Sep 6, 2019
Would using a Core i7-7700 (not K), and an Asus ROG RTX 2070 be bottlenecking? I'm trying to get an RTX 2070, but am not sure if my current CPU is too weak.

Certainly the 7700, which has a base clock a full 600 MHz lower and turbo 300 MHz lower than that of even the 7700K, is obviously not going to remotely deliver all the FPS that a 2070 is capable of, particularly in the minimum fps, which is often determined by the processor...

Alas, our aging 4c/8t CPUs can still game, but,..well, their better days have come and gone...(hence, the mad rush to at least 6c/12t or 8c/8t these days, the latter being far superior to 4c/8t)

If you are satisfied with current minimum fps using your existing GPU, then certainly you'd still get at least that with the new GPU , however, just at massively higher res/levels of detail/quality.... (you might be perfectly satisfied, as long as we realize a 7700 will not match the 3600, 9700K or above...but then , it does not really need to, as long as you are happy with average and minimum FPS in YOUR games)

Sep 6, 2019
Certainly the 7700, which has a base clock a full 600 MHz lower and turbo 300 MHz lower than that of even the 7700K, is obviously not going to remotely deliver all the FPS that a 2070 is capable of, particularly in the minimum fps, which is often determined by the processor...

Alas, our aging 4c/8t CPUs can still game, but,..well, their better days have come and gone...(hence, the mad rush to at least 6c/12t or 8c/8t these days, the latter being far superior to 4c/8t)

If you are satisfied with current minimum fps using your existing GPU, then certainly you'd still get at least that with the new GPU , however, just at massively higher res/levels of detail/quality.... (you might be perfectly satisfied, as long as we realize a 7700 will not match the 3600, 9700K or above...but then , it does not really need to, as long as you are happy with average and minimum FPS in YOUR games)
So how much less performance we talking here? 10-20 fps drops compared to a lets say "i7 - 8700k"?

The i7-7700 is only 2 years old with 4 cores and 8 threads. The only thing I can think of that would give the OP a moderately noticeable increase in some numbers would be an 1800x, and with the cost of that motherboard and CPU combined with the fact that the numbers may not even be noticeable (the higher the resolution, the less noticeable the difference would be) I would not recommend such an upgrade.