[SOLVED] Clearing cmos on b150-hd3

Avanis

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015
I'm 99% sure my motherboard is dead, was playing GTA V, before I play I usually open a program called MSI Afterburner and turn my GPU's clock all the way down or else I will be getting some crazy artifacts.

Mid-game, PC shuts down, and does not boot up, literally dead, the only thing that turns on is my keyboard, keyboards lights flash on and off, and it shouldn't do that, that means my keyboard is getting power and it goes on and off, while the PC is still shut since it doesnt even boot.

So I read clearing CMOS might help, I have a picture down below and I circled 2 pins, is this the CMOS? Do I use a screwdriver and short them?
Gigabyte B150-HD3

Solution
I tried it on a very old PC that I have, and it was working, but it's a very old PC, so not sure if that counts, how can I properly test it?
You most likely don't have the equipment to properly test it under load.
The easiest way is to determine if it's the issue is to swap another one in.

If you look on this list

that power supply is listed as

Tier D • Recommended only for very cheap, iGPU systems
EVGA | BT - B <=600W

In other words...it's a low quality power supply....and I'd be replacing it.

Lutfij

Titan

Do you see a battery located between the first and second PCIe slots? With the system disconnected from the wall and monitor, press and hold down the power button, then remove the battery located in the picture for at least 30 minutes before replacing it and reconnecting to the wall and display. If that doesn't work, perhaps the board is dead. It might even be that your PSU said goodbye without telling why.

Specs to your entire build, please?

Looking at that one picture you've parsed, I can tell the innards need some cleaning/dusting.

Reactions: Avanis

Avanis

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015
Yes...touch them for a few seconds.

Thanks!

Do you see a battery located between the first and second PCIe slots? With the system disconnected from the wall and monitor, press and hold down the power button, then remove the battery located in the picture for at least 30 minutes before replacing it and reconnecting to the wall and display. If that doesn't work, perhaps the board is dead. It might even be that your PSU said goodbye without telling why.

Specs to your entire build, please?

Looking at that one picture you've parsed, I can tell the innards need some cleaning/dusting.

CPU: i3 6100
GPU: EVGA GTX 960 2GB
PSU: EVGA 500B 80 Plus Bronze
RAM: 2x DDR4 4GB PC4-2133

I tried but it didnt work, tested the PSU yesterday with a multimeter and its fine.

What I noticed is that this specific part i circled below gets super hot when I just turn on my PSU, even tho my PC doesnt even boot and nothing is on, it just gets super hot once I turn on my PSU, PSU fan doesn't move or anything, that part just gets really hot.

Avanis

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015
"tested the PSU yesterday with a multimeter and its fine."

I wouldn't discount the PSU being the problem if you only tested it with a multimeter.
A multimeter doesn't apply nearly enough load to test a PSU properly.

I tried it on a very old PC that I have, and it was working, but it's a very old PC, so not sure if that counts, how can I properly test it?

You most likely don't have the equipment to properly test it under load.
The easiest way is to determine if it's the issue is to swap another one in.

If you look on this list

that power supply is listed as

Tier D • Recommended only for very cheap, iGPU systems
EVGA | BT - B <=600W

In other words...it's a low quality power supply....and I'd be replacing it.

Reactions: Avanis
Solution