ATI Radeon HD 5870: DirectX 11, Eyefinity, And Serious Speed

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I absolutely love this site, however, I'm getting quite annoyed that I have yet to see anything about the Matrox TripleHead2Go. This awesome little gadget turns any nVidia box into 3 monitor surround gaming asskickery. I’ve been using this hardware for a couple years now and am appauled that the last thing you’ve tested was the Parhelia.

How about a comparison between Matrox’s ThripleHead2Go and ATI’s Eyefinity to redeem your dignity as a site that reviews all the greatest gaming hardware. It would be interesting to see if it is possible to use the Eyefinity in Crossfire or if you are still stuck with a third party Matrox solution complimenting your already expensive GPU setup. Otherwise, Matrox still owns the surround gaming performance crown while adding an additional $300 tag to the rig.

bounty

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
So no DX11 demos from ATI then? Any DX11 demos out in the world to play with? I'm curios if tesselation and other DX11 features will help performance, hurt it or be kinda neutral. Kinda like first gen of DX10 cards, some could do DX9 fine, but were slow with DX10.

Otherwise nice card, fits nicely between 4870x2 and GTX295. I'm not sure if it's going to shake prices up too much, probably a little lower 295 prices etc. Waiting for the 5850 reviews now.

Superwack

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Page 5: "Like whistle tips, those two rear vents are just for decoration."

HAHA!! whatchu want, a woot woot! dats only in the mornin', you s'pposed to be up cookin' breakfast or somethin'!

Love it!

G

I've got the 4850, and I want to know what the best single slot/1 6pin card will be in the 5000 series. Will it be the 5770? and would an upgrade from 4850 to the 5770 be worth it?

mactruck

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Thanks for the excellent article, but I have one nit to pick:

"most HTPC enthusiasts won’t be putting a large dual-slot graphics card in their theater room."

That may be true for some, but with water cooling I have no problem running gamer-quality graphics in my HTPC case. I never get tired of showing console gamers how a game like Call of Duty should be played - with a mouse and keyboard on a 52" screen. However, I'll have to measure to make sure that 11" board won't bump up against my radiator tubing...

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
I see you saved Nvidia's blushes by using a non standard 1Gb version of the GTX285 which meant it can run games at 2560x1600 rather then the standard 896MB's models.

I plan to get one of these cards(HD5870) once the price drops a bit and there are some 3rd party coolers on the market to replace the stock HSF.

slave

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
A lot of the reviewers saved Nvidia's bacon by doing this. I saw one review that used an OC'd 295 only in its benches.

One review added 285 SLI ONLY in games where the 285 lost.

This love affair with Nvidia is starting to piss me off.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]JeanLuc[/nom]I see you saved Nvidia's blushes by using a non standard 1Gb version of the GTX285 which meant it can run games at 2560x1600 rather then the standard 896MB's models.I plan to get one of these cards(HD5870) once the price drops a bit and there are some 3rd party coolers on the market to replace the stock HSF.[/citation]

The Nvidia card(s) were clocked DOWN to reference levels to ensure a fair comparison. Also, the 4890 was clocked down to reference speeds as well (ATI sent out a lot of cards running at 900 MHz rather than 850 MHz). Don't worry Jean, I'm keeping it kosher!

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
[citation][nom]thearm[/nom]Just in time for Nvidia's new card. Great timing ATI. lol[/citation]

Last roumor i heard is that they are hoping for november/december, hardly what I would consider just in time.

Great article, would love to see if this card starts punishing x8 pcie crossfire configurations. Looking forward to upgrading my system with my tax return Q1'10, looking at the 5890 most likely.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
P.S. What I would like to start seeing in these reviews is a Percentage comparison at the end normalized to the card being reviewed, a short recap of how it performs per game, and overall.

thomasxstewart

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
hARS Mad Mike Magee post:

thomasxstewartWashington,DcSeptember 23rd, 20097:54 pmPirate Speak Translator
Pirate Speak:

Aye, 35: Mike Magee
Founder, The Register and The Inquirer
Magee co-founded The Register in 1994 and in doin’ so brought a sarcastic, tabloid-style o’ journalism t’ the It sector. Arguably an influence on the snark-hea’y tone o’ tech blogs, Magee has since gone on t’ launch The Inquirer, which he sold in 2006 t’ Vnu, publisher o’ Computin’ and It Week, but remained as editor. After lea’in’ Vnu in 2008, he set up a third It news site Tg Daily.

Can It Be true, Mike Is Mike? Ob’ious Thomas Stewart Medal Candidate. Then thars Appointment With Mom, titles & that Clumsy Sir thangie….

Signed:pHYSICIAN Thomas Stewart von Drashek M.d Aye. Kin o’ Kins. Puts Ye Circle Around Ye Name.

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
[citation][nom]noob2222[/nom]Last roumor i heard is that they are hoping for november/december, hardly what I would consider just in time.Great article, would love to see if this card starts punishing x8 pcie crossfire configurations. Looking forward to upgrading my system with my tax return Q1'10, looking at the 5890 most likely.[/citation]
theres gonna be a 5890?? just when you thought heaven was enough...

Status
Not open for further replies.