nvyrectangle

Reputable
Aug 19, 2017
Hello! I'm going to upgrade my pc, but can't decide whenever i should go with intel or amd. My choice is between I5-10400 and R5 3600 (both are falling into the same price category for my country) I'm mostly using pc for games. What should i go with? And which one of these is more future proof?

Solution
Hello! I'm going to upgrade my pc, but can't decide whenever i should go with intel or amd. My choice is between I5-10400 and R5 3600 (both are falling into the same price category for my country) I'm mostly using pc for games. What should i go with? And which one of these is more future proof?
Newbie answer here, but still. With Intel you will need an external graphics card. Recent AMD CPU's might have an internal GPU, check the exact CPU type om the AMD site. I'm not quite sure whether an internal GPU is good enough for (modern) gaming.
In general I read that Inter is somewhat better overclockable, but an AMD with similar processing power has less TDP.
Check also if the CPU supports hyperthreading. I read a comparison...

dimtodim

Reputable
what now u have? if u go for amd that is new build if u have now intel...or i dont know

Oct 27, 2020
Newbie answer here, but still. With Intel you will need an external graphics card. Recent AMD CPU's might have an internal GPU, check the exact CPU type om the AMD site. I'm not quite sure whether an internal GPU is good enough for (modern) gaming.
In general I read that Inter is somewhat better overclockable, but an AMD with similar processing power has less TDP.
Check also if the CPU supports hyperthreading. I read a comparison somewhere between an six-core six-thread I5 and a six-core 12-thread AMD Ryzen - AMD was a clear winner. Also the amount of on-die cache is important.
Another valid question: are there any components in your current system that you might want to reuse?
With regards to being future-proof: AMD fits this more.
If I were you and if I were building a new gaming rig from scratch - I would stick to Ryzen. But that's only my $0.02.

Reactions: ssbaraskar99
Solution

nvyrectangle

Reputable
Aug 19, 2017
Intel Core i7-4790K
the best cpu what your mobo support
  • # of Cores4
  • # of Threads8
if u can find pre owned for good price buy
this is better cpu R5 3600 buy u need new mobo, ram...what is your budget?
About 650$, my plan is to get a new mobo, cpu, ram, hdd, m.2 and ram. By my calculations i fall right in the mark with either 3600 and 10400 (intel being even cheaper by few bucks). As for video card i have gtx 1060 6gb atm, planning to get 3070 in the future.