Question Computer randomly black screens, sound cuts off, keyboard & mouse lights go off and later come on, computer still on

Status
Not open for further replies.

BK4

May 29, 2022
Hello, so I have this problem with my computer for almost a year now which I still don't know how to fix at all...

I'll try to describe my problem in detail.
This mostly and randomly happens when I'm playing a game or watching Twitch livestream, although I noticed during which games it crashes the most

While playing a game or watching livestream, my monitor will randomly black screen, sound will immediately cut off, keyboard and mouse lights go off but come on after like 10 seconds later, monitor and sound still remain off but are connected and working, and the computer itself is still running... It's like the computer crashed but keeps on going, although lights inside the computer didn't go off at all, and I can't do anything besides hold the power button down for 5 seconds or hitting the switch to 0 on my PSU in order to shut it off.

I was searching for this problem for a while now and found similar problems, but not the same ones.
There actually were some helpful tips like to increase CPU and Memory voltages by like 0.02w, which actually decreased the chance of this happening.
It used to happen 1-3 times a day, now it happens like 3 times a week, more and less sometimes.

It crashes the most while paying these games: CS:GO, Rainbow 6 Siege, GTA 5, Euro/American Truck Simulator and even Among us sometimes!

It also crashed twice while on desktop with almost nothing opened in the background, just had opened Microsoft Edge and was watching Twitch. The computer was on for only like 20 minutes back then and it crashed! No way anything overheated or PSU voltage went over during that crash, that's impossible.

I also checked the history of crashes in the windows settings, but it said that it was unexpected crash with no more details.

Here are my specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT Speedster MERC 319 BLACK Gaming
RAM: HyperX 64GB (4x16) DDR4 3733 MHz CL19 FURY Black series
Storage: M,2 SSD Samsung 980 PRO 2 TB
Liquid Cooling: NZXT Kraken x53
Case: NZXT H510i Matte Black Red
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 GA

I also have almost never seen my PSU reach up to 700W+ voltage during gameplay

Does anyone know how to prevent this? It can be frustrating as hell sometimes...

BK4

May 29, 2022
I also did reconnect every single cable on my motherboard, Liquid Cooler, reinsterted RAM and GPU and it's cables, I've made sure everything is fully connected inside the build.

Apr 18, 2022
Had almost the same issue for 2 years, where applications would crash, audio would make weird static noises and computer screen shuts off, but not pc itself. Sadly haven't had any luck finding the problem yet and I have almost built a new computer. I have replaced ram sticks, SSD with new drivers, flashed bios and even changed PSU. Same issue. Recently did notice that MOSFETs near the cpu were burnt. I plan on changing motherboard next to see if that helps. Maybe try looking for any burn marks on motherboard?

BK4

May 29, 2022
Had almost the same issue for 2 years, where applications would crash, audio would make weird static noises and computer screen shuts off, but not pc itself. Sadly haven't had any luck finding the problem yet and I have almost built a new computer. I have replaced ram sticks, SSD with new drivers, flashed bios and even changed PSU. Same issue. Recently did notice that MOSFETs near the cpu were burnt. I plan on changing motherboard next to see if that helps. Maybe try looking for any burn marks on motherboard?

Thanks for your reply.

Last time I checked my motherboard was when I was changing RAM positions when it was saying that I'm using 32GB instead of 64GB, had to reposition all 4 to make them work properly again.

From what I remember, I don't remember seeing any burn marks or smelling something of being burnt, everything still smells like it's almost new inside the built

I'm actually kinda suspicious it might be motherboard that is causing system to crash, but then again it just doesn't make sense... why would it crash after using computer for around 20 minutes just watching videos? It couldn't overheat or anything. It was also weird that this RAM problem happened all of a sudden for no reason too. All of these problems are completely random, just higher chance while playing certain games like I mentioned.

Or why does providing +0.02W to CPU and Memory makes it crash less? That's what confusese even more

But I'll check again when I get home, might find something :p
Hopefully I won't find anything because I really don't want to rebuild the whole PC because of a motherboard :D

Apr 18, 2022
In my computer's case, burned MOSFET would kinda make sense. I'm not an expert, but I think MOSFET regulates the amount of power each component gets and maybe with it being burned, it gives wrong amount of power to components, causing it to shut the component down for a second, freezing the screen etc. I didn't notice any smell or anything. Only after going over the motherboard with a flashlight, I was able to see the burned MOSFET. Btw have you tried turning monitor on from the monitor power button. Sometimes when the screen doesn't reboot, I restarted my monitor and then I got a picture again and didn't have to reboot my PC.

Sry for bad English.

BK4

May 29, 2022
In my computer's case, burned MOSFET would kinda make sense. I'm not an expert, but I think MOSFET regulates the amount of power each component gets and maybe with it being burned, it gives wrong amount of power to components, causing it to shut the component down for a second, freezing the screen etc. I didn't notice any smell or anything. Only after going over the motherboard with a flashlight, I was able to see the burned MOSFET. Btw have you tried turning monitor on from the monitor power button. Sometimes when the screen doesn't reboot, I restarted my monitor and then I got a picture again and didn't have to reboot my PC.

Sry for bad English.

Thanks for another reply

So I took a closer look on my MB and found some green stuff around some MOSFETs close to CPU: View: https://imgur.com/a/Sro1jtn

Not sure if it's supposed to look like this or if this is the issue we're looking for

About the monitor, yes I have turned it on/off during this issue, it's only black screen again after that, not even sure if it's even displaying black screen of just blank nothing. It's like the system crashed at one point causing sound and screen to cut off and it stays like this until I force shut it off :p

Apr 18, 2022
Most likely that's ok. Have you checked reliability monitor on your pc and check what that says? You can also test you ram with memtest and stress your gpu with furmark and see if that shows you anything.

BK4

May 29, 2022
Most likely that's ok. Have you checked reliability monitor on your pc and check what that says? You can also test you ram with memtest and stress your gpu with furmark and see if that shows you anything.

Thanks for another reply

I have checked it like you recommended, it only says that it was an unexpected shutdown and that's it. View: https://imgur.com/a/pChYkiV

Speaking of the problem, it happened right now as I'm typing this! Here's a video I just made to show you the problem better:
View: https://youtu.be/Y1FjBS7diZA

Once again it black screened during Dead By Daylight, sound immediately cut off, lights on mouse & keyboard went off, then on, off and on again, and pc was still running with nothing on the display/anything working, then I force shut it down because there's nothing else I can do.

I also did run CPU and GPU stress tests a while ago, both were successful.

Apr 18, 2022
I am quite certain it's either PSU or motherboard issue. I'm leaning more towards motherboard. I had similar PSU issue where pc would randomly turn off and start turning on and off pc until I shut it down from the power button. But since your pc stays on, but everything connected to motherboard turns off, including USB devices, I'm thinking motherboard. What motherboard are you using?

BK4

May 29, 2022
I am quite certain it's either PSU or motherboard issue. I'm leaning more towards motherboard. I had similar PSU issue where pc would randomly turn off and start turning on and off pc until I shut it down from the power button. But since your pc stays on, but everything connected to motherboard turns off, including USB devices, I'm thinking motherboard. What motherboard are you using?

Thanks for another reply

I'm using Aorus X570 Ultra motherboard, and yeah I hate to say it but I agree that it could be motherboard, like you said.
It makes way more sense for it to be MB instead of PSU, because that wouldn't keep the computer running or it couldn't crash when it didn't reach more than 700w on a 850w PSU, impossible.

Does that mean I have to replace the entire MB to fix this problem? Isn't there any other solution that could help or anything?
I really don't want to disassemble, wait for a new MB and reassemble my entire computer because of a motherboard issue...
But thanks for pointing that out tho, it all makes more sense now... so is there anything I could do besides replacing it?

Or why does increasing CPU and Memory volts decrease the chance of system crashing? That I don't understand at all...

Apr 18, 2022
Sadly all my comments are speculation. What I'm telling is not 100%, since I myself haven't found the solution yet and your problem Is not exactly like mine. I have reliability centre tell me that it's hardware issue, while yours doesnt. It could also maybe be software issue. So before changing mb, try reinstalling all drivers using ddu, remove Intel software and let it install everything on its own, update bios etc. There should be guide on doing all software related troubleshooting. Try also going into 3d Nvidia settings and make it use maximum power, someone fixed it doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.