[SOLVED] Black screen with gpu at 100% fan speed

Jolaoso

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2015
Not sure if this is a gpu or psu problem at the moment but this issue has been happening for a while and is not recently happening frequently multiple times a day. I have a 1070 strix with a ryzen 1600 (14nm) and a 650 corsair 650 watt psu. Any ideas?

Solution
many times when a GPU crashes the fans and lighting effects will freeze at the point they were when the crash occurred.

what may be causing these crashes can be quite a bit difficult to determine.
drivers, the card malfunctioning, the motherboard PCIe slot malfunctioning, etc...

first try removing all graphics related data with DDU running in Safe Mode.
then install the latest driver package directly from Nvidia.

if the crashes continue;
test the system with a different graphics card.
if crashes continue with a different card you know it is another component causing the issue.
a 650 corsair 650 watt psu
what Corsair PSU? they make many different models.
many times when a GPU crashes the fans and lighting effects will freeze at the point they were when the crash occurred.

drivers, the card malfunctioning, the motherboard PCIe slot malfunctioning, etc...

if the crashes continue;
if crashes continue with a different card you know it is another component causing the issue.
a 650 corsair 650 watt psu

Solution

Jolaoso

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2015

if the crashes continue;

Already DDU'd etc. To add on when the monitors go black I can still hear audio and my gpu and fan lighting still keeps going. I feel like the graphics driver is crashing but not the audio and it fails to recover. What do you think?
Corsair CX650m

Jolaoso

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2015
Already DDU'd etc. To add on when the monitors go black I can still hear audio and my gpu and fan lighting still keeps going. I feel like the graphics driver is crashing but not the audio and it fails to recover. What do you think?
But what is causing it is kinda beyond me 😪. Also cant test with another GPU because I dont have a spare

feel like the graphics driver is crashing
if you're using the latest driver package available it wouldn't continue to cause the same issues after being totally removed and reinstalled.
it's more than likely the GPU itself failing.

you can also try reinstalling the OS with a drive wipe and fresh install package.
many times a corrupt OS can also lead to issues like these.

cant test with another GPU because I dont have a spare
find a friend, family member, coworker that will let you test with theirs.

Jolaoso

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2015

if the crashes continue;

if you're using the latest driver package available it wouldn't continue to cause the same issues after being totally removed and reinstalled.
it's more than likely the GPU itself failing.

you can also try reinstalling the OS with a drive wipe and fresh install package.
many times a corrupt OS can also lead to issues like these.

find a friend, family member, coworker that will let you test with theirs.
Well to be fair I'm still on driver 461. I could try another os on a different drive and see what happens. But while we were talking I was cleaning my gpu and some cables and do you know the 2x8 pin that comes with psu's? I used the other 8pin attached and I haven't crashed yet but I still gotta see for a while.

Jan 9, 2023
I forgot 100% what I did, I since then upgraded almost my whole pc. What I can say is use a different power supply cable for your graphics card.

Here what i tried :

New PSU and cables
I tried an Other Card (3090 and an 970 and still got the crash with the 970!!!)
A single stick of ram
i format my pc
Only one screen

Edit :

I tried new Driver,
Bios update

Im starting to wonder if the Motherboard is Toasted...

Jolaoso

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2015
Here what i tried :

New PSU and cables
I tried an Other Card (3090 and an 970 and still got the crash with the 970!!!)
A single stick of ram
i format my pc
Only one screen

Edit :

I tried new Driver,
Bios update

Im starting to wonder if the Motherboard is Toasted...
Yha I would assume motherboard if you replaced everything else. Did you try another pcie slot?