Question Accidentally connected Molex power cable to Chasis fan header

Sep 18, 2024
The cable management I did was a little messy behind the case, i grabbed a cable very similar to PWM 4-pin connector that I thought are for the fans so i connected that into the motherboard chasis fan header (after disconnecting PSU Molex cable from the fans) without noticing that it is coming out from the power supply Molex cables branch (it's a female type, that's what made me think its coming from the fans. I still have no idea why such cable is coming out from Molex cable branch).

I pushed the power button and the computer didn't turn on (no noise or a fan blade turns), by then I realized the stupid mistake i did. I disconnected the cable and the computer turned back on without any issues.

The question is, could the motherboard chasis fan header be damaged and broken at this point? I don't have a fan that connects to the header to confirm whether its working or not, they all use Molex cables to connect directly to the power supply.

Motherboard: Asus Prime H610M-K D4 (CHA_FAN header)

Sorry if my english is bad.

Sep 18, 2024
include the power supply make & model.

of course it could be.
likely not, but you wouldn't know until trying it.

are you planning on upgrading your fans to use PWM models?
if not, and you don't plan on reselling the board, then it shouldn't really matter.
I recently purchased the pc case and thought the pre installed fans has PWM cable.
They have weak airflow and no PWM so yes i will replace them soon with PWM models.