Question Adding an unsupported amount of storage to laptop

Mar 20, 2021
My laptop specs says that it supports this for storage:

*Supports Quadruple-Storage System
128/256GB mSATA SSD
128/256GB mSATA SSD + 500/750GB/1TB 2.5" HDD 5400/7200rpm
128/256GB mSATA SSD + 128/256GB mSATA SSD + 500/750GB/1TB 2.5" HDD 5400/7200rpm
500/750GB/1TB 2.5" HDD 5400/7200rpm

I would like to upgrade my SATA disk to a 2tb SSD. Can I safely upgrade to a 2tb ssd on the SATA drive? Can I even put 1 or 2tb in the mSATA slot?
What happens if I put an unsupported amount of storage in my laptop?

It is going to be hard to predict what your laptop's BIOS will/will not support...

Perhaps with a specific brand/model, you can search for your laptop's support section on the manufacturer's website, looking for success stories with some 1 or 2 TB models used within the same model, or, see if there are any BIOS updates (with procedures) that might improve which brands/sizes will function...

Mar 20, 2021
It is going to be hard to predict what your laptop's BIOS will/will not support...

Perhaps with a specific brand/model, you can search for your laptop's support section on the manufacturer's website, looking for success stories with some 1 or 2 TB models used within the same model, or, see if there are any BIOS updates (with procedures) that might improve which brands/sizes will function...

hey I can’t find anything about anyone adding extra storage space that high. If I purchase a 2tb ssd or mSATA ssd and the laptop can read it and it works, is there any risk of other problems? Or is the only problem with adding an unsupported amount of storage that that laptop could not read it?
The laptop is not a common one and it has Ubuntu installed.

As you still refrain from providing any basic laptop details other than 'it's a laptop', it is still difficult o speculate.

If, after installation of desired SSD, as long as the device shows in BIOS, and if it is presented to the OS as an installation destination, then it should likely work without issue.

If it does not, you can remove it, and at least place it in a USB adapter and use it as external USB storage.

Mar 20, 2021
As you still refrain from providing any basic laptop details other than 'it's a laptop', it is still difficult o speculate.

If, after installation of desired SSD, as long as the device shows in BIOS, and if it is presented to the OS as an installation destination, then it should likely work without issue.

If it does not, you can remove it, and at least place it in a USB adapter and use it as external USB storage.

sorry, I didn’t mean to avoid mentioning the brand of the laptop. I just wasn’t able to find that information myself and no one asked.
the laptop is a Gigabyte P35k.
Cool, so if it boots with the SSD then it’s fine, but it possibly won’t?
Do you think I could get even 2tb on mSSD given the specifications of what it supports?

Mar 20, 2021

hey any idea?

So there is two options that seems obvious to me, so try these:
  • Make direct contact with Gigabyte and ask them, preferably using mail. If that is not possible, try to see if they have a official forum - create an account and put the questions in the correct place.
  • When you buy a storage device, make sure you can return it and money back even if unpacked / tested.
Also, whenever you figure out what work for you, please leave a comment here in case other stumbles into same question 🆒