Question Can I plug the AiO pump cable to a fan hub ?

Mar 21, 2024
Hi , my motherboard the Asus prime H610 has only 3 fan headers I have 3 fans in front and 2 exhaust fans in back plus my deepcool LE300 aio Which has another 2 pwm cables one for the pump and one for the fan , the problem is I need to control the front fans , the back fans and the pump separately, now I've found a workaround it i intend to attach the aio fans to the chassie1 header and the back fans to the chassie2 header and then connect a fan hub to the cpu_fan header then connect the pump and the 3 front panel fans to it . Now my question is is it safe to connect my pump to the fan hub ? And considering that my LE300 aio pump works at 100% and can't be controlled if i attach the other 3 fans to the hub with it and set a speed through the mother board bios will it effect the pump in anyway or will it still be working at 100 while the fans work at the speed that I've chosen?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
In a case like this, I would prefer to use the pump header for the pump and then the cooler (and associated) "CPU fans" on a header, then the other aux/case fans on that hub. You can opt to purchase PCI slot style fan controllers. You can go super old school and have a knob or two out back if you want to take it really retro (guffaw).

Mar 21, 2024
In a case like this, I would prefer to use the pump header for the pump and then the cooler (and associated) "CPU fans" on a header, then the other aux/case fans on that hub. You can opt to purchase PCI slot style fan controllers. You can go super old school and have a knob or two out back if you want to take it really retro (guffaw).
The problem is I don't have a pump header only cpu and 2 ch fan headers I want to be able to control the exhaust and intake separately to regulate the airflow inside while having the pump at 100% deep cool just emailed me and said the only way for le300 to be running under 100% is by lowering the voltage so if I plug it to the hub through the cpu_fan header with the rest of the fans and I set the cpu fan speed lower than 100% for the fans the pump shouldn't be running slower right ? This won't be lowering the voltage ? my hub is the rog fan and argb fan hub with separate SATA connector from power supply.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
See my post of Mar 9/24 in this thread for a full explanation.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/where-do-i-connect-aio-fans.3838683/#post-23219173

Bottom line is this: you should have BOTH the AIO system PUMP and its two RAD FANS connected to the CPU_FAN header using a SPLITTER like this

https://www.amazon.com/yomgam-Fan-Splitter-Cable-Extension/dp/B0C4JBXRZN/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=2B9JS4LML0077&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.aJ69DONsmCSkUghIL3I3r-ho3YLMQes2a873MBkAlAJlToi64XvE-7Wcfpi6ecCwGaD8YnLtpUuqW63KfCWr65nCdV9bAEQQeUhkbszHVbOid5b4Lo9RjcPuuermHiPnrmoJEJaCnq9t5mCq527eMGahaLwwFDHixhywGyPaoRxRNN_nWL3EkFqjIQZe4JUg2lU3c8jf7fqhlV0EHNOxsRs3JYKW8RST_9joTsKRIqQ.a8SpUXT5jv1mt22wjJBH6p6tCsSpQgtNxkz-XqVqRC4&dib_tag=se&keywords=fan+splitter+4+pin&qid=1711127271&sprefix=fan+splitter,aps,106&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

The cable to the PUMP MUST plug into the only Splitter output with ALL FOUR pins, and the two Rad Fans plug into the other two outputs. In BIOS Setup in the QFAN Control screen for the CPU_FAN header, ensure you set it to PWM Mode, not to DC Mode or Auto Detect. With this arrangement the PUMP will receive a constant 12 VDC power supply so it always runs full speed as designed, and its speed signal returned to the header WILL be monitored for pump FAILURE. Meanwhile the two Rad Fans' speeds WILL be controlled automatically according to the temperature sensor inside the CPU chip. You will never "see" the speeds of those fans because the mobo never gets their signals. So from time to time YOU should look and verify that both of these fans still are working. It is important that the Rad Fan speeds be guided by the temp sensor inside the CPU chip, and that is how the CPU_FAN header operates. The two CHA_FAN headers on the mobo do NOT use this sensor for their work.

This leaves both CHA_FAN headers free for case ventilation fans. You can use them to create two groups of fans (intake and exhaust) that you can configure separately in QFAN Control screens.

You do NOT need a fan HUB to do this. Note that the SPLITTER I linked to above has one input arm to go to the CPU_FAN header and three outputs arms for the pump and fans, and NO other connections. A HUB is a different device that has these connections PLUS a power input that must be connected to a SATA power output from the PSU. You do not need one of those unless you are connecting MANY fans to a signle header.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I will admit that I didn't read up the manual for the AIO in question or dig into the post above aside from the key word mentioned about a splitter. There "may be" concerns about what a splitter would do concerning the draw of the pump motor (amperage) and would be sure to check that is acceptable to the load before doing so. If this was dealt with and I missed it, my apologies as it has been an incredibly long and trying day, just thought it needed to be considered.

Thanks

ReveurGAM

Prominent
Sep 28, 2022
Hi , my motherboard the Asus prime H610 has only 3 fan headers I have 3 fans in front and 2 exhaust fans in back plus my deepcool LE300 aio Which has another 2 pwm cables one for the pump and one for the fan , the problem is I need to control the front fans , the back fans and the pump separately, now I've found a workaround it i intend to attach the aio fans to the chassie1 header and the back fans to the chassie2 header and then connect a fan hub to the cpu_fan header then connect the pump and the 3 front panel fans to it . Now my question is is it safe to connect my pump to the fan hub ? And considering that my LE300 aio pump works at 100% and can't be controlled if i attach the other 3 fans to the hub with it and set a speed through the mother board bios will it effect the pump in anyway or will it still be working at 100 while the fans work at the speed that I've chosen?
The one thing that you need to include in this discussion is the amperage of your fans and your headers...

Unless pump is made so it always runs at full speed, no matter where it's connected to or AIO cooler comes with own controller, never connect it parallel with radiator or case fans. It can be connected to any header and set to run at full speed or according to CPU temps.

Asus prime H610 has only 3 fan headers
I have 3 fans in front and 2 exhaust fans in back plus my deepcool LE300 aio
I need to control the front fans , the back fans and the pump separately,
Connect AIO pump to CPU_FAN header.
Connect 3 front fans with a splitter to CHA_FAN1 header.
Connect 2 exhaust fans plus AIO radiator fan with a splitter to CHA_FAN2 header.

Reactions: ilukey77

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yes, current consumption is important. Almost all mobo fan headers can supply power at 12 VDC up to 1.0 A total current draw for all devices on that one header. OP's AIO system has one pump and one fan. These have max current ratings of 0.30 and 0.34 A respectively, total 0.64 A max. NO problem to fit within the limit of the CPU_FAN header.

One possible reason for NOT connecting both pump and rad fans in a AIO system to the CPU_FAN header is that these two devices require different power and control systems. In most AIO systems (including the one OP has) the PUMP requires power at 12 VDC at all times so that it always runs full speed, and the Rad Fan(s) require feed in the new PWM Mode system. The latter supplies a constant 12 VDC on Pin #2, and the new PWM signal on Pin #4. The PWM fan has a small chip inside to use the PWM signal to modify flow of current from that supply on Pin #2 through the motor windings to achieve speed changes. However, this all CAN be done easily if you understand the units.

The PUMP is wired just like an older 3-pin Voltage Control Fan. The ONLY way to reduce its speed is to reduce the Voltage supplied on Pin #2. When such a fan or pump is connected to a header operating in PWM Mode, it receives from Pin #2 a constant 12 VDC. It does NOT receive the PWM signal from Pin #4, and it does not have the special chip so it could not use that signal, anyway. Thus this pump or fan always runs full speed.

The RAD FAN of this system is the new 4-pin PWM design, so if it is connected to those SAME signals its gets adequate power AND its speed IS controlled by the PWM signal.

So we use this "trick" that depends on these design differences. Connect BOTH the PUMP and the RAD FAN to the same CPU_FAN header using a Splitter. As I said, the max total current fits within the header's limit. The PUMP will always run full speed as intended because the PWM system supplies 12 VDC constantly from Pin #2 and the fan cannot use the PWM signal to change its speed. The Rad Fan(s) DO have their speed controlled by the PWM signal set from that header.

When you do things this way there are THREE additiional items the require attention.
(a) The PUMP MUST be connected to the ONLY output connector on the Splitter that returns its speed to the host header. A VERY important second function of that header is to monitor the speed signal of its device for FAILURE, and the CPU_FAN header will take more-drastic corrective actions than any other mobo fan header, and do so quickly. It can shut down the entire system rapidly without waiting for the temp sensor inside the CPU to indicate rapid high tempertures. This can be done ONLY if the speed signal sent to the CPU_FAN header is the PUMP speed. In an AIO system, this is the one thing that must not fail! For a Splitter that looks like a collection of cable "arms", there will be only ONE male output connector with all FOUR pins inside, and this one WILL send its device's speed signal back to the host header. All other outputs lack Pin #3 that carries the speed signal. For other Splitter or Hub designs, the one output that sends back its speed signal is marked.
(b) The header MUST be set to PWM Mode - NOT to Voltage Control Mode (aka DC Mode), and NOT to Automatic Mode. Only PWM Mode will send out the consant 12 VDC supply and PWM signals. If you leave the CPU_FAN header in its default Automatic Mode option, at every start-up it will test the connected device's speed response to a PWM singal and discover that the PUMP does NOT reduce its speed that way, so it will change itself to Voltage Control Mode and force the PUMP to run slower!
(c) Because this method does NOT connect the RAD FAN speed signal back to the CPU_FAN header that fan's speed will never be displayed anywhere, nor can it be monitored for failure. So from time to time the USER needs to look and verify that the fan(s) are still working.

It is POSSIBLE to use a CHA_FAN or SYS_FAN header to power and control the RAD FAN(S) of an AIO system ONLY if the header has an option to allow it to use for guidance the temperature sensor inside the CPU chip. Many offer that option, but many do NOT. You should NOT try to control the RAD FAN speed according to the default temperature sensor on the MOBO.

Although you can connect a PUMP to a CHA_FAN or SYS_FAN header and set that to a fixed full speed option, I do not recommend that because such a header will NOT protect the CPU chip from rapid overheating if the pump fails and returns NO speed signal.

Mobos that have AIO_PUMP or CPU_OPT headers make alternative connections possible, too, and preferable. BUT many mobos lack those extras and require that you use only the CPU_FAN header for these functions. That appears to be OP"s situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: ReveurGAM

ReveurGAM

Prominent
Sep 28, 2022
Yes, current consumption is important. Almost all mobo fan headers can supply power at 12 VDC up to 1.0 A total current draw for all devices on that one header. OP's AIO system has one pump and one fan. These have max current ratings of 0.30 and 0.34 A respectively, total 0.64 A max. NO problem to fit within the limit of the CPU_FAN header.

One possible reason for NOT connecting both pump and rad fans in a AIO system to the CPU_FAN header is that these two devices require different power and control systems. In most AIO systems (including the one OP has) the PUMP requires power at 12 VDC at all times so that it always runs full speed, and the Rad Fan(s) require feed in the new PWM Mode system. The latter supplies a constant 12 VDC on Pin #2, and the new PWM signal on Pin #4. The PWM fan has a small chip inside to use the PWM signal to modify flow of current from that supply on Pin #2 through the motor windings to achieve speed changes. However, this all CAN be done easily if you understand the units.

The PUMP is wired just like an older 3-pin Voltage Control Fan. The ONLY way to reduce its speed is to reduce the Voltage supplied on Pin #2. When such a fan or pump is connected to a header operating in PWM Mode, it receives from Pin #2 a constant 12 VDC. It does NOT receive the PWM signal from Pin #4, and it does not have the special chip so it could not use that signal, anyway. Thus this pump or fan always runs full speed.

The RAD FAN of this system is the new 4-pin PWM design, so if it is connected to those SAME signals its gets adequate power AND its speed IS controlled by the PWM signal.

So we use this "trick" that depends on these design differences. Connect BOTH the PUMP and the RAD FAN to the same CPU_FAN header using a Splitter. As I said, the max total current fits within the header's limit. The PUMP will always run full speed as intended because the PWM system supplies 12 VDC constantly from Pin #2 and the fan cannot use the PWM signal to change its speed. The Rad Fan(s) DO have their speed controlled by the PWM signal set from that header.

When you do things this way there are THREE additiional items the require attention.
(a) The PUMP MUST be connected to the ONLY output connector on the Splitter that returns its speed to the host header. A VERY important second function of that header is to monitor the speed signal of its device for FAILURE, and the CPU_FAN header will take more-drastic corrective actions than any other mobo fan header, and do so quickly. It can shut down the entire system rapidly without waiting for the temp sensor inside the CPU to indicate rapid high tempertures. This can be done ONLY if the speed signal sent to the CPU_FAN header is the PUMP speed. In an AIO system, this is the one thing that must not fail! For a Splitter that looks like a collection of cable "arms", there will be only ONE male output connector with all FOUR pins inside, and this one WILL send its device's speed signal back to the host header. All other outputs lack Pin #3 that carries the speed signal. For other Splitter or Hub designs, the one output that sends back its speed signal is marked.
(b) The header MUST be set to PWM Mode - NOT to Voltage Control Mode (aka DC Mode), and NOT to Automatic Mode. Only PWM Mode will send out the consant 12 VDC supply and PWM signals. If you leave the CPU_FAN header in its default Automatic Mode option, at every start-up it will test the connected device's speed response to a PWM singal and discover that the PUMP does NOT reduce its speed that way, so it will change itself to Voltage Control Mode and force the PUMP to run slower!
(c) Because this method does NOT connect the RAD FAN speed signal back to the CPU_FAN header that fan's speed will never be displayed anywhere, nor can it be monitored for failure. So from time to time the USER needs to look and verify that the fan(s) are still working.

It is POSSIBLE to use a CHA_FAN or SYS_FAN header to power and control the RAD FAN(S) of an AIO system ONLY if the header has an option to allow it to use for guidance the temperature sensor inside the CPU chip. Many offer that option, but many do NOT. You should NOT try to control the RAD FAN speed according to the default temperature sensor on the MOBO.

Although you can connect a PUMP to a CHA_FAN or SYS_FAN header and set that to a fixed full speed option, I do not recommend that because such a header will NOT protect the CPU chip from rapid overheating if the pump fails and returns NO speed signal.

Mobos that have AIO_PUMP or CPU_OPT headers make alternative connections possible, too, and preferable. BUT many mobos lack those extras and require that you use only the CPU_FAN header for these functions. That appears to be OP"s situation.
Excellent as usual, PD!