[SOLVED] Can't get PCIe SSD to show up

CoDrift

Honorable
Jun 11, 2018
Ok, a backstory: So I badly needed a storage upgrade since I'm currently running 5 small (Mix of 128s, 500s, 320s) SSDs and HDDs. Thought I'd move to all SSD storage and I wanted to use two separate SSDs. One as boot drive and the other as my main drive for storing data and games etc. My motherboard is a P8Z77-V-Duluxe from Asus running a 3770k. I am planning to move to ryzen soon, so I wanted to get M.2 based storage so I can keep using it when that happens. Current motherboard doesnt have NVMe support as boot drive, fine by me as I dont want the NVMe as my boot drive anyway.
I found this device and it was absolutely perfect for my needs, hit the nail on the head to put it simply, runs one m.2 drive as sata and the other as a PCIe NVMe drive (or atleast it was supposed to).
I bought a 512GB sata M.2 to use as C drive and plugged it into the sata M.2 slot on this expansion? card, plugged in a sata cable and worked flawlessly.
Then came the problem, the same ssd was not detected when it was plugged into the NVMe slot.

My question is... is this a motherboard issue or is this card not what it seems. It had reviews when I bought it and people did say they got it to work. There's no drivers for this thing (it's literally just a set of traces from the ssd to the PCIe connector). Or does M.2 sata not show up in NVMe configuration? I haven't bought an NVMe drive yet as I'm not sure if it's gonna be a uselessly sitting on a shelf using up warranty if it doesn't work.

Note: I'm not trying to install windows on NVMe, just want it accessible inside windows. Also, the SSD I'm using is B+M key, it fits in both slots.

acf34e4c84806278c4273bee73997281.jpg_720x720.jpg_.webp

Solution
I bought a 512GB sata M.2 to use as C drive and plugged it into the sata M.2 slot on this expansion? card, plugged in a sata cable and worked flawlessly.
Then came the problem, the same ssd was not detected when it was plugged into the NVMe slot.
2 different slots for 2 different drives.

A SATA M.2 drive Will Not Work in the NVMe side of that adapter.
At all. Ever.

USAFRet

Titan
2 different slots for 2 different drives.

A SATA M.2 drive Will Not Work in the NVMe side of that adapter.
At all. Ever.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Oh Interesting, I always thought it will just work at reduced speeds. Thanks a bunch for this! I guess I'll have to get a proper NVMe drive to test the other slot.
2 completely different protocols.

And, your Z77 board may not be able to boot from a drive in that PCIe slot adapter.
Either SATA or NVMe.

For that system, don't bother with an NVMe drive, at all.

Reactions: CoDrift