Question Bent and one broken VSS Pin on 5800x - Blackscreen

Mar 13, 2022
Hey!
So yesterday I was kind of in a hurry when seating my new AIO and when I was installing the CPU Cooler and Heatsink, the CPU somehow stuck to the Heatsink and I tried to put it in a couple of times before realising. So here I am, with some bent pins and one broken VSS pin. I managed to straighten all of the pins back and put it back into my B450 Tomahawk Max (with a tiny bitof pressure to be honest - but nothing broke or bent while doing that) - but I only get blackscreen ?

I had a Ryzen 5 3600 lying around so I tested it out with that and everything was running just fine.

So I came to the conclusion that it could not be because of bent or broken motherboard connectors in the socket but rather the 5800x is not working
So my question ist - can the cpu die while I straighten the pins? Because theres only one VSS pin missing or could it actually be that the mobo connectors are broken and the ryzen 5 3600 pins are just smaller and therefore fit into the mobo even though the connectors are bent or something?
I have someone who can and will solder the missing pin back onto the board - could it be that it will work then?

Thanks for your replies.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

So I came to the conclusion that it could not be because of bent or broken motherboard connectors in the socket but rather the 5800x is not working
If just the CPU pins were damaged, then quite possible.

If you have broken motherboard connections then it's still likely contributing to the issue you are seeing, and I would still be replacing the motherboard. Ultimately, you may be able to boot and it may appear normal, but you won't know if everything is operating as it should, if the socket isn't causing damage elsewhere, or if you won't have plenty of issues down the line. Damaged sockets/pins may cause a functional but unstable system.

However if the pins damaged are just on the CPU, then I would likely imagine that in the process of removing or trying to fix the pins, you have likely also damaged the CPU. Straightening pins does not guarantee they aren't other faults.

could it actually be that the mobo connectors are broken and the ryzen 5 3600 pins are just smaller and therefore fit into the mobo even though the connectors are bent or something
No.

I have someone who can and will solder the missing pin back onto the board - could it be that it will work then?
Maybe it will, maybe it won't. Depends on any other underlying damage and if the other person actually knows what they are doing unfortunately!

So my question ist - can the cpu die while I straighten the pins?
If done properly - not likely. Still, pins that were bent might not be straight enough to make proper contact with socket, or the missing pin is more important then you think, hence it's not working.
That is possible. If that person can do it for you cheap enough then it is certainly worth the try - after all what you have now is useless pile of silicon, it can't get any worse.
could it actually be that the mobo connectors are broken
Unlikely if the other CPU is working. Obviously all AM4 CPUs have pins of same size :)

Mar 13, 2022
First of all I want to thank you two for replying!

So there is the possibility that even though the diagram shows that the missing pin is a VSS, it is a too important VSS one which is giving me a blackscreen?
I am also trying to wrap my head around how I damaged the CPU while bending the pins to their normal lineup. I literally just went in with the sharp end of a knife, bent everything back into place and then went in row for row and wiggled a little with the knife until everything lined up again.

One thing I noticed though is that when I tried to put the CPU in, in went in in the top left and bottom left but.top right was not 100% in and top right was like not even in the socket. So after about 2 hours of straight bending I just applied a little bit of pressure on the top of the CPU and it slid in and was fully seated ( I dont know if thats an important information maybe?)

And fyi: The guy I'm sending the CPU to already did over 700 CPUs for other people, most of them fixxed. And he only wants me to pay the shipping and buy him exactly 3 scoops of icecream :LOL:

Man I really hope it'll work out in the end, I don't think anyone has faced as much backlash as I did in the last couple of weeks while upgrading my machine. Literally so much went wrong...

Thanks again for your answers and have a great day!

Reactions: DRagor