Question Best PC for 2D art and Casual gaming?

Jun 9, 2019
Hi all,

first of all I have basically no experience with computers other than iMacs, and while those are powerful mine is crazy outdated and getting a new one is way too expensive, so i'm looking for a cheaper Desktop PC that can fit my needs. I'm looking for something that can run heavy art programs like Photoshop and adobe illustrator, but I would also like to use it for casual gaming (minecraft, sims, etc.). I would also prefer to have Windows 10. I would love to know what kind of components I'd be looking for, and how much it would cost. Thank you!
Edit: I would also like to use this PC for video editing and 2D animation as well.

How much are you willing to spend on components for a system and do you have anything you won't need to get, such as a monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc., that can be excluded from the necessary list of components?

Are you comfortable with assembling a PC yourself? In reality, it's not terribly difficult, so whether you believe you can or not I think the answer here should be yes unless you know you are terribly, horribly, inept when it comes to having extra thumbs. LOL.

Thanks to AMD's launch of inexpensive CPUs with a powerful graphics processor built in, It doesn't cost much at all to get into a cheap PC that can run the above.
Looking at around $350 at a minimum.

Do you have a monitor, keyboard, and mouse? Does case size matter?

Are you looking to build the PC yourself or do you want a prebuilt?

Something like this would be a good setup.
PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor | $135.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard | ASRock - B450M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard | $89.99 @ Amazon
Memory | Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory | $69.99 @ Amazon
Storage | Team - MS30 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive | $51.99 @ Newegg
Storage | Hitachi - Ultrastar 7K3000 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive | $46.35 @ Amazon
Case | Cooler Master - MasterBox Q300 MicroATX Mini Tower Case | $44.99 @ B&H
Power Supply | Corsair - CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply | $42.98 @ Newegg
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $497.18
| Mail-in rebates | -$15.00
| Total | $482.18
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-09 14:29 EDT-0400 |

So you want them to run Illustrator and Photoshop (Although, granted, we don't know at what level of use they plan to use those) on integrated graphics?

I mean, if they were running an iMAC for the graphics capabilities, I'd think it might at least be a consideration that they are using this for graphics at a much higher level than they are for gaming.