My computer:

Asus P5W DH Deluxe
E6600
MSI 7900 GT
2 GB RAM
2x300 GB SATA Samsung spinpoint
Seasonic 430W power supply
Antec P180

My computer was alive this morning, turned off before I went to the university. When I returned I hit the power on button, the fans started running but no screen. Wondering if it could be the motherboard.

I get no POST screen

My dvd player wouldn't open, which I found weird since it gets the power from the PSU, so changed the connection, and it opened.

The motherboard have had a temperature around 50C since I bought it

Have tried clearing the CMOS, disconnecting stuff, but no luck

The motherboard gets power, the green light is on. The CPU fan and chassis fans are running. The HDD only have a "knittering" sound for like 1 sec, and nothing more, the screen remains black (don't think the VGA card is broken, cause windows is installed and the HDD don't work anything beyond power up)

help, this is my 2nd Asus P5W DH Deluxe that just stops working!

jrl657

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
I am not seeing a good answer to your question as it is not obvious what the cuase is. I would try the following things:
1. Reset the cmos/bios

2. Make sure the video card is seated well in the connector (maybe remove it and reinsert it) make sure that the extra power for the video card is live and connected maybe use a differnt one like you did for your dvd drive. Maybe the harness or the power supply having problems.

Disconnect the drives from power and the data connector just to see if machine complains that there are no bootable drives.

intox_neb

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
didn't work

But if my motherboard had been functional, I would have gotten to the POST screen anyway wouldn't I? A defect CPU, RAM, HDD etc wouldn't affect this?

intox_neb

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
well, it has built in speaker, but the pins don't match excactly. But there are a lot of smaller pins which I might fit on the motherboard to get sound, gonna try out.

jrl657

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Sorry,
I read your post then got on a roll thinking about what things I would try to narrow it down to a single possible thing....

speaker would help as the other poster said. I hope you find the cause.

Jim

archduke66

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
If I were you I'd definitely try a newer powersupply just in case.. If the power supply doesnt help I am out of ideas go with what the other tech gurus have to say in the forum.. I am newb

intox_neb

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
well, it has built in speaker, but the motherboard has a 4 pin connector for system warning messages

the p180 comes with a 10 pin thingy (which fits fine on the motherboard, but doesn't give any sound) and have a lot of single pins, but tried them on the 4 pin connector, doesn't give a sound

ScottsCustomComput

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Hi, Is the fan on the video card running?
May I suggest flashing the BIOS with the newest update available from ASUS.
I believe they've added better support for the SLI Cards, memory modules, and the newer CPU's.

This fixed a Boot up problem with P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe MB, XFX GeForce 7950 GX2, Corsair 800mhz, Intel Core 2 Duo Extreme X6800 (Beta BIOS) :)

Tycho_Celchu

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006
Make sure your CD/DVD Rom drive is plugged into the SIDE PATA-IDE connector. Also might wanna doublecheck that power supply, I did the same to mine, replaced it with a 600-Watt PSU and its fine now.

aBg_rOnGak

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Try remove all power connector from all boards/fans/drives (SATA & PATA), then reconnect it.....

If that also didn't work, borrow your friends' psu (pref. a reliable one) an also gfx card(s)...

intox_neb

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
I'm expecting answers from a technician tomorrow, so will hold on and see. Of course, if the motherboard turns out to be fine I have a big problem solving task ahead of me ;)

Tycho_Celchu

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006
They are more than likely going to tell you the board is fine. I'm pretty sure you blew out the power supply. aBg_rOnGaK is correct here, borrow a friend's PSU, or purchase a new one and hang onto the packaging incase you wanna return it later.

intox_neb

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
If they tell me the board is fine I'll buy a new powersupply and test it.

BTW: 430W should be enought power to run my system, right?

hyper60

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006
Try using only 1 memory stick at a time. I had the same problem and it turned out one of the memory sticks was bad (sent it back to corsair). Also check to make sure your memory is listed as being compatible.

ScottsCustomComput

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
didn't work

But if my motherboard had been functional, I would have gotten to the POST screen anyway wouldn't I? A defect CPU, RAM, HDD etc wouldn't affect this?

A BIOS error, defective CPU, bad RAM, hard drive error, bad video card, bad monitor, cabling error, motherboard problem, can all prevent the POST from showing.

ASUS recommends removing the battery, while clearing the CMOS (5-10 seconds) on their newer boards.

Try pressing F1, DEL, and ESC repeatedly. This just worked for me a few minutes ago, after my girlfriend accidentally shorted out the MOBO by putting coins on an exposed upside down floppy drive. I had no video.
The POST and BIOS came up after a few tries.

Clearing and re-setting the CMOS fixed the problem.
Then Scandisk fixed the crash errors on the hard drive automatically after the OS load froze and I rebooted.

rice_nz

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
We are gettign exactly the same thing here
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/PC-won-boot-help-ftopict199514.html

This also does this with an old asus motherboard at work. this cant be coincidence right? i know of 3 different mobos which do this. nto to mentiont he numerous other people on teh itnernet with this problem and no answer to how we can fix it -_- my cpu tem oruns at 31-35 degress celcius

My computer:

Asus P5W DH Deluxe
E6600
MSI 7900 GT
2 GB RAM
2x300 GB SATA Samsung spinpoint
Seasonic 430W power supply
Antec P180

My computer was alive this morning, turned off before I went to the university. When I returned I hit the power on button, the fans started running but no screen. Wondering if it could be the motherboard.

I get no POST screen

My dvd player wouldn't open, which I found weird since it gets the power from the PSU, so changed the connection, and it opened.

The motherboard have had a temperature around 50C since I bought it

Have tried clearing the CMOS, disconnecting stuff, but no luck

The motherboard gets power, the green light is on. The CPU fan and chassis fans are running. The HDD only have a "knittering" sound for like 1 sec, and nothing more, the screen remains black (don't think the VGA card is broken, cause windows is installed and the HDD don't work anything beyond power up)

help, this is my 2nd Asus P5W DH Deluxe that just stops working!

Tycho_Celchu

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006
I would like to point out that while you may think its getting power. It might not be getting enough power. Just because that light is on means its getting a current, not enough power to post. Chassis fans also require less than a AAA battery to operate. I would suggest stickin in a higher watt power supply to see if it starts. A short in the PSU can and will cause the situation you describe. Now I'm not saying its guaranteed, but I am saying its highly possible. Besides, no loss buying a PSU and returning it later that day to Best Buy or whatever, just tell em it didn't fit when you got it home and your returning it. If it does work, go out to NewEgg and buy a better PSU for cheaper (Retail Stores gouge on PSU's)

ScottsCustomComput

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Do not forget to connect the 4-pin ATX +12 V power plug
This will cause a similar boot up problem also.
It plugs in on the motherboard pretty close to the place where you plug in the keyboard and mouse. See users manual, if needed.