Would Sandy Bridge prices get competitive with upcoming Bulldozer???

I have heard it will be in the same ballpark. The 4 core will be a little lower than $200, the 6 core will be the 2500k price, and the 8 core will be the 2600k price.

processor-pro

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
Bulldozer is basically aimed for gamers. It has a build in GPU alot like SB, and basically the point is to build a better AMD version of SB. It will be faster but Intel is working on Ivy bridge which is supposed to "Faster" but either way one is always gonna win so I don't even bother just buy whats best now.

I'd say yes, but how much depends on how Bulldozer preforms and how AMD prices it. If it becomes a case of AMD forcing Intel to lower their prices (which hasn't happened since Athlon 64 vs P4) or a case of Intel lowering prices to undercut AMD you won't know till it gets here.

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished

I hope they do..But intel is a shrewd business man.So to me no.

I should add that Intel already prices their CPUs pretty low. There is honestly nothing stopping them from having a higher price on the 2600K. In fact, it would have made sense to price the entire Sandy Bridge lineup higher till they got rid of all the LGA 1156 CPUs. Heck they still have LGA 775 CPUs out there. Just like the 990X, if you want the best you'll pay 1k for the CPU no matter how much you bitch about it. I think they simply are leaving room for LGA 1366 replacement

BD is supposed to be spot on with SB. It will not necessarily be faster, and if it is by a little, not by as much as you say. It isn't even out, so don't say things like they are fact. Please, if you are going to be here, don't act like you know something when you don't. Also, games only accept up to 4 threads, which means the most you are going to get out of a BD for gaming is a quad. That is less that half there line-up to be aimed towards gamers.

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
AMD usually prices cpus more aggressily, but everytime the performance is on par with Intels then at some point Intel will have to lower their prices. Competition is always great, if only we had one more major CPU maker in the same consumer sector as intel and AMD...

Bulldozer Zambezi does not have an integrated GPU -- the upcoming Llano ***-series APUs include *** Redwood-class graphics processor with 'Stars' CPU cores.

In 2012, the 'real' Fusion APUs will include Bulldozer cores/modules with an integrated (yet to be named) GPGPU on die.

And AMD is not building *** 'better version of SB' -- their designs and plans could not be more divergent. They are both moving, however, toward *** SoC.

I suspect AMDs pricing to be quite aggressive (if their recent history with nVidia holds to form)

ATi RaDEoN

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
The intel's architecture of processor is considered as the world's most refined mean. Just take an example of 'sandybridge' CPU, i7 2600k is the fastest processor in the world today, the i7 980x (990x for now) has an old architecture named 'Nehalem', at time considered the fastest has now been beaten into dust by the 2600k. Before that, older i7 processors were outperformed by Nehalem, as we can say that, in the case of intel we have seen consistent improvement in performance with the change of architectural design, like Bloomfield < Nehalem < sandybridge.

But in the case of AMD, the performance improvement was inconsistent. eg: AMD Phenom II x6 1090 T black edition is slower than AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE. The technology and architecture which AMD used was not up the par. Like 10mm and 10.00000000000000001 mm have the difference of 0.00000000000000001 mm which AMD considered as 10 mm and used the same measurments for their processors.

The intel is the sign of perfection but AMD is not. I doubt the success of bulldozer. The SB may beat it in dust

It depends. If it takes a 8 core BD to compete with SB, then I don't think SB will drop price much.

The other only does pricing based on the competition. If Intel is better in performance, AMD will lower their prices and seem to be the "cost friendly" option. If AMD is the better performer then its vice versa. AMD prices everything very high and Intel has some stuff a bit cheaper.

I think BD will be close to SB but not enough to make Intel really drop the pricing.

That is because the 965 and 1090 are both Phenom IIs. One has more cores than the other!

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Sandy Bridge currently are already very competitive, not just competitive with AMD but with Intel's first generation chips.

As far as future Intel chips it all depends on how Bulldozer performs in the real world. Intel will not price their chips competitively unless the performance requires them to do so. Considering how great the new Sandy Bridge chips perform and what is being said about Ivy Bridge I highly doubt AMD's Bulldozer will be able to perform on par to drive prices down.

So with that said, I'm not expecting too many Ivy Bridge chips to fall below the $500 price mark, and Sandy Bridge chips are already an excellent buy for a good quad core with great overclocking abilities.

halfcalf

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
IMHO: Neither BD or SB-E are competing in the junior leagues so unless their pricing is way out of whack, I don't think that a difference of less than $100 or so is going to impact anyone seriously considering those CPUs. Let's face it... a typical SB-E rig is going to top two grand if done properly with a decent mobo, SSD and enough of that lovely quad channel RAM so the exact pricing of the CPU is not going to be as huge a factor as it would with an Atom build.

Ummm, I don't think that is very true. You can build a SB system with $1,000. You just need to buy what you need. I would say $1,200 for a properly built SB system though. There is no quad-channel RAM that I know of. Correct me if I am wrong though, I would love to know more about it. Also, tri-channel RAM doesn't really impact performance much. Dual-channel is enough for most people, and the best z68 motherboard only supports dual channel. As far as SSDs go, you don't need it for a storage drive, only a boot drive.

halfcalf

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010

Yeah, and you don't really need a case, you can make do with a 250w PSU and you can use a block of ice instead of an HSF... :pt1cable:

The point is that most people are going to build serious and thus costly SB-E rigs and (like me) they're going to use every single byte of RAM that the quad channel on the X79 mobos allow. BTW, the LGA2011 mobos will all be quad-channel compatible, so look to filling out up to 8 delectable RAM slots! Wheeeeee! :bounce:

kfitzenreiter

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I really hope Bulldozer lives up to the hype.

I've seen some probably bogus youtube videos that claim a WEI of 7.9 for a developers bulldozer system. My fear is the site is just BULL minus the dozer, but I would love it if AMD hits it out of the park.

halfcalf

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
I was an AMD fan for many years, then when Conroe came along and there was no direct competitor so I jumped to Intel. I've been extremely happy with all my Intel systems to date, but I'd be more than happy to go BD and not have to wait another few months for SB-E if BD is as great a CPU as some of these very unreliable leaks make it out to be! I think that it's difficult at this point to differentiate the truth from the nonsense but it should all shake out in the next couple of weeks! :)

You can build a serious system with 1.2 grand.

halfcalf

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
Not likely on SB-E. The LGA2011 mobos alone will likely premiere at $300 and up, I doubt that the quad will sell for under $350, and then what's the point of leaving RAM slots empty... so there's another $300+ for 8 x 4 GB of the cheapest memory. We're around a grand and we still have a lot of components to buy. Sure, it can be done on the cheap, but it's like buying a Ferrari engine and shoehorning it into a Kia Rio. :)

You don't need 4gb x 8 sticks.... Also, SB is not LGA 2011. OCing is better when using 2 slots. You don't need 32gb RAM. 8gb is fine if you want all slots filled... Also, you can find great LGA 1155 motherboard for $150 bucks. A high end GPU, 8gb RAM, a core i5 2500k, a nice CPU cooler, etc. will not cost $2,000. I have looked into it.

TRENDING THREADS