Phazoner

Distinguished
System RAM is not directly related to Video RAM. Your CPU, MoBo, socket, chipset, etc are made to have DDR4 RAM modules plugged, the system RAM, and the graphics card has its own Video RAM built-in which would be appropriate for the bandwith and space needed for its rendering capabilities and be accesible only for the GPU, so there isn't any incompatiblity here.

Medium and high end graphics cards use GDDR5/X/6 or HBM/2 memories which again are totally different to the usual DDR3/4 for the system, attending to higher speed and latencies needed.

Reactions: Mahmud8421
Mar 10, 2019
I will do video editing, programming and other heavy works. But will never play game. I noticed that Adobe Premier Pro needs minimum 2GB GPU to install. And it recommends a 4GB GPU. This is the only reason I am buying a GPU.

Also, other specifications may include that I've 16GB DDR4 RAM.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2019
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6ZP4TD1166

The 1660 may be out soon, and will be better. But a 1060 is a good card and for the slight price increase much better than a 1050 or 1050ti.
Will that be better than Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC? It's cheaper and also has 4GB GDDR5 RAM. Also the 1660 is too expensive for me. Cause I wanted to buy around $200, in fact 15,000 tk in our currency. The Gigabyte one is also more than I thought. But it's cheaper than 1660 one. Btw, will it be a good decision to choose the 1050 Ti with Gigabyte?

The 1050ti only has 768 'cores' where the 1060 has either 1280 or 1152, so it's a lot faster.

However the release date for the 1160 may be this friday, at which point the 1160 will be the better buy, and the prices of the 1050ti/1060/1060ti will all drop.

But aiming for any 1060 over a 1050ti would be beneficial.

I'm assuming you have a reasonable power supply?

Mar 10, 2019
Should be, you might want to dig around in premiere pro websites and see what is supported by cuda, and then understand if you will use that functionality?
I've set my mind to buy a GeForce 1060 one. I think it would be better to buy it after 1/2 month. Cause the price will reduce a lot I think. Also, my exam is in the next month. So, I think it would be best for me to wait till the exam finishes. Thanks a lot for suggesting me 1060. 👍

Mar 10, 2019
1050 ti is more than enough for cuda accelleration in Adobe Premiere especially if budget is a concern.
Will a powerful GPU boost my PC speed? What I know is, it helps to sharpen the brightness and get a more clear image on monitor. Let me know if I'm correct. If so, then there is no need to take a powerful GPU but only to make Adobe Premier Pro installable. Cause I think my CPU and Motherboard are strong enough to handle the processing. Also my boot drive is SSD. It will help the process too.

Will a powerful GPU boost my PC speed? What I know is, it helps to sharpen the brightness and get a more clear image on monitor. Let me know if I'm correct. If so, then there is no need to take a powerful GPU but only to make Adobe Premier Pro installable. Cause I think my CPU and Motherboard are strong enough to handle the processing. Also my boot drive is SSD. It will help the process too.
20 years ago this is what a GPU did.
Now they are a massively parallel processor, so when I apply an effect in lightroom to a raw image, I am carrying out some maths on every single pixel, and perhaps including information about neighbouring pixels. On a 6 core processor it can do '6' pixels at once, if each takes a few clock cycles to complete then on a 24Mp image that can take a little bit of time. With cuda cores you have 100's of cores, 768 (1050ti), 1280 (1060 6GB), and they are built to do just this kind of calculation, so it will take a lot less time (even though they are clocked slower).
So for image manipulation the parallelism is a massive performance boost, it doesn't make your CPU faster, it does things that your CPU is not so good, and does them very quickly, some things your CPU will still do.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Whats your full system specs?

Faster CPU, more ram and faster storage will make it faster in normal use, gpu only comes into play if the application can use it, which Premiere can. Having a better gpu can make it perform better as it can offload the rendering and encoding which the CPU would normally have to do.

Mar 10, 2019
gpu only comes into play if the application can use it
I see, then I think I will be a happy with a minimum GPU required by Premiere Pro. Cause I will hardly edit videos on this software. Also my aim isn't to play games too. I may watch full HD (1080p) songs, do programming, watch YouTube and browsing internet whole time. Editing video is exceptional and rare for me. I think these stuffs can easily be done with my CPU.
You know, I thought that if I don't use a powerful GPU, my CPU and Motherboard may be fired. LOL 😅