Question Can i run dual channel with 3 sticks of ram

Dec 3, 2018
i currently have 2 sticks of ram in my pc, a 4gb stick and a 2gb stick. They are positioned right next to each other. I ordered another 4gb and wonder if it will run in dual channel or single channel and if where i put it in the ram slots will matter?

start with only the 2 4gb sticks. looking at your ram channels the cpu socket will be on the left and a 24 pin power connector on the right. install ram sticks from left to right, ram slot closest to the cpu leave open, 2nd slot install a 4gb stick, 3rd slot leave open, 4th slot install 4gb stick.

once the 2 sticks are installed try and boot into windows. If it boots into windows download CPUz and click on the Memory tab at the top, it should say dual channel.

Reactions: DMAN999
Dec 3, 2018
start with only the 2 4gb sticks. looking at your ram channels the cpu socket will be on the left and a 24 pin power connector on the right. install ram sticks from left to right, ram slot closest to the cpu leave open, 2nd slot install a 4gb stick, 3rd slot leave open, 4th slot install 4gb stick.

once the 2 sticks are installed try and boot into windows. If it boots into windows download CPUz and click on the Memory tab at the top, it should say dual channel.

so is 8gb dual channel better than 10gb single channel?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
If you're running an Intel system that's at least somewhat modern, you could run in flex mode with all 3 sticks. This means that the 2x4 GB sticks would run as if they were in dual channel, with the 2GB stick running as if it were in single channel.

AFAIK the same feature is available for AMD systems.

Reactions: DMAN999