Question 1 USB port short circuiting computer - What is the cause?

Mar 11, 2019
Hi everyone.

I recently purchased a new CPU, motherboard and RAM combo. Since this upgrade my computer shuts down if I plug any USB device into one specific back port.

There is a small spark and the pc instantly turns off, no warning messages that I could see in time. The USB device does not need to be connected fully for this to happen, it happens as I am starting to insert it.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? What is the most likely reason?

My PC specs are as follows:
AMD Ryzen 7 2700x 8 core
ASUS B450 TUF GAMING-PLUS
HyperX predator 24GB RGB RAM
Windows 10 Pro
AMD Radeon R9380 (several years old)
Thermanltake 550w PSU (several years old)

Thanks

Mar 9, 2019
thats bad 4-5 yrs old it might need changing and not event 80+ certified i think thers ur problem either that or the problem lies in the motherboard did u try the cases front case usb ports or motherboards back usb ports

Mar 11, 2019
I tried several ports. There is only one back port that is causing this issue. The rest, front and back, seem fine.

Thanks for your advice. I will try upgrade it asap.

Mar 9, 2019
it might just be the mobo not the psu anyway glad i could help try consulting asus ant check if u still got warranty if u do return it or if ur super lucky they might send u a new one

Mar 11, 2019
I have tried plugging in a headset and a wacom drawing tablet. Both had the same effect. That Asus thread looks very intimidating, also interesting that the the consumer in that thread was originally returning his Asus motherboard due to a USB issue.