Can i use 1GB of 2700 with an Asus A8V?

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
i have a gig of it laying around and would like to throw it in something... my new pc gamer mag suggests that combo but when i look on the newegg site it says ddr3200....

i was gonna go with the 2700, the asus A8v and an amd 64 xp chip....

It will work, but it won't be as fast as PC3200...I'd recommend upgrading to PC3200 when you have the money. BTW - stick with an nForce chipset mobo. Epox 9NPA+ Ultra or Abit AN8 Ultra are both great boards.

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
thanks.... and those boards will work with the amd 64? or should i just go with an amd xp. the system is for my buddy, he wants to keep the price down.... i have all this extra ram, i figure i'd build the system around it...

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
damn... i just looked at ram prices. he can get 1gb for $75. i havent been doing this in a while.... doooh!!!

i'll just go with the pc3200.

thanks for your help.

What kind of vid card? AGP or PCIe? If you have an AGP card, then take a look at the Asrock 939Dual. Also s939 and takes both AGP and PCIe. This would allow you to use a current AGP card and then upgrade to PCIe when the money was available...

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
i noticed the abit one uses ac97 audio.... do they have ones with the sound storm or am i dating myself again? also, can i use an agp vid card?

Most of the onboard sound nowadays is good - not sure if sound storm is still floating around though...will have to look that one up.

About the only board that FULLY supports AGP and PCIe is the Asrock that I linked above. There are s939 AGP boards, but the option for future PCIe is a true consideration. Do you have an AGP card that you're thinking about throwing in there? If you're buying a vid card, then go ahead and get PCIe...

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
Most of the onboard sound nowadays is good - not sure if sound storm is still floating around though...will have to look that one up.

About the only board that FULLY supports AGP and PCIe is the Asrock that I linked above. There are s939 AGP boards, but the option for future PCIe is a true consideration. Do you have an AGP card that you're thinking about throwing in there? If you're buying a vid card, then go ahead and get PCIe...

i do not have a vid card currently. man, am i out of the loop..... can i post what im looking at and will you let me know if its ok?

he wants to keep it ~$600

:oops: :(

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
well.... theres no way i can keep it close to $600. i may have to go with something like an asus a7n deluxe if i can find one. maybe a 2700+ xp and use that gig of 2700 ram i have.

heres where i am....

Antec Solution SLK1650B Black Steel ATX Mini Tower Computer Case 350W Power Supply – Retail – 63

GIGABYTE GA-K8N Pro-SLI Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard – Retail 110
Bundled with
BFG Tech BFGR78256GTCOD2 Geforce 7800GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16 Video Card – 350

2 Rosewill 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) System Memory 35 ea

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Winchester 1GHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor – Retail - 190

thats ~$700 without a hd or dvd burner.

Xrock

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2004
As far as I can see it. Good video card with slow CPU. Or decent video card with good CPU. I rather have Good CPU with decent video. Mybe consider NV 6800GS, ATI X1600, ATI X800GTO for vidoe card.

There's a recent thread about a below $500 PC. I specced a rig for about $573. Do a quick search for that thread. I have to get ready for work, but will post some more later. A couple of quick notes:
1. You went high on the vid card - get an eVGA. There are some for around $270 and clocked as fast as the BFG - check Newegg.com
2. Don't need SLI. Chaintech VNF4 Ultra for around $70
3. 3200+ Venice should be around $160

pat

Expert
hehe... It's done already.. I did it today, because it was too cold to start the excavator..-25 celcius this morning .. so I did not went to work. It's going to be as cold tomorrow, so I will install it on the house.

It is a single pole, extensible enough to reach the signal.. well.. I hope..

So, in case you care about me being in the cold, I'm a strong canadian used to that kind of weather and it will be only 8 screw to install the whole thing.. I did it modular..

pat

Expert
use the button then...

I don't know..maybe you're just not due to have your linkies right..

Anyway, I'll keep going behind you fixing your mess as I did since you first posted... :twisted: