Your Experience with Windows 10

Page 59 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

James_carton00

Commendable
Feb 10, 2017
If your Defender is a problem so use the another Microsoft Solution with the name of Microsoft End Point Security. This is the best Security product easy use environment like a Microsoft Security Essential

Cameochi2

Prominent
Apr 14, 2017

I have used Kaspersky Internet Security for years and have no plans to change. I have little faith in Defender although I know not everyone would agree.

CropEditPaste

Honorable
May 13, 2016
So here's my piece of mind on Windows 10:

Microsoft plz fix.

Hear me out though, it has its good and bad parts, but for me it sucks right now but hopefully will get better in the future. Remember Windows 7, when you got that fresh copy, threw it in the disk drive, and then it installed it and it just had a base operating platform that worked? (for me worked right off the bat, I can't speak for the troubled) That's what I wish Windows 10 had. The only thing I want is the base operating system please, none of that junky app store crap or the default filled settings. That's what Windows 10 is missing. It is trying to use a whole "app store" thing like Apple, and it sucks really bad. Like stop supporting and remove bad. Into the garbage bad. Incinerator bad. Blast it into orbit bad. Ech. The user should be able to choose what he/she wants when installing, and have it from there on out. Microsoft also should work on some of those things we wish the OS had so we didn't have to install proprietary software to make it happen. We all have those things. But that's all I wanted with my Windows 10, just something basic that I could build off of. I DON'T WANT PRE-INSTALLED CRAP ON MY BLESSED COMPUTER. There are more things that I could go on about, but the good thing about Windows 10 now is that it is ok for the average user. It comes with social media apps preinstalled. That's good for the average person. But it just doesn't flow, it doesn't feel uniform.

That's my take on Windows 10.

Cameochi2

Prominent
Apr 14, 2017
I hear you CropEditPaste. I beta tested Windows 7 and loved it as soon as I got my hands on it. I ordered it before it was released and it worked right out of the box. Windows 10 build 1511 destroyed my old computer which was four years old. It wiped out the Intel video driver which made my system unrecoverable. I had to go out and buy a new computer. Now I am told we should make an image before installing a new build. My thought is that Microsoft should test their software to make sure that it works in the first place. I started in computers in 1964 and I've used every version of Windows. Right now even ME would preferable to 10 in terms of stability. I spent a lot of time under hood but at least I could keep my system working. As for the junk, I can usually find ways to get rid of most it - often from tips I see on this site but that is getting old and I am now seriously considering Linux. I just want to some peace and quiet on my computer.

No amount of driver destruction can make a computer unrecoverable(The bios for instance does not rely on any drivers). It is not like boards come with drivers installed. Something else must have gone wrong. It may have even been bad timing.

Microsoft has a fairly long beta of Windows 10 (Insider program). It is still running and testing new version on a very large pool of systems. Trust me I have had insider builds break all kinds of things including the entire OS. The real problem is that PC's come in 1000s of configurations and even with this much testing strange things happen. The strangest I have seen is an inability to install with USB 2.0 ports on an older system(3.0 ports work). The system is about 7 years old so I expect some possible issues.

I am not saying this is the best OS, but it has come a long way since beta and people loved XP(so much that they did not want to leave it even on newer systems that had no issues on Vista and SP1 and Nvidia finally getting stable drivers) even if it released with many of its own issues.

Stevemid

Prominent
Apr 21, 2017
Yesterday I was scanning a long legal document. Windows thought it was time to upgrade itself. It gave me the option of restarting NOW or at 1:46PM. I chose the latter thinking I'd get another chance to delay things. Nope. Scanning still going on, in the editing phase of a long Quora response and Windows stops everything and restarts itself to perform an upgrade of itself. To me this is yet another perfect example of how the culture of "Microsoft Owns the Desktop" still pervades the company to this day. Oh if Linux had the drivers for this Multifunction printer (or I wasn't too lazy to look!)

Dual boot W10 Ubuntu 14.04
MEDION® AKOYA® P5110 D (MD 8804)
Intel® Core™ i5-6400 processor
Windows 10 Home
128 GB Samsung SSD
2 TB hard drive
8 GB DDR4 RAM
HP Officejet 5610

USAFRet

Titan

It gave you the option of Now, or Later.
You chose later, as most of us do.
That would have been the time for you to close whatever doc you had opened, save, and allow it to reboot.
Then continue on...

You can adjust the active hours to try to avoid this. You are correct it is a pain to have to deal with the forced update.

One of the biggest issues is that Windows got a pretty bad name for security over the years of users not getting any updates.

My first guess is they are trying to prevent this(but should give you more time before forcing the update.).

For my home computer this policy is not an issue(I see updates are ready then save what I am doing and get them right away).

Colif

Win 11 Master
if it was installing the creators edition, they have actually extended the length of time you can set as non update hours to 18, so perhaps this won't happen again. I think the number of days you can stall an update is only 3 or something and then it will do it whenever it can.

Yeah, i get my home ones as soon as I find out one is live.

Cameochi2

Prominent
Apr 14, 2017

Cameochi2

Prominent
Apr 14, 2017
I had deferred the update. That way I can prepare for the worst - just in case. After I made an image of the hard drive and did another backup of the User directory. I clicked on the link to "be one of the first to get it." That method of installation went much better than the regular updates have gone and it is the method I will use from now on. Just make sure to wait until after the official released date as there may still be some minor changes in the works. The install was very smooth and I was pleased that it ran a compatibility check. Had that happened with build 1511 my old computer might still be around.

It bothers me though that we need to create an image of the hard drive to be safe - just in case. Never in all of my years with Windows has that ever been necessary until Windows 10. A part of me would love to go back to Windows 7 where I was happy but you don't win by running away and I am not going to give up. So far, this new computer has not had a problem. When my old one crashed there was no more C:\ drive. Hopefully, something that serious will never happen again. Windows 10 is getting better. I just hope they stop messing with the kernel. :)

Legit key?

I need to get one of these for my new PC build, MS products are ridiculously expensive here...
As expensive as the PC itself!

BTW, this thread is for sharing our experience about win10 :)

After using Windows 10 since first release until build 14393 (anniversary update), Windows Update Service still broken and NOT USER FRIENDLY AT ALL.

Here's my quick "rant"
When I was upgrading my Intel HD GPU driver into the latest one that Intel releases in their website, Windows Update keeps downgrading it to older version that first installed in my system (I bought the laptop with windows 10 preinstalled).
When I uninstall the driver that WU installs and installing the driver from Intel, it immediately downgrades and crash my system! I don't get display on my HDMI out and my laptop screen flickers. It forces me to clean reinstall the driver and trick the WU settings because it doesn't allow me to select updates to install!

I hope this very annoying problem can be fixed in creator's update.

Cameochi2

Prominent
Apr 14, 2017

You cannot restore a machine once the kernel is destroyed. NO C drive to restore and since it was almost five years old, no way to replace the CPU as it is no longer being made. Further, what would be the point if it will simply be destroyed again due to incompatibility? The best solution was to replace the system which is what I did. I have access to some excellent IT friends and that was their solution as well. Had Microsoft done due diligence and checked compatibility before running the update it would not have happened. This has happened to many people not just me.

USAFRet

Titan

So reinstall the OS.
The hardware was not 'destroyed', requiring replacement.

The kernel is NOT hardware and when destroyed can simply be reinstalled(sure it is a pain to get things back to the way you like them. That is what backup images are for). I destroyed Windows 10 many times on Insider builds. I never had issues getting it running again.

In the end, you can always go back to your old OS if 10 is not supported.

Just so you know the Insider program had and still has a very large number of people testing lots of different hardware. The fact is the number of computer configurations is massive. No one can take them all into account. This is one area that Apple has a large advantage. They have much less system variation and do not keep as much legacy support as Microsoft does(you can run very old software on Windows 10[not 16-bit and older on 64 bit systems old, but still very old.]).

I also destroy my windows kernel (or specifically bootmgr) when installing GRUB bootloader to dual boot with Linux.
Repaired it easily by reinstalling my windows from scratch.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You can fix boot manager normally by using bootrec tools in command prompt... or another one of the tools like bcdedit if it gets tricky. You can even remake the MBR or EFI partition if need be. Its only if hdd goes raw that you might have to replace hardware but that is pretty rare and might just be revealing a bad drive, not a windows fault.

If someone completely destroy their windows and doesn't have enough technical skills to fix it, Reinstalling windows from scratch can solve the problem easily and does not wipe the windows activation. Starting with windows 8 and above product key is stored on system BIOS and activation status are stored on MS activation server. Windows 10 users have their activation status and product key stored on their MS account.

But, USAFRet way to do a comprehensive backup is a good thing and maybe it's easier than installing windows from scratch.

Froberg

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
Other than the forced updates that can't be postponed or disabled, at least not for any longer period of time, and the seemingly frequent resetting of my preferred apps, I am very happy with this OS.

I have actually restored multiple machines in states of "unrepairable" by many others. I don't recommend it as there is always something else wrong but I have done it. I have done it for XP, Vista, 7, 8 etc.

Either way the hardware is fine. Nothing an OS can do would destroy the hardware.

There is anyone tried windows 10 creators update yet?

Looks like MS bringing lots of feature to the OS:
https://betanews.com/2017/04/07/windows-10-creators-update-changelog-nearly-everything-thats-new-or-improved/

Froberg

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008

Using it now, no issues so far. Works fine :)

Status
Not open for further replies.