Question Cannot get Windows or BIOS to recognize my new WD Blue PCI-E NVMe SSD

Oct 27, 2022
I bought a 1TB WD Blue PCI-E NVMe SSD (WDS100T3B0C) for my MSI B450-A Pro motherboard. I checked the MSI website and this SSD is compatible with my mobo so that is not the issue. I also used some canned air to clean out the slot prior to installing it to ensure I properly inserted the NVMe (throughout this process I took out and put the NVMe back in 3 times to ensure it wasnt due to it not being installed properly).

I currently have my OS running on a 1TB WD HDD and my goal was to transfer my OS over to my new NVMe. I installed my NVMe and when I when I went into file explorer it did not recognize the new SSD. I went into BIOS and it also did not recognize the SSD.
I went into Device Manager and tried to get it to check for new devices and nothing came up. I changed my BIOS mode from CMS to UEFI as I heard it will not read the SSD if you're in CMS (I needed to be in CMS after I installed my new CPU in order to get my comp to boot past BIOS, another long story of hair pulling troubleshooting). In order to do this I needed to use MBR2GPT to change my HDD format. To reiterate, I am now in UEFI boot mode so my computer should be able to recognize hardware changes.

I have also tried clearing CMOS. I tried using the 4x4x4x4 configuration. I have nothing plugged into SATA 5 and 6. I cannot see my drive in disk management, file explorer or BIOS. Please someone help me figure out why I cannot get windows or BIOS to recognize my NVMe SSD. At this point I am so tired of troubleshooting/googling/turning my computer on and off that I might just return it and stick with my old slow HDD forever.

Hardware:
Mobo - MSI B450-A Pro CPU - Ryzen 5 5600 GPU - RTX 2070 RAM - G.Skill 8GBx2 PSU - 700W (power supply is not the issue)
Running Windows 10 Home on the latest BIOS update

SOLVED: drive was faulty

Last edited:
I bought a 1TB WD Blue PCI-E NVMe SSD (WDS100T3B0C) for my MSI B450-A Pro motherboard. I checked the MSI website and this SSD is compatible with my mobo so that is not the issue. I also used some canned air to clean out the slot prior to installing it to ensure I properly inserted the NVMe (throughout this process I took out and put the NVMe back in 3 times to ensure it wasnt due to it not being installed properly).

I currently have my OS running on a 1TB WD HDD and my goal was to transfer my OS over to my new NVMe. I installed my NVMe and when I when I went into file explorer it did not recognize the new SSD. I went into BIOS and it also did not recognize the SSD.
I went into Device Manager and tried to get it to check for new devices and nothing came up. I changed my BIOS mode from CMS to UEFI as I heard it will not read the SSD if you're in CMS (I needed to be in CMS after I installed my new CPU in order to get my comp to boot past BIOS, another long story of hair pulling troubleshooting). In order to do this I needed to use MBR2GPT to change my HDD format. To reiterate, I am now in UEFI boot mode so my computer should be able to recognize hardware changes.

I have also tried clearing CMOS. I tried using the 4x4x4x4 configuration. I have nothing plugged into SATA 5 and 6. I cannot see my drive in disk management, file explorer or BIOS. Please someone help me figure out why I cannot get windows or BIOS to recognize my NVMe SSD. At this point I am so tired of troubleshooting/googling/turning my computer on and off that I might just return it and stick with my old slow HDD forever.

Hardware:
Mobo - MSI B450-A Pro CPU - Ryzen 5 5600 GPU - RTX 2070 RAM - G.Skill 8GBx2 PSU - 700W (power supply is not the issue)
Running Windows 10 Home on the latest BIOS update
Test this ssd in a different machine.
Make sure it's not busted.

Reactions: DeeJLP