[SOLVED] Cant here in game voice chat in any game! </3

aryan826

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2015
<Mod Edit> me dead guys this is driving me mad. as i stated i canot hear anyone else in game, i can see there voice chat icon appear but no sound. this has happened in Hunt showdown, rainbow 6 seige and over watch that i have tested.
side note i have also noticed in discord when testing my mic it dosnt seem to detect it at all it shows up in audio device list and when i unplug it it disappears, but dosnt seem to care that its there.

so first some obvious things, i am not stoopid :) i have tested all the obvious things i could think of so please dont suggest those again. so far i have tried;

reinstalling the games (thought it was a game issue)
reinstalling steam (thought it was a steam issue) (clearly not since also overwatch dont work)
setting headphones to default device, and mic to default
disabling all other devices
also have a vive plugged in that wasn't showing up and said mic was default, but when i turned on vive it made that default so i manually set vive not deffualt
updated drivers
uninstalled mic / driver? and re-plugged in so itre- downloaded (also uninstalled and left completely disconnected)
and finally changed the dns thing to googles 8888 thingy
none of those have worked and i want to cry ;_( plz save me tomshardwarefolk you are my only hope <3

also also i use a USB webcam / mic combo. and discord detects the cam fine, jsut not the mic. i have read that this can be an issue with USB mic/cams but the solutions didnt work </3 but if that was the problem why woudl it still be there after it was uninstalled and disconnected! :_(

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Have you gone into your Privacy settings and made sure 'Allow apps to use microphone' is enabled? I had this problem and ticking that fixed it.

aryan826

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2015
ok update. for some reason disabling all mics worked this time. might have done it wrong last time? in anycase, its soooort of fixed, but now i have no way to talk to anyone. think if i got a dedicated mic it would work? i dont understand what casued this issue in the first place, it was fine like last week.

aryan826

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2015
well damn that worked. in game chat working on both sides..... thanks man. that seems like such an obvious solution :D how was it not suggested anywhere. but once again thanks very much <3 <3 <3

Snip3o

Reputable
Jan 2, 2017
well damn that worked. in game chat working on both sides..... thanks man. that seems like such an obvious solution :D how was it not suggested anywhere. but once again thanks very much <3 <3 <3
No problem, I was also pulling my hair out when I was having this problem and was releived but also frustrated that it was such an obvious fix.