Dec 5, 2020
Hello. I recently got into pc building and after countless hours of research im going to give it a shot. I am a little stuck about something though and it seems hard to get a clear answer. I was looking at buying an evga z490 dark motherboard and i know intel doesnt have pci-e gen 4 yet, but is rumored to be releasing it in their 11th gen cpus. Is it likely that z490 boards will be able to use gen 4, if intel indeed does get it with their 11th gen chips? Of course, a new cpu will be needed but will a new motherboard be too? I really liked that board and my next favorite would be the asus rog maximus xii apex which i read will be capable of gen 4. I reached out to evga support and they only said basically since intel 10th gen chips dont have it, z490 motherboards dont. Its really hard to find information about gen 4 online especially about evga motherboards for some reason. Im kind of torn if i should assume evga will be able to support gen 4 on their z490 flagship board or play it safe and get the asus rog maximus apex (its more like wanting to buy a luxury sports car and having to settle on a honda civic, i know the apex is good but thats what it feels like to me).

Suggestions and feedback would be greatly appreciated
thank you in advance for your time

Solution
Z490 boards don't support PCIE 4.0.
They might get that with a BIOS update (theoretically), but don't count on that.
More likely some new future chipset board will be required - like Z570, Z590.
Dec 5, 2020
They might get that with a BIOS update (theoretically), but don't count on that.
Realistic me says your probably right, optimistic me is hopefully thats not the case. I get buying pc parts is a balance between waiting because there is always something newer and better coming out soon but you got to pull the trigger some time and just buy it. But i think pci-e gen 4 is a big enough thing that i just want to make sure my bases are covered. From what i understand evga has a step up program so i was thinking of trying to get the 90 window for that. Do you know if there is a good list for motherboards that will support gen 4? I'd like to wait but i needed to get a pc years ago, now that im working from home too i really need to get something soon so waiting until april isnt a good option for me. Any recommendations? I just wish there was better information because this is really stressing me out.

Dec 5, 2020
I looked into Ryzen. But good luck finding a 5000 series chip and I'm not advanced enough to be a beta tester for them, there has always been software issues with their new launches. I'm thinking that it will be like ray tracing and start to be implemented over the next year. I guess I could probably upgrade next year when the new boards and chips are cheaper as well. I probably shouldn't over think it