khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hmm... found it on your link.
<b><A HREF="http://biz.yahoo.com/rf/010612/klr178884.html" target="_new">AMD sees 30% world market share by end 2001</b></A>

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What point are you trying to make? That AMD's marketshare is expected to hit 30%, from 5% a couple of years ago? That Intel's marketshare is expected to drop to 70%?

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

scarywoody

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well if you actually read the article the link was too..you would see the point..it's basically saying that this whole process race is digging deep into AMD pockets. Delaying the release of there 0.13 ASSRAMMER..and forcing AMD to look for help from other companies.... SO all that your simpleminded retort implies is that while AMD has been able to gain part of the market share in their very diligently fought battle to keep up with Intel. It is all futile in the end. Intel has the means and the chedda to drop their prices like the cheap whore of a chip that AMD puts out, and still be able to recover and come out on top. While AMD is licking its wounds and about to bend over shamelessly to chipzilla once again.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
I think you are mistaken considering who would more than likely back AMD. Look to the car industry and see if you can see what i am talking about. Besides do you just want it to go back to just Intel, so instead of jamming their throbbing co*k up AMD's ass they can jam it back up yours????
Kids today...
Peace
Peace

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Blessedman on 06/12/01 11:39 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

scarywoody

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Now you are a moron. Of couse I don't want Intel to be the only microprocessor manufacturer. I like to pay as little as I can for things which happens to include processors. All I'm trying to do is get all these AMD psychophants, who think they are "special" because they support an underdog company to shut the hell up. Everyone knows Intel will always dominate. Just accept it. AMD makes good chips but they will have to bow down again. Intel is just much more powerful and they make better products. We may all not agree about their buisness tactics, but facts are facts. AMD simply cannot keep up this price war with Intel. Intel can absorb the damage done by bad buisness decisions, some bad product design (the original 1.13 gig chip), and price cuts. Right now Intel is spending more than ever on R&D and AMD (while they do have impressive chips for the current generation of processors) cannot take development to the next level like Intel can. So piss off.

bhc

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
You are missing the point so is the author of that article. AMD is gaining market share while making money. In fact, lower gross margin does not affect AMD as much since it has a lower P/E ratio and a much lower market cap compared to Intel. Chipzilla or not, big investors have no patience toward low gross margin, and as long as AMD stays competitive and makes money, Intel's outlook is not so bright (think 1.7 P4 for mere $350).

On the other hand, in chip making business, you do need to spend (big) money to make money. Being a much smaller company, AMD does need help. The fact that it could readily find technology powerhouses to partner (e.g. Motorola for the copper metalization and IBM for SOI) shows how highly the industry view AMD's effort. In fact, it will be foolhardy for AMD to fight Intel alone. It is a good thing that it finds other (big) companies to share the cost. That is actually good news to everyone since a competitive AMD will keep the PC prices down.

As for SOI, it stands for silicon on insulator, which is referring to the type of substrate (silicon wafer). Without going into all the details, using SOI wafers allows easier transistor tuning and lower power consumption. The downside is the substrate is more expensive than the bulk wafer (which essentially a slice of single crystalline silicon) and it is unproven in mass production. However, this technology, first demonstrated in universities and research labs, has been around for more than 20 years. Lately, IBM is the biggest proponent of it and has make biggest strides. So, AMD is getting the best technology. Obviously, the prudent thing will be to do the 0.13 on bulk wafer first (which is pretty much a sure thing) then go to SOI. If AMD decides to leap right into 0.13 SOI, it is definitely risky. However, since Intel is not doing SOI at all (at least that's its public stance), AMD may gain decisive advantages over Intel should it be successful in bringing SOI into mass production.

**Spin all you want, but we the paying consumers will have the final word**

scarywoody

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Maybe I stated this in a previous post.....but uh "Weird" Al Yankovic never wrote a song for AMD. You know why? Because he knows a winner win he sees one. He only parodies things that are successful. Did you every notice that? Because in order for something to be noticed it has to be successful right? So Al will only make fun of something that everyone knows, or else nobody would get the joke right? Of course, so Intel obviously has to be successful because it is recognized so by enough people that "Weird" Al feels he make money by making fun of them. He's not stupid he knows "Its all about the Athlons" would go over like a fart in church. So he says piss on AMD, so say I.

bhc

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
No question Intel is a great company. However, when it stumbles it should take its lumps like everyone else. AMD actually had been fumbling around for a long time, but when it got its act together the last two years, it should be acknowledged. That is all. Nothing personal.

**Spin all you want, but we the paying consumers will have the final word**

G

You cock smoking my wise and beautiful friend.....go back under the rock from whence you crawled. Since when has an article on the Inquirer, the equivalent of a grocery store tabloid, meant a f*cking thing? That article says nothing, really, and yet you tout AMD's impending demise as something factual. If AMD were going to die they would have done so long ago, when they were losing money hand over fist. If Intel was capable of killing off AMD it's window of opportunity closed long ago. AMD has executed flawlessly for over two years now and they will continue to do so. As far as R&D goes, why don't you compare the amount of patents awarded to the two companies over the last couple years before you shoot off your obnoxious, ignorant mouth. Bloated Intel, with all it's R&D spending is being out innovated and out patented by a company a quarter of it's size.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
scarywood you have taken this personal. This isn't personal but you are about a step away from making it. Intel will not always dominate the market, things change, get used to it. Intel can not absorb much more punishment through piss poor managment, ask 3dfx. AMD doesn't want Intel to go under either as Intel and AMD share secrets (mostly Intel sharing with AMD [mostly due to Intel understanding the antitrust laws]). I used to love Intel until they started taking the consumer for granted, if it werent for AMD everyone here would be getting their brand new 300MHZ PII tomorrow. Calling people names gets one thing accomplished, it makes you look the fool.
Peace

327goat

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2001
I'm not going to get into another Intel/AMD war, because honestly, I'm really not caring anymore one way or the other. I just think it's rather comical how someone can justify the position of a company based on something as inconsequential as the opinion of someone as notable as Weird Al. I guess I've missed the boat all along. If Weird Al sings about it, that means it's good? So Weird Al is now the exalted ruler, and judge of all things good, and any product he has yet to sing about is doomed to failure, and utter demise? If you want to argue a point, perhaps use the opinions of someone a little more credible in the field of personal computing than Weird Al. Also keep in mind that the song in question is a good three years old, before many of AMD's accomplishments.

<font color=red> To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism, to steal ideas from many is research.</font color=red>

G

One thing you ought to realise scary is that AMD wouldn't even be in their current position if Intel weren't so incompitent. Ever wonder why senior executives get paid so much? Its because they are expected to do miraculous things. The executives at AMD have put themselves on the map, in a market dominated by a giant. Yes they have had there share of problems but they still convinced people to buy their product. AMD shouldn't even be here, unless Intel wants them to be (which is a story in its self). Whenever such a giant allows such a smallfry to keep breathing it means their senior people are sitting on there hands. The CEO, senior management, R&D and production all need to come under the microscope, then a big broom needs to be dragged through the place, collecting all those that are sleeping and those that are just there to pay off the mortgage. I believe Intel do make a more comprehensive and better supported product, however intellect and aggresion is what is required in this market and Intel are in need of both. Things change rapidly in this game woody, and if AMD can hang onto the right kind of people and colaborate with other prominent developers as well as stay hungry we could just see a new chipzilla next year. Look at IBM, 3dfx etc. Intel can do it, they have the finances, the archives, the prominence and the support. The question is will they? Wakey, wakey, hand off snakey Intel.

"no kelder....you can't shoot goblins in wordpad"

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<font color=blue>"and forcing AMD to look for help from other companies.... SO all that your simpleminded retort implies is that while AMD has been able to gain part of the market share in their very diligently fought battle to keep up with Intel."</font color=blue>

After reading this thread, I don't know why I am responding to you. You respond in a personal manner over issues that are not personal, and can only respond with rude remarks. You have the maturity level of a ten year old. If you are younger then ten, please don't take this as a compliment.

Now, the way companies conduct business has changed over the last 10 years. It has been gradual. A new term has slowly evolved, and it is called "Partnership". This is a keyword that companies look for in relationships with other companies. The cost of R & D has become tremendous. Many companies can no longer afford to spend the dollars to develop a product and still remain competitive. So they look for companies to "partner" with. The ideal company has the product they need, or can provide the service they need to remain competitive. Both companies in the partnership gain from the relationship. A partnership between companies goes further then buying a service or providing a part. They both work towards a common goal, and both benefit from a new perspective (from the partners) on how to solve the business issue on which the partnership is based.

There is no shame or embarressment (as you seem to suggest) when a company needs to partner with another. For example, if AMD does not have the resources to produce a chipset, then they partner with a company that does. AMD provides the insight to their product, and the other company provides the chipsets. Both benefit from the efforts. The latest example of this is the partnership between AMD and nVidia.

In todays business, if a company can do it all themselves, they run the strong risk of developing "tunnel vision", seeing only what lays straight ahead, but not seeing what is on the sides. In other words, missing the big picture. This has happened to Intel. They may have the money for R&D by themselves, they may be able to afford to sell chips for dirt (as you suggest), but they are missing the big picture. Why develop the 1.13mhz P3 now? It steps all over the P4. The P3 is old technology, and even at 1.4Ghz is at a disadvantage to the Athlon. Now they have to develop and produce yet another chipset for this cpu. No one has unlimited funds for R&D.

The biggest companies in the world look to partner with others. IBM for example, was on a downward spiral 10 years ago. It recovered by learning to partner with other companies, and that is the basis of their business policy today. Go to their web site. Go to any big company web site and see how many times the word PARTNER appears.

If Intel is forcing AMD to find help from other companies, then good for AMD. They are conducting good business. That is evident by the tremendous gain in AMD marketshare.

Try to add a little maturity to your response to this post. But you won't. You will rant and rave like Fugger, over a company that you have no interest in at all, except that maybe your parents bought you a computer that has an Intel chip.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

G

Thanks, you pretty much told him what the rest of us were thinking! :wink: I hope this guy doesn't turn out to be another fugger.

<Common Sense is a gift that some of us have returned.>

HighCv2

Distinguished
May 31, 2001
Excellent post, couldn't have said it better myself jlbigguy, especially the last paragraph. LOL

"He who laughs last doesn't get the joke"

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, frankly put, that article is wrong. Over the past few quarters, AMDs earnings and profits have been going nowhere but up compared to a couple years ago. They aren't struggling at all.

I mean, if the author of that has even bothered looking and financial statements from both AMD and Intel, they would see that Intel is the one being hurt by this. AMD can afford the lower prices because theit chips cost less to make than Intel's. Intel is the one who can't afford the price war.

In terms of financials, AMD continues to beat earnings estimates while Intel is the one with declining margins and profits. AMD is not at all hurting. They've still got some $1.8 billion worth of cash.

Maybe you should also have tried some research for yourself before making that post... Idiot.

"Trying is the first step towards failure."

G

>but uh "Weird" Al Yankovic never wrote a song for AMD.

LMAO!!!
Here's the first new tack in the Intel/AMD debate in months!!! If Wierd Al writes a song about it, it must be good.

Tom should start including this in his benchmarks. He could call it the WAY-Mark. It would be a measure of pop culture's knowledge of a product, as evidenced by references to it in the news, song lyrics, movie product placement, etc.

Of course, all this market research will take time, so he'll probably have to cut out some other stuff. Maybe that boring 3DMark or the Quake junk. Who reads that crap anyway?

Forget those benchmarks and reviews. Let's all just go with the tide. Whoever has the best PR department gets my business from now on!

*sigh*
what a loser

<i>Cognite Tute</i>
(Think for Yourself)

G

scarywoody=bowser ?

<font color=blue>The #1 reason to upgrade your PC - to run faster benchmarks...</font color=blue>

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Funny how you Lemmings all try to team up on anything anti AMD. yet the point your trying to make is for a loser company to start with. Intel is #1 get over it already. AMD will need to take 50% marketshare to impress me not ~20%.

We dominate our market, how about you?

AMD is now searching for technology from other companies because it does not have the R&D capital to invest nor the time to ramp new products. AMD is sucking wind ATM with Intels new barrage of products.

I laugh daily as AMD spoon feeds you the MP.

Here is your wake up call, You life is based upon what other people can clock a AMD CPU and post a score. not considering if its stable or what measures have been taken to obtain a score. "vapochill is good example, removed all hardware to obtain a winning benchmark" all you lemmings were thinking you grew an extra inch on your dick but in reality you still have the 800Mhz duron flaming people here how much better AMD is.

AMD still does not have a chipset on the market, the 760MP is a joke(I gotta go check to see if specs were posted yet(first time I ever seen a company release a product before spec was written/redone/finished)) LMAO @ Lemmings.

July we will be in the 2Ghz arena, while AMD lemmings are scrathing at 1.2GhzMP.

I845, I860, and .13 micron are reality and will start hitting shelves in July.

Your beloved Hammer.... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. err, I mean software simulator AKA Macromedia presentation of how well "in theory" the Hammer will work.

Enjoy!

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
We dominate our market, how about you?
And...?

You life is based upon what other people can clock a AMD CPU and post a score.
Funny now I realized that is exact description of yours! Just on the opposite side. (Ever look back your posts?)

AMD still does not have a chipset on the market, the 760MP is a joke(I gotta go check to see if specs were posted yet(first time I ever seen a company release a product before spec was written/redone/finished)) LMAO @ Lemmings.
What a joke!!! You haven't checked its specs and yet decided to slamm it already!

July we will be in the 2Ghz arena, while AMD lemmings are scrathing at 1.2GhzMP.
Blah, blah, blah,... meaningless!

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<font color=blue>"Intels new barrage of products"</font color=blue>

First, you have to learn to be objective. You are a fanatic. Fanatics by definition are not objective.

As far as AMD vs Intel, I could care less. I have 3 Intel machines and 1 Athlon in my home. I own stock in both companies, and certainly have interest in what each company is doing so that I can personally profit (capitalism at its best).

Looking at Intels "barrage" of new products, shows me that Intels different development groups do not talk to each other. A new P3 that stomps on the P4. Makes perfect sense, doesn't it? A new chipset for the P4 that will slow down the more expensive and already slower P4 by 15%. That will help the new P3 sales. Another good move. Sure, you can use SDRAM, but at the expense of speed. But wait, the speed is "regained" with a 2ghz version! Intel is tripping over its own feet. Look at what they are doing, and be objective. As an investor, be afraid, be very afraid.....

Thank God for my investments in AMD. They are offsetting my losses in Intel.

<font color=blue>"We dominate our market, how about you?"</font color=blue>

We????? You are a part of Intel? Is Intel obsorbing you? You should start to worry about yourself, identifying yourself as a part of Intel. Personality merge with a corporation. Psychiatric time, my friend!

Now I wait for your rants and insults. Why break the pattern that you so strongly adhere to?

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"You haven't checked its specs and yet decided to slamm it already"

Um, I am not writing the spec, Im not posting it or it would have been done before the chipset was released. but then again your a dumbass and do not know the diff.

Did you not yourself go to TYAN webpage and look for specs? came back empty handed huh? yeah they made the board put it on the market yet had zippo on it as fas as specs. after you gave up at tyan did you go check out AMD's lack of 760MP white papers? Im sure alot of people were curious what processors, memory, features, PCI slots, etc...

"Funny now I realized that is exact description of yours! Just on the opposite side. (Ever look back your posts?)"

WRONG, maybe you should look back on my posts. instability and incompatability come to mind. GG

Your a pathetic AMD lemming like the rest, your lame attempt to discredit and flame me was surely amature work at best. maybe you should not get so sore when people talk bad about AMD, that way you do not say really stupid [-peep-] in the fit of anger your experiancing.

Maybe next time, critique my spelling or something like other asswipes do.