Oct 28, 2019
I want to build a PC with AMD Ryzen 9 3900x CPU and I would like to know if the Asus ROG STRIX X570-E Gaming motherboard together with the Asus Hyper M.2 x16 PCIe x4 v2 extension card allows me to configure 4 Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe SSD into a bootable RAID 10 array (Windows 10 Pro) and have 2 internal SSD SATA drives configured into non-bootable RAID 1 array (used for documents only, no OS files, no apps).

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
You would be better off with a separate NAS... It is safer (e.g. a PC crash can still wipe out the SSD data). The NAS can be a RAID 5 for speed and redundancy and shut down when not needed. Also, should your PC get infected with Malware or worse, Ransomware, the disconnected NAS will still preserve your data.

I backup my data to the NAS weekly. As a precaution, my internet access is always disconnected during NAS operations. Granted, a NAS can be expensive but the capacity is higher. Bit of advice, when calculating the storage capacity on a NAS, always double what you need. You will be surprised at how fast your storage space disappears. My NAS was configured with four 4TB drives with a net space of about 10.5 TB. I used up all that space in a couple of years. My NAS is now configured with 16 TB space.

Another advice, buy a NAS with six or more bays. You don't need to use all six in the beginning. But it is easier to add hard drives in empty bays than replacing all four drives in a four bay NAS.