Question Bug or Bad System? (Judgment on steam only getting around 30 FPS)

ReHack

Prominent
Jan 30, 2022
The game uses DX12 as the API, weirdly enough I get the same FPS on any setting (extra low-high at 1080p)

I get around 23 fps - 32 fps (23 on crowdy areas, 30s on less crowdy areas) , yes the framecap is on 60 , I only get 60s on the main menu and the pause menus, I get around 40s on cutscenes (currently at medium settings)

I'm still kind of a newbie when it comes to deeper PC stuff but I'm pretty sure my PC is more capable than this

Although it could also just be bottlenecked, just wanted opinions either way

Specs:

A8-7650k (base, no OC)

RX 570 8GB

2x 8GB ddr3 1600mhz (dual channel)

240gb SATA SSD (Boot drive)

500gb SATA HDD (storage)

450w DeepCool PSU

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I'm pretty sure my PC is more capable than this

10 years ago? Perhaps. Right now? No.

New CPU-MoBo-RAM combo would be bare minimum, while your GPU isn't that good either.

Once you get far better CPU, then you might expect ~60 FPS out of your GPU, but not before.

Btw, your CPU (APU actually) has terrible performance. E.g here's your APU vs my 6th gen Core i5 (both released in 2015),
comparison: https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-A8-7650K-APU-2014-DKa-vs-Intel-Core-i5-6600K/m27184vs3503

While at current date, and comparing latest Core i5 (13th gen) with your chip, you'd see this,
comparison: https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-A8-7650K-APU-2014-DKa-vs-Intel-Core-i5-13600K/m27184vs4134

So... yeah, your CPU is way too weak.

ReHack

Prominent
Jan 30, 2022
10 years ago? Perhaps. Right now? No.

New CPU-MoBo-RAM combo would be bare minimum, while your GPU isn't that good either.

Once you get far better CPU, then you might expect ~60 FPS out of your GPU, but not before.

Btw, your CPU (APU actually) has terrible performance. E.g here's your APU vs my 6th gen Core i5 (both released in 2015),
comparison: https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-A8-7650K-APU-2014-DKa-vs-Intel-Core-i5-6600K/m27184vs3503

While at current date, and comparing latest Core i5 (13th gen) with your chip, you'd see this,
comparison: https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-A8-7650K-APU-2014-DKa-vs-Intel-Core-i5-13600K/m27184vs4134

So... yeah, your CPU is way too weak.

Hmm I see I see, soo do you think this is normal performance for my current setup then? Since I do get higher fps on other games, although they're dx11 and vulkan games

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I'll check it out, although what can you recommend for a budget friendly decent cpu-mobo combo?

With equipment of this age you are going to have to look on eBay or CL, Marketplace, etc. unless you opt to go with a refurbished office type system from Dell or HP, etc. One of the least expensive ways to make said happen would be to consider something like a Dell Optiplex in the MT format. You will likely have to do some conversion (wiring adapters) to bring over a standard ATX PSU of the power required to run your 570.
The popularity of this format for cheap "gaming" has driven the price up on the MT format, particularly as compared to similarly spec'ed DT or SFF type systems. IF you are willing to do some digging and (as mentioned above) some conversion, the DT form is typically a Micro ATX motherboard which would readily fit in other cases. Your issue will be that you need adapters for the front panel connectors, or some skill in redneck engineering, and in some cases the power connectors for the mobo are off standard. There are pre-made adapters for most if not all of these issues.

Otherwise, I would just look around for older custom builds. Any 2nd gen and up i7, 4th gen or better i5 is going to be far more powerful than the A8 you have. I also would not suggest upgrading within that old AMD CPU set and even the top of the line model isn't very far in performance from what you have.

jasonf2

Distinguished
AMD chips of that era in general weren't very great at gaming, and the A8-7650k even in its prime wasn't getting any medals. By that time Intel was into the Haswell or maybe even Broadwell generation and had been dominating IPC for so long that while your chip was upper tier for AMD its niche was lower priced entry/mid tier builds. It is a 4 core with comparatively poor IPC. At the time of it's release 4 cores were pretty common on high end machines and 6-8 cores were available. However, when AMD released the first generation Ryzen (2017) with Intel comparable IPC and higher core counts, the game design industry moved the baseline to at least 6+ cores for decent performance going forward. The framerates you are getting seem to be pretty much in line with what one would expect for that generation and spec of machine. I really hate to say this but just about anything you would buy as a prebuilt today with discrete graphics and full SSD is going to be a major step up.

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
what can you recommend for a budget friendly decent cpu-mobo combo?

Here's one, latest tech:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-13100 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z790M-PLUS D4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($166.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $361.97

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-01-22 12:33 EST-0500

Few words.

While CPU is Core i3, it is miles better than what you currently have,
comparison: https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compa...4-DKa-vs-Intel-Core-i3-13100/m27184vsm2011672

Also, CPU has iGPU in it (just like your APU does), as for redundancy, if your GPU (RX 570) happens to die. You can then plug your monitor to your MoBo and continue using the PC. Also, CPU cooler is included with CPU, so no need to waste money on that either.

MoBo is micro-ATX, but Z790 chipset with 4 RAM slots.
Z790 chipset is solid foundation for eventual CPU upgrade, that you can do (once you have more money). You can put any 13th gen Intel CPU in there, including the K-series CPU and also OC the K-series CPU, if you want (note: none of the K-series CPUs come with CPU cooler, so you need to buy aftermarket cooler as well, IF you'd upgrade your CPU in the future).
Also, MoBo supports DDR4 RAM, which is far cheaper than current DDR5 RAM. Moreover, with 4 RAM slots, you can easily upgrade your RAM in the future, if you so desire, up to 128 GB.

And put in 2x 8GB RAM, running at 3200 Mhz. The 3200 Mhz speed is sweet spot for DDR4 RAM. And while that MoBo can support up to 5333 Mhz RAM, anything faster than 3200 Mhz isn't cost effective.

All-in-all, above combo is solid budget combo and it won't get any better than this, especially since it's well below 500 bucks limit (usual budget for budget friendly builds).

The rest of the components you have, you can reuse (PC case, fans, SSD/HDD), but i'd also replace the PSU, since your DeepCool unit isn't that good. For budget, but still good quality PSU, here are some good options;
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/6NcG3C,CRC48d,qNKKHx,KnYmP6/

The more beefier PSU you go for, the better GPU you can buy down the line.

Reactions: punkncat

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I'd stay clear away from all Dell prebuilts. Way too much of a hassle to convert those into standard ATX while using common PC cases/PSUs. And while you can use adapters, those too cost money and getting the correct one is an issue in itself + all the labor that goes with them. Better to go with new hardware, with solid foundation, where you can easily upgrade it in the future.

The popularity of this format for cheap "gaming"

Haven't heard folks using old Dell prebuilts for cheap gaming rigs though. But many do utilize old Xeon CPUs, that go for cheap and offer solid performance, despite being years, if not a decade old CPU.

ReHack

Prominent
Jan 30, 2022
AMD chips of that era in general weren't very great at gaming, and the A8-7650k even in its prime wasn't getting any medals. By that time Intel was into the Haswell or maybe even Broadwell generation and had been dominating IPC for so long that while your chip was upper tier for AMD its niche was lower priced entry/mid tier builds. It is a 4 core with comparatively poor IPC. At the time of it's release 4 cores were pretty common on high end machines and 6-8 cores were available. However, when AMD released the first generation Ryzen (2017) with Intel comparable IPC and higher core counts, the game design industry moved the baseline to at least 6+ cores for decent performance going forward. The framerates you are getting seem to be pretty much in line with what one would expect for that generation and spec of machine. I really hate to say this but just about anything you would buy as a prebuilt today with discrete graphics and full SSD is going to be a major step up.
Here's one, latest tech:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-13100 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z790M-PLUS D4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($166.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $361.97

Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-01-22 12:33 EST-0500

Few words.

While CPU is Core i3, it is miles better than what you currently have,
comparison: https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compa...4-DKa-vs-Intel-Core-i3-13100/m27184vsm2011672

Also, CPU has iGPU in it (just like your APU does), as for redundancy, if your GPU (RX 570) happens to die. You can then plug your monitor to your MoBo and continue using the PC. Also, CPU cooler is included with CPU, so no need to waste money on that either.

MoBo is micro-ATX, but Z790 chipset with 4 RAM slots.
Z790 chipset is solid foundation for eventual CPU upgrade, that you can do (once you have more money). You can put any 13th gen Intel CPU in there, including the K-series CPU and also OC the K-series CPU, if you want (note: none of the K-series CPUs come with CPU cooler, so you need to buy aftermarket cooler as well, IF you'd upgrade your CPU in the future).
Also, MoBo supports DDR4 RAM, which is far cheaper than current DDR5 RAM. Moreover, with 4 RAM slots, you can easily upgrade your RAM in the future, if you so desire, up to 128 GB.

And put in 2x 8GB RAM, running at 3200 Mhz. The 3200 Mhz speed is sweet spot for DDR4 RAM. And while that MoBo can support up to 5333 Mhz RAM, anything faster than 3200 Mhz isn't cost effective.

All-in-all, above combo is solid budget combo and it won't get any better than this, especially since it's well below 500 bucks limit (usual budget for budget friendly builds).

The rest of the components you have, you can reuse (PC case, fans, SSD/HDD), but i'd also replace the PSU, since your DeepCool unit isn't that good. For budget, but still good quality PSU, here are some good options;
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/6NcG3C,CRC48d,qNKKHx,KnYmP6/

The more beefier PSU you go for, the better GPU you can buy down the line.

hmm, unfortunately getting that much money is pretty difficult for me atm, the only source of income I have is my allowance, been thinking about looking for mobo+cpu sets on marketplace or something, would a ryzen-mobo combo be a pretty good deal?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
would a ryzen-mobo combo be a pretty good deal?

Depends on a Ryzen chip, but if you go with non-G version, then do note that those don't have iGPU in the system, whereby dedicated GPU is needed. Most Ryzen CPUs are like so.

Only these Ryzen CPUs have iGPU in them,
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/cpu/#m=6&k=33,41&g=537,430,489,418,419&sort=name&page=1

So, when picking a CPU and IF you want redundancy, go with the one that has iGPU in it.

E.g this brand new Ryzen build, 100 bucks cheaper than Intel;

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 4600G 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($104.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M DS3H AC Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($48.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $262.98

Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-01-23 02:09 EST-0500

But with cheaper price comes a downside. AM4 socket is dead, in terms of upgrade. Best you could put into there is Ryzen 5000-series. The new Ryzen 7000-series uses AM5 socket. And R5 4600G isn't as powerful as i3-13100 is (Ryzen chip is also 2.5 years older).

R5 4600G vs I3-13100 comparison: https://nanoreview.net/en/cpu-compare/intel-core-i3-13100-vs-amd-ryzen-3-4600g