[SOLVED] Cant make connection wiith PC and notebook using LAN cable

May 1, 2020
I wanted to connect my PC with notebook through LAN cable (CAT5-568B, also tried few others with 4 wires) . On PC side i use win10 and i set IP to 192.168.0.30, Mask 255.255.255.0 and on notebook side i use win7 with IP 192.168.0.50 and Mask 255.255.255.0. I disabled firewalls on both side, but just before I did that i add rules that would allow icmp4 and icmp6 echo requests and allow UDP protocol to be established on all local ports and any IPs, in private or public networks. I disabled AVs on both PCs. Tried to ping in both ways but most of the time i get host unreachable. I installed wireshark on both pcs and one of the symptoms i could see is that my PC is sending broadcast messages, but notebook is not replying. When i try to ping from notebook i dont see broadcast messages. Tried pinging themselves and it is working for both pcs. I would really appreciate some suggestions ^_^ I tried many things beside from this, but couldnt explain them because some solutions i found on internet and they didnt work.

Solution
Does the ethernet port show as a active..ie it does not have a "disconnected" status. Although it generally works to hook 2 computer back to back sometimes it still does not work. This used to be where you used crossover cables but that is no longer needed and it should just work.

When ping does not work try looking in the ARP table. ARP -a

You can clear the arp table and then attempt to ping the remote IP. If the ARP entry reappears then they have some basic communication and it must be something else blocking it. You should also see the arp and the reply in wireshark. Note arp is almost impossible to block with any form of firewall or virus software so if it does not work it does not have connectivity.

If you can...
Does the ethernet port show as a active..ie it does not have a "disconnected" status. Although it generally works to hook 2 computer back to back sometimes it still does not work. This used to be where you used crossover cables but that is no longer needed and it should just work.

When ping does not work try looking in the ARP table. ARP -a

You can clear the arp table and then attempt to ping the remote IP. If the ARP entry reappears then they have some basic communication and it must be something else blocking it. You should also see the arp and the reply in wireshark. Note arp is almost impossible to block with any form of firewall or virus software so if it does not work it does not have connectivity.

If you can plug the machines into a switch or even into a router that is not connected to the internet. If they work like this it is likely some setting in the ethernet port that is preventing them from connecting at a hardware level.

You could try things like setting the duplex/speed to 1gbit on both ends when they are directly connected. Check that there is nothing like power save enabled on the nics.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
I wanted to connect my PC with notebook through LAN cable (CAT5-568B, also tried few others with 4 wires) . On PC side i use win10 and i set IP to 192.168.0.30, Mask 255.255.255.0 and on notebook side i use win7 with IP 192.168.0.50 and Mask 255.255.255.0. I disabled firewalls on both side, but just before I did that i add rules that would allow icmp4 and icmp6 echo requests and allow UDP protocol to be established on all local ports and any IPs, in private or public networks. I disabled AVs on both PCs. Tried to ping in both ways but most of the time i get host unreachable. I installed wireshark on both pcs and one of the symptoms i could see is that my PC is sending broadcast messages, but notebook is not replying. When i try to ping from notebook i dont see broadcast messages. Tried pinging themselves and it is working for both pcs. I would really appreciate some suggestions ^_^ I tried many things beside from this, but couldnt explain them because some solutions i found on internet and they didnt work.
Laptops often have a 100Mbit ethernet. If the PC is not gigabit, then a crossover cable may be required.