• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question Worried about phone and computer radiation...

ryann39

Commendable
Nov 19, 2017
Hello,
I have recently become concerned about the radiation that emits from my iPhone and my gaming computer. I’m on my phone and gaming computer quite often and I’m worried that the radiation from them can harm my health. I used a wired headset for my gaming computer and I play a decent amount of video games. I enjoy them because it’s fun, and I also love watching YouTube videos on my iPad and iPhone. However I have read that all of these contain radiation that can be harmful to health. When I am gaming on my computer am I exposed to radiation? Please let me know I’m a bit worried.

Hello,
I have recently become concerned about the radiation that emits from my iPhone and my gaming computer. I’m on my phone and gaming computer quite often and I’m worried that the radiation from them can harm my health. I used a wired headset for my gaming computer and I play a decent amount of video games. I enjoy them because it’s fun, and I also love watching YouTube videos on my iPad and iPhone. However I have read that all of these contain radiation that can be harmful to health. When I am gaming on my computer am I exposed to radiation? Please let me know I’m a bit worried.
No the radiation will not effect your health. They emit low frequency EM waves in the radio wave range which if you didn't know is swirling around you at all times anyway because it's used to broadcast freaking everything from radio and satellite TV to RADAR and telescopes. The radiation you'll come across everyday which can cause you harm is UV which is from the Sun, tanning beds etc. Doubt you'll come into contact with significant X or gamma ray radiation unless you're living in Chernobyl or going for an X-ray (and even then you'd need to have about 300 chest X-rays a year to cause damage)

Jul 30, 2020
There is evidence that ionizing radiation does have negative effects over your health. Ionizing = with enough energy (higher frequencies) to excite electrons enough so they'll go wild. Examples of this are the ones provided by LordVile.

Now about the non-ionizing radiation, such as microwaves and other radiation coming from low energy devices such as phones and computers there is no scientific evidence or significant results that indicate that they are harmful to your health apart from the eye damage caused by blue lights and high energy (close to UV) lights.:D

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS