Feb 25, 2019
I lately bought an Oculus rift, but my pc isnt good enough. Now i ran across the new Nvidea Geforce RTX 2060, and it really appealed to me. Now i wonder, will my pc be good enough for this card, or do i need to upgrade further?
This are my specs (that i'm currently aware of):

Nvidea Geforce GTX 960
Intel Core I5-6400 CPU @ 2,70 GHz
8,00 G ram
Asus H170 pro gaming motherboard
250 gb SSD + 1,75 TB HHD storage

is there any way i can check if the upgrade for video card doesnt give the need to change other parts too. If the RTX 2060 is too high end, i could always also go for the GTX 1660 Ti or simply a GTX 1060 or GTX 1070.
If i need to change any parts, i was thinking about an amd ryzen, but i think i need to change my motherboard too and then the whole mess will get too expensive.

Edit: To be clear, my question isnt wich parts are compatible with the oculus. the oculus is just background story. My question is, Will my CPU and my motherboard be good enough for an upgrade to the RTX 2060, or do i need to replace my cpu or maybe power too?

Thanks a lot
Huzarensalade

Last edited:

The prime mediocre

Distinguished
There is a way you can check your hardware, and the Oculus compatibility tool is unfortunately not it. That tool does not run any tests on your system; it just checks the part model names against its recommended specs.

The SteamVR performance test (free on steam) actually runs a scene and tells you which components are good enough, borderline, and too slow. I'm guessing your CPU will pass, but your GPU will end up in the middle. An RX 580/GTX 1060 would get you well over the line, but a 1660 Ti is a good deal faster.

Feb 25, 2019
https://support.oculus.com/248749509016567/
An RTX2060 would be a good upgrade, although at $350 it seems a bit overpriced. Your GTX960 is not capable, but your CPU is within requirements.
There is a way you can check your hardware, and the Oculus compatibility tool is unfortunately not it. That tool does not run any tests on your system; it just checks the part model names against its recommended specs.

The SteamVR performance test (free on steam) actually runs a scene and tells you which components are good enough, borderline, and too slow. I'm guessing your CPU will pass, but your GPU will end up in the middle. An RX 580/GTX 1060 would get you well over the line, but a 1660 Ti is a good deal faster.

thx for your replies, but my question isnt wich parts are compatible with the oculus. the oculus is just background story. My question is, Will my CPU and my motherboard be good enough for an upgrade to the RTX 2060, or do i need to replace my cpu or maybe power too?

Jan 15, 2019
The rtx2060 will bottleneck an i5 6400. Here is a websight with expected fps of various titles at different resolution.
Any power supply above 450watt should be fine as long as you dont overclock.

Last edited: