Dukeofjamming

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
Hi, I have a system that I build in late september last year and has been running with no issues until I attempted to increase my memory amount.

My initial specs were
Ryzen 7 3700X
Gigabyte AORUS X570 Elite rev 1.0
16GB of Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3600MHZ DDR4 kit
RTX 2070

I have been using this system for the last 6 months or so with no issues however I made the decision to purchase a second 16GB identical kit so that I could use 32GB of ram.

After installing them I had the boot fail and had the bios reset and had to re-enable the XMP profile however it then worked fine. Awhile later I began to have various BSODs occuring intermittently with errors such as IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and other ones that all suggested memory could be at fault and since that is the only thing I changed I suspected the same. I have ran the windows memory diagnostic tool with the memory in a few different configurations and come up with some results that make me think that it is likely an issue with my motherboard and it will need replacing.

My original sticks were in slots A2 and B2 as advised by the manual for the motherboard and the new sticks were in slots A1 and B1. This failed the memory test and so I swapped the new sticks around so the stick in A1 was now in B1 and the stick in B1 was now in A1, this made no difference. It was still able to boot after having the first boot fail and then re-enabling the XMP profile and run at 3600MHz however still failed the memory test and crashed intermittently.

I proceeded to test the new kit on their own in slots A2 and B2 with the old ram removed. This runs perfectly after the initial boot fail and reset back to defaults when set at 3600MHz and passes the memory test with no issues. This makes me think that the fault is not with the memory as I suspect the defaulting of the bios is the result of detecting a memory configuration change?

Next I have tried inserting a single stick of the new memory kit into A1 and attempting to boot. My system will not post until it resets the bios and the stick will now be running at 2133MHz and will not boot if set back to 3600MHz at all. This is exactly the same for if there is a single stick in B1.

I have also tried flashing my bios to the latest version as there were multiple notes of improved XMP compatibility and memory compatibility with the newer revisions as I was on the oldest revision. This seems to have had no impact on my ability to run even just a single stick installed in A1 at full XMP speeds.

Are there any suggestions you have that I can make to try and get this working before I try RMAing my motherboard?

Mixing RAM always has a risk of issues even if the same make and model. RAM is only guaranteed in the kit it’s sold. With 4 sticks you are more likely to have issues than using 2.
You can try pushing the DRAM voltage up but don’t go past 1.4500v, ideally try to keep under 1.400v

Dukeofjamming

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
Mixing RAM always has a risk of issues even if the same make and model. RAM is only guaranteed in the kit it’s sold. With 4 sticks you are more likely to have issues than using 2.
You can try pushing the DRAM voltage up but don’t go past 1.4500v, ideally try to keep under 1.400v
I get what you mean, the issue I have that I want to resolve first I guess is that why can't my pc even boot a single stick of RAM at full speed in slots A1 or B1 as I would like to eliminate the chance of it being due to my motherboard before I give up on getting these kits to work and buy a 4x8GB kit only to have it still not work because of faulty slots or something similar and are there any further tests I can do other than trying a different boards.

Mar 9, 2020
Check if you have the option to set "Profile 2" as XMP setting in your BIOS.
This setting allows the Ryzen CPU to use the DRAM in a DUAL CHANNEL/DUAL RANK mode. If your BIOS doesn't have that option then you need a BIOS update or a new motherboard.
Anyhow, for Ryzen you should dive into a lot of technical aspects when it comes to using 4-slots of RAM and the motherboard might only support XMP "PROFILE 1" which makes the Ryzen CPU use only 2-slots in DUAL CHANNEL. (using 4-slots with profile 1 makes the system very unstable)

JamesLeaverland

Reputable
Apr 9, 2015
Check if you have the option to set "Profile 2" as XMP setting in your BIOS.
This setting allows the Ryzen CPU to use the DRAM in a DUAL CHANNEL/DUAL RANK mode. If your BIOS doesn't have that option then you need a BIOS update or a new motherboard.
Anyhow, for Ryzen you should dive into a lot of technical aspects when it comes to using 4-slots of RAM and the motherboard might only support XMP "PROFILE 1" which makes the Ryzen CPU use only 2-slots in DUAL CHANNEL. (using 4-slots with profile 1 makes the system very unstable)

I think you need some milk

Dukeofjamming

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
Also try up to 1.2V for SoC voltage.
Its your memory controller voltage.
I will give that a try in a little bit thanks, so with the SoC voltage shall i just increment it slowly and see if it fixes the issue with a single stick installed or all 4 as it seems a bit odd that with 4 sticks running XMP dual channel I can post just fine but with a single stick I cannot post at all at 3600MHz with the XMP profile.

I will give that a try in a little bit thanks, so with the SoC voltage shall i just increment it slowly and see if it fixes the issue with a single stick installed or all 4 as it seems a bit odd that with 4 sticks running XMP dual channel I can post just fine but with a single stick I cannot post at all at 3600MHz with the XMP profile.
Yes with a 4 sticks. One stick should work at 3600, did you try manually entering timings and voltage?

Dukeofjamming

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
Yes with a 4 sticks. One stick should work at 3600, did you try manually entering timings and voltage?
No I have not yet, I just had a thought, would it be worth me trying the single stick also in the other slots that I have not had issues with (A2, B2) and seeing if it can run at 3600MHz on the XMP profile there? I didn't previously as I was able to run dual channel in those two slots on the XMP profile with no issues. Would that also narrow it down to being a board issue with slots A1 and B1?

Dec 6, 2020
No I have not yet, I just had a thought, would it be worth me trying the single stick also in the other slots that I have not had issues with (A2, B2) and seeing if it can run at 3600MHz on the XMP profile there? I didn't previously as I was able to run dual channel in those two slots on the XMP profile with no issues. Would that also narrow it down to being a board issue with slots A1 and B1?
Did you ever fix this issue? I have got exactly the same problem at the moment