shohan0073

Honorable
Mar 28, 2015
Hi there , I am going to buy a new GPU for my build but i'm a bit of confused about the bottleneck issue. Currently i have a MSI GTX 960 GAMING 4GB which is i am using for 4 years & 2 months+. The budget is not much of an issue but i need the best performing GPU possible for my Ryzen 1700 . I have RX 5700 XT in mind but i would really appreciate the suggestion of you guys. Thank you.

Here is my current build:
CPU : Ryzen 1700 3.2 GHz
GPU : MSI GTX 960 GAMING 4GB
Motherboard : MSI X370 GAMING PRO CARBON
RAM : 32GB G-Skill Trident Z (3200 MHz) DDR4
STORAGE : 1x Samsung 960 EVO 250 GB NVMe SSD
1x Toshiba 1TB
PSU : Thermaltek 550W
Monitor : 1080p Dell
1080p LG

Reactions: handhika
Solution
Hi there, i really appreciate both of you are trying to help me but you need to know that i have a great budget for the GPU but not the CPU right now. But in future like in 1 year or couple of months i m gonna get at least a 3900X so an overkill for some time is that too bad for my system? What do you think? and certainly i am not concerned about the PSU i can change it at any moment so its not a big deal. Just let me know the best gpu my system can handle.
Thank you so much.
BOTH OF MY MONITORS ARE 60HZ
I WILL USE 3 Monitors for work purpose 1/2 for gaming
Technically, as long as you have the PSU to power it, you could put any GPU in your system. If you do plan to upgrade the CPU, or the rest of the system, later...

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
There's no such thing as a best possible GPU for a given CPU.

You list two monitors. Both 1920x1080.
  • What are their refresh rates?
  • Do either/both have FreeSync, GSync, or neither?
  • What specific games are you playing?
  • Are you playing on a single screen, or setting them up side-by-side and playing dual screen (basically like gaming at 3840x1080 resolution)?
I would go with the best GPU you can afford.
Not knowing enough about the monitors or usage, I'd say this is a bad idea. If both are 60Hz monitors, for example, high-end GPUs would be overkill.

PSU : Thermaltek 550W

Do you mean Thermaltake? What exact model number is the PSU?

Reactions: shohan0073

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
There's no such thing as a best possible GPU for a given CPU.

You list two monitors. Both 1920x1080.
  • What are their refresh rates?
  • Do either/both have FreeSync, GSync, or neither?
  • What specific games are you playing?
  • Are you playing on a single screen, or setting them up side-by-side and playing dual screen (basically like gaming at 3840x1080 resolution)?
Not knowing enough about the monitors or usage, I'd say this is a bad idea. If both are 60Hz monitors, for example, high-end GPUs would be overkill.

Do you mean Thermaltake? What exact model number is the PSU?

You really going to pick straws on a question about upgrading from a 960, to something better (OP listed a 5700XT) on a capable system build?
Even IF he has a 60hz monitor, it's going to be ROCK SOLID with the better GPU AND he would be ready to take that next step in resolution/frames, or both...which he darned sure isn't doing on a 960. It was a simple question, and a simple answer.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
No, it's not picking straws.

"Get the best GPU you can afford" is what you said - you have no idea what that entails. The 5700XT is way overkill as is. And who knows, maybe OP can easily afford an RTX 2080. Maybe an RTX Titan. Should that be the purchase? Hell no.

Unless there's a plan to go to a higher screen resolution/refresh/frames, there's no point in buying such a high end GPU, especially given the coming of Ampere and Big Navi. If there is such a plan, then the resolution and refresh rate of the intended monitor should be known first.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
No, it's not picking straws.

"Get the best GPU you can afford" is what you said - you have no idea what that entails. The 5700XT is way overkill as is. And who knows, maybe OP can easily afford an RTX 2080. Maybe an RTX Titan. Should that be the purchase? Hell no.

Unless there's a plan to go to a higher screen resolution/refresh/frames, there's no point in buying such a high end GPU, especially given the coming of Ampere and Big Navi. If there is such a plan, then the resolution and refresh rate of the intended monitor should be known first.

IDK, maybe you didn't read the post.

The OP asked specifically this:

Currently i have a MSI GTX 960 GAMING 4GB which is i am using for 4 years & 2 months+. The budget is not much of an issue but i need the best performing GPU possible for my Ryzen 1700 . I have RX 5700 XT in mind

I am sorry that I got you butthurt by suggesting an answer that was in line with what was asked. Inferred was that the rest wasn't asked for and you know how unsolicited advice goes.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
@ King V I see. So just to be sure, you are taking a stand ( and downvoting posts that you don't agree with) that the OP should pick a GPU matched to his current system, rather than buying something that will perform well with what he has now as well as future possible upgrades. That he should consider spending money that he will spend over again later when his upgrade path IS that new monitor you suggested, or a CPU upgrade that would even show more the positives of the GPU he recently bought?

I just want to be clear what you are suggesting with OP's money on a question he didn't ask. I am not going to make further assumptions on what he does or does not know about his system and upgrade paths available.

shohan0073

Honorable
Mar 28, 2015
@ King V I see. So just to be sure, you are taking a stand ( and downvoting posts that you don't agree with) that the OP should pick a GPU matched to his current system, rather than buying something that will perform well with what he has now as well as future possible upgrades. That he should consider spending money that he will spend over again later when his upgrade path IS that new monitor you suggested, or a CPU upgrade that would even show more the positives of the GPU he recently bought?

I just want to be clear what you are suggesting with OP's money on a question he didn't ask. I am not going to make further assumptions on what he does or does not know about his system and upgrade paths available.
I saw. Your last comment appears to prove my point rather than refute it.

Hi there, i really appreciate both of you are trying to help me but you need to know that i have a great budget for the GPU but not the CPU right now. But in future like in 1 year or couple of months i m gonna get at least a 3900X so an overkill for some time is that too bad for my system? What do you think? and certainly i am not concerned about the PSU i can change it at any moment so its not a big deal. Just let me know the best gpu my system can handle.
Thank you so much.

Thank you so much.
Technically, as long as you have the PSU to power it, you could put any GPU in your system. If you do plan to upgrade the CPU, or the rest of the system, later anyway, then buying a top end GPU is probably a good idea. An RTX 2070S, 2080S, or 2080ti will all perform extremely well. I would also consider upgraded monitors, either high refresh rate, higher resolution, or both. These high end GPUs can push enough for monitors such as 1440p or 144 Hz well.

There is no reason, except for saving money, that anyone buys a cheaper GPU. There is not going to be a compatibility issue, other than power draw. If you have a PSU capable, you have a PC capable. This is usually not recommended, since a more balanced build is recommended, but the 3900X you intend to get will end up working best with a high end GPU, so I recommend that. If you stick with a more mid-range GPU, then you might be tempted to upgrade later again.

Solution

shohan0073

Honorable
Mar 28, 2015
Getting an overkill GPU will not harm your system. The only thing that will happen is that your CPU usage will rise, or hit closer to max, and the GPU will not be used to its full extent. However, I dont think this will be a big issue, since the 1700 is still a decent CPU for sure.
Thank you for replying, According to my system suggest me a GPU between ,
MSI RX 5700 XT MECH OC 8GB
MSI RX 5700 MECH OC 8GB
Gigabyte Geforce RTX 2060 SUPER WINDFORCE OC 8GB
Colorful iGame GeForce RTX 2060 Super Ultra-V 8GB

I would personally go with the RTX 2060 Super from Gigabyte. However, the RX 5700 XT is also a good option. They are very similar in price and performance. I would consider the RTX card, since Nvidia has more developed drivers, and the RTX cards can use Ray Tracing features. The RX card is going to be a slightly better value though. It all comes down to your personal choice, so if you want, you can go to YouTube, and look up RX 5700 XT vs RTX 2060 Super, there will be a number of comparison videos you can watch, to see if you prefer one over the other.

shohan0073

Honorable
Mar 28, 2015
I would personally go with the RTX 2060 Super from Gigabyte. However, the RX 5700 XT is also a good option. They are very similar in price and performance. I would consider the RTX card, since Nvidia has more developed drivers, and the RTX cards can use Ray Tracing features. The RX card is going to be a slightly better value though. It all comes down to your personal choice, so if you want, you can go to YouTube, and look up RX 5700 XT vs RTX 2060 Super, there will be a number of comparison videos you can watch, to see if you prefer one over the other.
One last question to ask, i have a psu which has,
6+2pin PCI-E Connector x 2
Is it enough?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I would not go that far. 1080p @ 60Hz, your monitor CANNOT display more than 60 frames/second. The 1660 Super is the highest I would recommend. Or the 5600XT (more powerful), since it is usually about the same price.

EDIT: Possibly even the 1660 non-Super is powerful enough, but the 1660 Super is generally about the same price as the non-Super.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

No, that is not at all what I was suggesting. Reread my posts.

WildCard999

Titan
Is it possible to run the new gpu with my old psu or its too risky?
and besides that if i get a new one anyway, will that be enough for my system?
https://www.thermaltake.com/toughpower-grand-rgb-650w-gold-full-modular.html
That one is better but I'd get something like this.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ Corsair)
Total: $124.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-19 13:01 EDT-0400

750W is a bit more then you'll probably ever need but it's the same price as the 650W version so there's no reason to buy a smaller unit for the same price.

That is one thing I forgot to consider, the quality of your PSU. A top of the line 550W will be able to provide more power than a low end 550W. EVGA and Corsair make some great high end models, such as the one listed above.

@King_V You are not wrong about an overkill GPU not showing more FPS directly, however a powerful GPU will do two things. 1, it will last for longer before it can no longer provide that 60 FPS. 2, getting 60 FPS average means that the FPS drops below 60, so those drops might be noticeable to the user, depending on the game and the level of drop. If you get a GPU that can average say, 90 FPS, then any drops or stutters will usually still be over 60 FPS, so the game play will appear smoother, with less fluctuations.

As I also mentioned already, the possibility of future upgrades mentioned by the OP means that a more powerful GPU might become useful in the near future, even if not used to its full potential at this moment.