[SOLVED] ASRock B450m pro4-f, where should I put the ram?

Dec 25, 2020
Hello, I have bought the motherboard Asrock B450m pro4-f, with a ryzen 5 3600 (with Matisse achitecture) and 8gb of ram (corsair, 2666Mhz : CMK8GX4M1A2666C16), and I wanted to be sure that i dont make a mistake, so can you tell me where shoud I put the ram (on A1,A2,B1 or B2)?
I think that's on A1 but i just want a confirmation.

Here is the link to see motherboard's specifications : https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450M Pro4-F/#Specification.

thank you !

ps: the picture of the installation guide :
4xMatisse-3200-2667.png

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2020
NP

Oh, and BTW, the SR and DR stuff means 'single rank' or 'dual rank'. Not all kits tell you that, but if you're selecting memory off the QVL I'd hope Asrock is keeping it straight for you.
I have seen on this website that the ram is compatible : Compatible Memory with ASRock B450M PRO4-F - Pangoly .
And how can I know if my ram is SR or DR (i can't find this information on the web)?
But for my build, SR or DR is not really important no?

I have seen on this website that the ram is compatible : Compatible Memory with ASRock B450M PRO4-F - Pangoly .
And how can I know if my ram is SR or DR (i can't find this information on the web)?
But for my build, SR or DR is not really important no?
As I said, not all kits will tell you what rank they are. So I'd assume Asrock did that leg work when listing it on the web site.

And you're probably right: it may not be that important. It's probably only important when trying to push a heavy memory overclock at tight timings. Not everyone cares to do that.

Dec 25, 2020
As I said, not all kits will tell you what rank they are. So I'd assume Asrock did that leg work when listing it on the web site.

And you're probably right: it may not be that important. It's probably only important when trying to push a heavy memory overclock at tight timings. Not everyone cares to do that.
Ok, so, to sum up, I can put my ram on all sockets, but you think that it should be better on A2 or B2, and SR or DR is not really important for me.
Thank you for all these advices!

Dec 25, 2020

Just one last thing, the ram that I choose is not on the qvl, but the website Pangoly (Compatible Memory with ASRock B450M PRO4-F - Pangoly with this ram CMK8GX4M1A2666C16 ) says that it's supported .... What do you think ?

Just one last thing, the ram that I choose is not on the qvl, but the website Pangoly (Compatible Memory with ASRock B450M PRO4-F - Pangoly with this ram CMK8GX4M1A2666C16 ) says that it's supported .... What do you think ?
Answer depends...

If you already have possession of the ram it can't hurt to put it in and give it a try.
If you don't have the ram yet...have you tried looking for something from Asrock's QVL?

And lastly: 2666 really isn't that hard to achieve. I think it will still work, it's just stacking the odds in your favor to select off Asrock's QVL.

Dec 25, 2020
If one stick of ram: Put it in A2.
If two sticks of ram: A2 and B2.

I have had issues with this when i installed two sticks, 2x8gb in A1 and A3 and it would put 8.1gb as "hardware reserved" and limited to 2133 mhz (they are patriot viper steel 3200mhz sticks).

If i tried to use XMP or manually set them any higher than 2133 mhz, it would reboot 3 times and reset any changes.

As soon as i used A2 and B2, XMP worked flawlessly...

To finish, i'm not sure but i think that if you use another slot than A2 for a single stick, you will have issues changing the frequency to the ram's specified one.