Best SSDs 2019: From Budget to Blazing Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Here are the best PCIe and SATA SSDs on the market, ranging from 256GB to 2TB. These drives offer the best performance per dollar.
Best SSDs : Read more
SSDsInternalCover.jpg

SEAN WEBSTER
@seanwebster

Sean Webster is a Contributing Writer for Tom's Hardware US. He tests and reviews consumer storage.

Last edited by a moderator:
The drive is 2.5", which means SATA. That system's boot drive is a NvME PCIe x4 drive, the 960 EVO. The data drive was running out of space due to backups, so I needed something bigger and didn't want mechanical.

We understand that the staff is currently working on some issues with the pricing widget; this is by far not the only article in which errors of this sort appear.
It hasn't mattered how much build experience I have; unless time is more important than money (only sometimes the case), I usually come to the forums before I build a new system because someone will almost always know about a much better deal than I found.

saunupe1911

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2016

Uniblab

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Question:

Since enterprise SSD's are available at increased capacity albeit lesser performance, what criteria would be necessary to allow a consumer ssd review to include performance numbers from enterprise ssd's? I wonder since many are available from sites like amazon. If a consumer was willing to absorb the increased buyin of a 7.6tb enterprise ssd, what considerations are needed to make it work in a consumer environment? I ask because I didnt fully realize that these extra large capacities existed. Sounds intriging.

Oct 21, 2018
"1TB 2.5" WD Blue SSD for ~$139" NO Life expectancy monitoring for this ssd. Get WD Lifeguard Diagnostics for basic info.

ibaldo

Reputable
Feb 18, 2015
Would love an article about power loss protection in these drives...
And by the way: whats the cheapest 1Tb Enterprise SSD?
Because the only drives that guarantee writes are 100% reliable when the OS requests it, are the enterprise ones unfortunately...
Its better to still use HDDs for critical things which is disappointing.

djice

Honorable
May 21, 2013
The Con on the 2.5" "Similar performance as the 850 EVO" is kind of a mute point since SATA 3 bandwidth is maxed by most SSD drives in the last 3-4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.