Status
Not open for further replies.

CpuBurner

Honorable
Apr 22, 2017
Just asking this as a precaution incase I damaged my cpu cause I don't think I'll get any sleep tonight if I don't get an answer 😅😅. Ok, so I just got a Ryzen 5 5600x and when talking it out of its plastic case I accidentally, but very gently (thank God) touched the middle part of the underside where there are no pins (I'm certain I didn't touch any of the pins from around). I believe my hands were pretty clean and I even looked at it with a basic magnifying glass under a bright light. I think I didn't leave any residue (and I didn't hear or feel a spark when it happened). Should I be worried about it or can I install it normally on my motherboard?

Bonus question: Can even a tiny speck of dust that might be on the cpu when installing it on the mb cause trouble?

Thank you for taking the time to read this. If any additional information is needed I'll be glad to provide it.

Solution
First off ignore my username 😂 (ironically that's the name I picked 5 years ago when I registered LOL). Just asking this as a precaution incase I damaged my cpu cause I don't feel safe installing it before I get an answer 😅😅. Ok, so I just got a Ryzen 5 5600x and when talking it out of its plastic case I accidentally, but very gently (thank God) touched the middle part of the underside where there are no pins (I'm certain I didn't touch any of the pins from around). I believe my hands were pretty clean and I even looked at it with a basic magnifying glass under a bright light. I think I didn't leave any residue (and I didn't hear or feel a spark when it happened). Should I be worried about it or can I install it normally on my...

CpuBurner

Honorable
Apr 22, 2017
Except for the giant, flame throwing, nuclear radiation-producing mushroom cloud that the "tiny speck of dust" will turn into the 1st time you turn your pc on, you have absolutely NUTHIN to worry about, hehehe :)

j/k !!!!!!!!!!!

Go for it !
OH MY GOD I KNE- oh had me there for a sec heh 🥲. Thanks for your answer also!

CpuBurner

Honorable
Apr 22, 2017
I know I probably should've done this from the start, but I thought better late than never so I took a couple pictures to share just in case. I'm being completely paranoid but (if the pictures are clear enough) I just want the opinion of someone who knows better than me 😅. Thanks a lot.
IMG-20220911-020531-2.jpg
IMG-20220911-020608-2.jpg

CpuBurner

Honorable
Apr 22, 2017
First off ignore my username 😂 (ironically that's the name I picked 5 years ago when I registered LOL). Just asking this as a precaution incase I damaged my cpu cause I don't feel safe installing it before I get an answer 😅😅. Ok, so I just got a Ryzen 5 5600x and when talking it out of its plastic case I accidentally, but very gently (thank God) touched the middle part of the underside where there are no pins (I'm certain I didn't touch any of the pins from around). I believe my hands were pretty clean and I even looked at it with a basic magnifying glass under a bright light. I think I didn't leave any residue (and I didn't hear or feel a spark when it happened). Should I be worried about it or can I install it normally on my motherboard? I hope the pictures I took are clear enough and that they are actually helpful.

Bonus question: Can even a speck of dust that might be on the cpu when installing it on the mb cause trouble?

Thank you for taking the time to read this. If any additional information is needed I'll be glad to provide it.

First off ignore my username 😂 (ironically that's the name I picked 5 years ago when I registered LOL). Just asking this as a precaution incase I damaged my cpu cause I don't feel safe installing it before I get an answer 😅😅. Ok, so I just got a Ryzen 5 5600x and when talking it out of its plastic case I accidentally, but very gently (thank God) touched the middle part of the underside where there are no pins (I'm certain I didn't touch any of the pins from around). I believe my hands were pretty clean and I even looked at it with a basic magnifying glass under a bright light. I think I didn't leave any residue (and I didn't hear or feel a spark when it happened). Should I be worried about it or can I install it normally on my motherboard? I hope the pictures I took are clear enough and that they are actually helpful.

Bonus question: Can even a speck of dust that might be on the cpu when installing it on the mb cause trouble?

In short no you have not damaged your CPU by touching the PCB in the centre of the pins. It's the pins you should be concerned about, even then it's bending them that is really the issue. Dust may interfere with the contact between the pins and the socket but unless it's significant it's unlikely to cause a problem. Your CPU looks pretty clean, I would just install it. In future you can use compressed air to clean dust off the CPU or the socket. If your ever dealing with an LGA socket (Intel and AM5) then I would not hold the can close to the socket as the force of the air can bend the pins.

Reactions: CpuBurner
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS