Question Z590 Vision D Motherboard and PCIE Graphics Card questions

OffbeatBryce

Honorable
Mar 27, 2017
Hello,

I am very new to installing graphic cards in general and my Motherboard is unique in that it has a Display Port in.

I have a Gigabyte Z590 Vision D Motherboard and want to install a NVIDIA Quadro m4000 graphics card via PCIE. From my understanding, I need to go from the Display port out on the graphics card to Display in on my Motherboard and then use Thunderbolt to HDMI cable to see the display.

Is this correct? If so how do I utilize the other display ports on the back of the Quadro graphics card? Do I need to install the drivers for the card before I put the card in the system or will the card automatically be recognized?

Also, I've heard of external PCIE bays that connect via Thunderbolt. Would this be an easier method/more compatible with my system?

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The other display ports on the card should just work.

If you had a thunderbolt or type-C Display Port only display, maybe, but since it is HDMI, just plug in a Display Port to HDMI cable? Nothing wrong with getting a thunderbolt to HDMI, might come in handy later I suppose.

Far as I can tell, one of the GPU's outputs to the input on the board, and then the thunderbolt ports will carry the display port signal.

OffbeatBryce

Honorable
Mar 27, 2017
do you have a usb-c/thunderbolt monitor?

no, I don't but the motherboard manual says this "Step 1: Connect your DisplayPort cable or Mini-DisplayPort cable (purchased separately) from the graphics card to the DisplayPort In port on the back panel. Step 2: Then connect the DisplayPort or Thunderbolt™ devices to VisionLINK TB connector to complete." Seems like I need to connect my GPU Display out to the Display In port on the back of my computer but I'm confused if I need thunderbolt at all or if I can connect the display out on the back panel of my computer to my monitor once i connect the display port in on the back panel from my graphics card display out

OffbeatBryce

Honorable
Mar 27, 2017
The other display ports on the card should just work.

If you had a thunderbolt or type-C Display Port only display, maybe, but since it is HDMI, just plug in a Display Port to HDMI cable? Nothing wrong with getting a thunderbolt to HDMI, might come in handy later I suppose.

Far as I can tell, one of the GPU's outputs to the input on the board, and then the thunderbolt ports will carry the display port signal.

Except I only have one Thunderbolt port that acts as a display. The second Thunderbolt Port is for data only like drives. This comes directly from the z590 vision D manual. also, PC Partpicker is saying the graphics card I have isn't compatible with the motherboard I have but not sure why it wouldn't be as the card's specs indicate it accepts PCIE 3.0 x16 and there is a PCIE 3.0 and 4.0x16 slots

rgd1101

Don't
no, I don't but the motherboard manual says this "Step 1: Connect your DisplayPort cable or Mini-DisplayPort cable (purchased separately) from the graphics card to the DisplayPort In port on the back panel. Step 2: Then connect the DisplayPort or Thunderbolt™ devices to VisionLINK TB connector to complete." Seems like I need to connect my GPU Display out to the Display In port on the back of my computer but I'm confused if I need thunderbolt at all or if I can connect the display out on the back panel of my computer to my monitor once i connect the display port in on the back panel from my graphics card display out
only if your monitor support that feature.

have you just try connect the monitor to the gpu directly?

rgd1101

Don't
still waiting on what your monitor model
are you using some adapter from the gpu displayport to the monitor?

is this a new or used Quadro M4000 ? test it on another system?

let go back and list your full system spec and include brand and model of the psu
what os? bios set for legacy?

yes and what it does is it bypasses the internal gpu and nothing shows up on the display. That’s why I’m thinking I need to go out from the nvidia card to display in on the card.
are you saying you getting display output on the monitor if you did that?

OffbeatBryce

Honorable
Mar 27, 2017
still waiting on what your monitor model
are you using some adapter from the gpu displayport to the monitor?

is this a new or used Quadro M4000 ? test it on another system?

let go back and list your full system spec and include brand and model of the psu
what os? bios set for legacy?

are you saying you getting display output on the monitor if you did that?

I actually haven't tried this yet as I don't currently have Thunderbolt to HDMI cable but according to the motherboard manual which I linked above in the screenshot that seems to be the case

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Displayport input on the motherboard allows video passthrough from gpu and out via usbc. You would do that if monitor was usbc only. But there are Displayport to usbc cables anyway. It's just a feature not a necessity if your monitor can be connected to monitor from gpu directly.

Drivers you install after installing gpu because driver package needs to detect the card first before proceeding.

Last edited:

OffbeatBryce

Honorable
Mar 27, 2017
Displayport input on the motherboard allows video passthrough from gpu and out via usbc. You would do that if monitor was usbc only. But there are Displayport to usbc cables anyway. It's just a feature not a necessity if your monitor can be connected to monitor from gpu directly.

Drivers you install after installing gpu because driver package needs to detect the card first before proceeding.

that's the problem because as soon as i install the GPU in the computer there is no display whatsoever on my monitor. As soon as I take GPU out I get a display from the internal GPU

OffbeatBryce

Honorable
Mar 27, 2017

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Gpu disables igpu on most motherboards needing user input to change multi monitor support if possible. If connected to motherboard video ports it would give the impression that there is a display soon as gpu is removed.

Motherboard vga ports meant for igpu don't route gpu video.

OffbeatBryce

Honorable
Mar 27, 2017
Gpu disables igpu on most motherboards needing user input to change multi monitor support if possible. If connected to motherboard video ports it would give the impression that there is a display soon as gpu is removed.

Motherboard vga ports meant for igpu don't route gpu video.

how do I turn on multi monitor support?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Page 55 of manual.

Display Output
Specifies the first initiation of the monitor display from the installed PCI Express graphics card or the onboard
graphics.
IGFX(Note) Sets the onboard graphics as the first display.
PCIe 1 Slot Sets the graphics card on the PCIEX16 slot as the first display. (Default)
PCIe 2 Slot Sets the graphics card on the PCIEX8 slot as the first display.
PCIe 3 Slot Sets the graphics card on the PCIEX4 slot as the first display.

This item is configurable only when CSM Support is set to Enabled.

& Internal Graphics
Enables or disables the onboard graphics function. (Default: Auto)

Not sure if igpu is automatically disabled if pcie slot detects a card. Check internal graphics is set to enable, auto might disable it. And try igpu being first display and see if you can boot to Windows with the graphics card in and a display from motherboard ports. If you get this far try install Nvidia drivers and see if it detects the card.

---

that's the problem because as soon as i install the GPU in the computer there is no display whatsoever on my monitor. As soon as I take GPU out I get a display from the internal GPU

I don't get this though. In this scenario, where is the video cable connected to? Or are you swapping video cable around from gpu to motherboard when card is removed?

If you are swapping video cable to gpu and there is no display then that's not normal and appears there's something wrong with card. Do you have Hdmi cable you could try? Just in case gpu is being stubborn about which port it's prioritising.

Last edited: