ajohnson94

Reputable
Nov 18, 2017
Hi,

My question is pretty much what you read above.

Since I've been PC gaming I've always used a 32" Sony 1080p HDTV (using an HDMI cable). Most games I play will run at a really nice temperature, most recently I've played games like Batman Arkham Knight for instance around the late 50's early 60's and Insurgency sandstorm around 60ish and this is normal for loads of others. I've started playing RDR2 on PC and the temps are HIGH. At least to what im used too, they're like 70 bordering 80 at times. I totally get that games use different engines and have different demands on a system etc but wondered if using an HDTV creates some sort of bottle necking? Of course its only 60hz and i have to use vsync locking it to 60fps and an HDMI cable cant carry as much bandwidth as a display port etc.

Is there some truth to this or is it simply down to the games themselves/cooling of PC parts. My specs are below.

Spec;
GPU; 2080ti
CPU; Ryzen 2700x
RAM; 32gb
MoBo; ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
SSD; Samsung EVO 500gb

Solution
My temps don't change at all running a TV or a display (all things being equal).
If you are running on the PC at greater than 60 fps your temps will be hotter.
....and there's nothing wrong with a GPU temp of 80.
Nov 7, 2019
Nope the type of monitor or TV you use had no effect on the temps what so ever. 70-80 is about the running temp for sure but if you'd like to make it lower try running a software to control the fan speed that's what I do. I personally have 4 exhaust fans that push the air out of my system keeping my systems temp pretty low.