[SOLVED] Chkdsk fixing corruption/Partition Optimization 1TB HDD

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
Hello all,

Ever since the beginning of using my Acer Nitro 5 AN515-53, I have experienced stuttering/freezing whenever I do
any kind of new task such as opening an application, opening a new tab, or even just scrolling through a
loaded webpage.

After doing a multitude of possible solutions, I believe it may be because of my disk frequently/infrequently
going to 100% usage despite nothing being idle or nothing major is running. Virtual memory, SysMain and
Windows Search are definitely not the problem.

However, my laptop still stutters/freezes regardless if there is 100% usage seen in task manager.

In the past I have done a clean installation deleting all partitions, and recently I did a repair install when I had
update errors but it still persists. I have checked the health of my hard drive and it is perfectly fine.

I have 8GB of RAM, and the likely solution is to get more but I do not plan on spending a dime on anything
for my laptop. I do not know if doing a complete CHKDSK operation will fix the problem, but I am using it as
my last cost-free resort to fixing my problem. I find it might be a possible fix because I did get errors from
running CHKDSK /c by curiosity:

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
1027328 file records processed.
File verification completed.
Phase duration (File record verification): 1.10 minutes.
File record segment 4645 is an orphan.
File record segment 4649 is an orphan.
File record segment 464E is an orphan.
File record segment 4651 is an orphan.
8504 large file records processed.
Phase duration (Orphan file record recovery): 0.00 milliseconds.

Errors found. CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode.

I think it is unlikely fixing my HDD with CHKDSK will resolve the 100% error and fix stuttering/freezing, but if I wanted to make sure I make the most out of a CHKDSK repair in one restart should I do chkdsk C:/f /r /x ? about how long would it take?

Can I run this operation overnight or does this require my attention/multiple restarts?

If I wanted to fix what I can with less time is there a good software that fixes hard drives?

I am using a single partition and I know that scanning that one drive will take a long time so will
shrinking the volume speed up the CHKDSK operation?

If I should use a separate partition for windows files/boot can I move them to a 100GB/150GB
partition and how would I do this?

Solution
If I should use a separate partition for windows files/boot can I move them to a 100GB/150GB
No.
If the physical drive is acting up, a partition does not help.

And in any case, you can't move 'only Windows' to a different partition.

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
No.
If the physical drive is acting up, a partition does not help.

And in any case, you can't move 'only Windows' to a different partition.
I see, thank you.
Would it be better instead to shrink the file size and make a separate partition for games and whatnot?
Also is running chkdsk C:/f /r /x the best option to fully repair a hard drive?

USAFRet

Titan
I see, thank you.
Would it be better instead to shrink the file size and make a separate partition for games and whatnot?
Also is running chkdsk C:/f /r /x the best option to fully repair a hard drive?
From your text, it sounds like the drive is physically failing.
There is not a "fix" for that.
And the more you hammer on it with chkdsk or whatever....brings it closer to full fail.

Seriously consider a full replacement, as soon as possible.

Hello all,

Ever since the beginning of using my Acer Nitro 5 AN515-53, I have experienced stuttering/freezing whenever I do
any kind of new task such as opening an application, opening a new tab, or even just scrolling through a
loaded webpage.

After doing a multitude of possible solutions, I believe it may be because of my disk frequently/infrequently
going to 100% usage despite nothing being idle or nothing major is running. Virtual memory, SysMain and
Windows Search are definitely not the problem.

However, my laptop still stutters/freezes regardless if there is 100% usage seen in task manager.

In the past I have done a clean installation deleting all partitions, and recently I did a repair install when I had
update errors but it still persists. I have checked the health of my hard drive and it is perfectly fine.

I have 8GB of RAM, and the likely solution is to get more but I do not plan on spending a dime on anything
for my laptop. I do not know if doing a complete CHKDSK operation will fix the problem, but I am using it as
my last cost-free resort to fixing my problem. I find it might be a possible fix because I did get errors from
running CHKDSK /c by curiosity:

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
1027328 file records processed.
File verification completed.
Phase duration (File record verification): 1.10 minutes.
File record segment 4645 is an orphan.
File record segment 4649 is an orphan.
File record segment 464E is an orphan.
File record segment 4651 is an orphan.
8504 large file records processed.
Phase duration (Orphan file record recovery): 0.00 milliseconds.

Errors found. CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode.

I think it is unlikely fixing my HDD with CHKDSK will resolve the 100% error and fix stuttering/freezing, but if I wanted to make sure I make the most out of a CHKDSK repair in one restart should I do chkdsk C:/f /r /x ? about how long would it take?

Can I run this operation overnight or does this require my attention/multiple restarts?

If I wanted to fix what I can with less time is there a good software that fixes hard drives?

I am using a single partition and I know that scanning that one drive will take a long time so will
shrinking the volume speed up the CHKDSK operation?

Leave the partitions alone......don't muddy the water.
Chkdsk can take 4/5+hrs to complete depending on what it finds.
Have a good backup plan before running chkdsk....just in case.

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
From your text, it sounds like the drive is physically failing.
There is not a "fix" for that.
And the more you hammer on it with chkdsk or whatever....brings it closer to full fail.

Seriously consider a full replacement, as soon as possible.
I do not have money to replace a hard drive for this laptop,
I've only used it for a year and a half and have taken very good care of it.
If it was failing the week I bought it I would be very frustrated...

I would like to take the risk either way to fix what I can, if not then I will continue to use it for as long as I can before getting a new laptop.
With that in mind do you know any software that might be less bearing and possibly fix errors? From the scan it did indicate it was corrupted.

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
Leave the partitions alone......don't muddy the water.
Chkdsk can take 4/5+hrs to complete depending on what it finds.
Have a good backup plan before running chkdsk....just in case.
Thanks, when you run the full command C:/f /r /x in command prompt you just restart once and leave it to do it's job overnight right?

USAFRet

Titan
I do not have money to replace a hard drive for this laptop,
I've only used it for a year and a half and have taken very good care of it.
If it was failing the week I bought it I would be very frustrated...

I would like to take the risk either way to fix what I can, if not then I will continue to use it for as long as I can before getting a new laptop.
With that in mind do you know any software that might be less bearing and possibly fix errors? From the scan it did indicate it was corrupted.
If it is only a year and a half old, it is likely still under warranty.

Hard drives, being physical devices with moving parts, sometimes fail. That is a fact of life.

Your chkdsk operation may fix it. Or, it might push it off the edge of the cliff to certain doom.

Back up your data and prepare for it to fail.
Might fail today, next week, next year...

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
If it is only a year and a half old, it is likely still under warranty.

Hard drives, being physical devices with moving parts, sometimes fail. That is a fact of life.

Your chkdsk operation may fix it. Or, it might push it off the edge of the cliff to certain doom.

Back up your data and prepare for it to fail.
Might fail today, next week, next year...
I no longer have warranty, so this is my only personal resort to fix things.
If not, I will just deal with it. I have all my needed files backed up to one drive, everything else does not matter to me.
I don't plan on running it anytime soon, but does the
command C:/f /r /x just prompt you to restart and it does all the work in one go?

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
It seems it is only necessary to run /R, after doing so I got a successful repair but little to no noticeable changes occurred. Oh well.

Do you know how I can see what got fixed? Event viewer doesn't show what happens when you run /R, only scans and etc.