Oct 6, 2022
Good morning,

So my PSU EVGA 750 watt Bronze had been failing for a little while. I probably continued to use it for a month as it started to make a grinding noise under high load, but eventually would calm down. Once it started to make the noise consistently I replaced it with an EVGA Gold 750 watt model.

When I first plugged in the new PSU the system turned on and then cycled on and off a couple times all within seconds. It finally booted and then I was able to game/play like normal for 24+ hours. Last night I was playing a game and my system got a BSOD/System error. My right monitor has the error message and my left monitor was all black with graphical glitches.

When I tried to reboot the system, it started to cycle on and off again. This time none of my USB devices would work or displays. It was on and running, but stuck. I tore the PC apart swapped back the old PSU to see if the new one was jacked. I swapped cables, unseated and reseated ram. I did it all. Finally I saw my DRAM LED on the mobo was orange. So I started to pull out the ram one stick at a time. Finally I located one stick that was refusing to boot.

So now I'm in the process of an RMA on that stick. My question is...do you think my new PSU provided the proper amount of voltage to the system and it shocked the RAM that had been running on sub optimal voltages due to a failing PSU? I'm not sure if my MOBO is now jacked or if other parts could potentially be the issue. Is my new PSU faulty? Even with the old PSU that was failing it never did this even until I finally swapped it out.

Side note, I ran Prime95 and Furmark at the same time to try and stress the system, for about 20 minutes and had no issues. I'm a little concerned my other RAM stick may fail in the future as well though.

CPU: i7 7700k
Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z390-A Motherboard LGA1151
Ram: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, 2x16gb DDR 3200
SSD/HDD: Samsung 970 msata 500gb
GPU: EVGA 3080 FTW3
NEW PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, 220-G2-0750-XR
OLD PSU: EVGA 750 BQ 80+ BRONZE 750, 110-BQ-0750-V1
Chassis: Corsair icue 465x

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

EVGA have been known to have duds within their own top tier end of their PSU's(in their own portfolio). Though you might need to elaborate on the model for both the old and the new PSU, since EVGA is the brand of the unit, while 750W is the advertised wattage of said unit and Bronze/Gold is the advertised 80+ efficiency rating of the unit.

For better context, please pass on the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Oct 6, 2022
I updated the information above, but it's also here.

CPU: i7 7700k
Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z390-A Motherboard LGA1151
Ram: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, 2x16gb DDR 3200
SSD/HDD: Samsung 970 msata 500gb
GPU: EVGA 3080 FTW3
NEW PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, 220-G2-0750-XR
OLD PSU: EVGA 750 BQ 80+ BRONZE 750, 110-BQ-0750-V1
Chassis: Corsair icue 465x

The "new" PSU I installed is also something I've had sitting in storage for 5 years since I bought it in 2017, it's been sealed and never opened before. I will say when I swapped my old PSU back in to double check that my new PSU wasn't bad I was having the cycling on and off issue again before it stabilized. I can only assume this is because of the ram since it was happening with both PSU. I'm starting to think it's either the MOBO or the RAM itself.

This cycling on and off during the initial 3-5 second start-up also happened with 1 stick of ram in the system as well. I turned it off and on again 10 times after that initial cycling on and off period and never had that issue again.

I am currently running a prime95 mem test on the system right now while at work so I will check it in 8 hours and see what happened.

Last edited: