the first gen Ryzen 7 CPUs go neck and neck with some tasks. Threadripper CPU's are worse in gaming compared to Ryzen 7 cpu's but have much more computational power due to so many more cores so they would be better for non gaming tasks generally.

If youre just gaming and the 2600x is the best your budget can do, go with that.

In a few months Ryzen 3000 should be released, they have been promising some pretty big performance boosts

Feb 18, 2019
the first gen Ryzen 7 CPUs go neck and neck with some tasks. Threadripper CPU's are worse in gaming compared to Ryzen 7 cpu's but have much more computational power due to so many more cores so they would be better for non gaming tasks generally.

If youre just gaming and the 2600x is the best your budget can do, go with that.

In a few months Ryzen 3000 should be released, they have been promising some pretty big performance boosts
So would the 2600 be better than the 2700 in gaming.
And would it be better at video editing?

No, it would not. 2700>2600.

Ryzen 3 is the bottom of the pack. Ryzen 5 is in the middle and Ryzen 7 is at the top. I'm not sure how you could draw a conclusion that a Ryzen 5 2600 with fewer of the exact same cores and threads could outperform a Ryzen 7 2700, but it can't. These are both second Gen Ryzen CPUs. The prior comment about going neck and neck, which is actually not entirely accurate, was in regard to a first Gen Ryzen 7 versus the best of the second Gen Ryzen 5's.

If you want something better than an R5 2600, get an R5 2600x. If you want something better than a 2600x, get a Ryzen 7. If you want something better than a Ryzen 7, get an i7 or i9 Coffee lake/refresh with many cores and hyper threading. Honestly, the Ryzen 2600x is likely perfectly fine if that is what you can afford.