Question Computer shutting off abruptly after adding RAMs, even after taking them back apart

mujmuj

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2015
This has been my computer components, and I never experienced any problem until today.
  • Crucial P5 2TB PCIe M.2
  • GIGABYTE Radeon RX 6500 XT GAMING OC 4G(GV-R65XTGAMING OC-4GD)
  • ASRock Z690 Phantom Gaming 4/D5 INTEL
  • TWO Crucial DDR5 4800_32G
  • 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900KF
  • Cougar Gex 1050 power supply
Note that I had TWO DDR5 32G, so the total was already 64GB.

But then today I added (well, tried adding)
  • TWO Kingston DDR5 5600 32G
But then the monitor was struggling to turn on. It didn't seem right. And sometimes, it just showed me the notorious "System failed to boot several times before error" in the black background. I am not sure if it would have been loaded successfully if I tried more.

But after failing to boot a few times, I took the two Kingston DDR5 away. That is, now all the computer components are as it was before.

But even after taking Kingston away, my computer is not normal. Even more seriously, now it either boots to what looks like a safe mode, or even if it boots correctly, the computer just abruptly shuts off when I didn't do anything other than opening a browser.

I googled "computer abruptly shuts off" and many say it's power supply issue or overheating issue.

Is there a reason why the attempt to add RAMs could cause this problem?

Is Gex 1050 power supply a week power supply to handle my RAM and CPU?

I am not sure but it did look like the power supply fan on the bottom of the computer didn't seem to be running except for 3 seconds after I press the computer power button.

Or, maybe it's the lack of thermal paste? While having issues after installing Kingston DDR5 today, I took the CPU cooler away to check if my RAM installation was not right, and then mistakenly touched the bottom of the CPU cooler so some chunk of the thermal paste was put on my finger. So this made the amount of thermal paste on CPU cooler not enough, so it overheated?

Nephern

Prominent
Sep 20, 2022
it may be that you mixed brands and speeds, the computer cant handle different brands and especially different speeds.

doing so can permanently damage your computer

i would try a clean install of windows and updating your bios.

mujmuj

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2015
if you can, download windows onto a thumb drive, then plug it in and the computer will override the drive and you can download a copy of windows onto the pc.

Thank you. I will try that after milder solutions fail.

I am thinking of applying more thermal paste. Need to buy that somewhere.

And is Gex 1050 too weak to power up my components including Kingston 32G DDR5? If yes, then perhaps the overloaded power supply broke when I booted with Kingston?

Nephern

Prominent
Sep 20, 2022
it may be, the psu you are using is not a reputable brand and could have failed due to a power spike, i would go for a better branded power supply sometime soon, something from corsair or evga.

mujmuj

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2015
it may be that you mixed brands and speeds, the computer cant handle different brands and especially different speeds.

doing so can permanently damage your computer

i would try a clean install of windows and updating your bios.

Clean install of windows and updating bios means I lose all the data?

Nephern

Prominent
Sep 20, 2022
you could try just reseting your bios, that might help.

if you need the data plug your ssd/hdd into another computer and copy the data over to there.

Last edited:
Clean install of windows and updating bios means I lose all the data?
First update the BIOS.

But it's hard to run 4 equal sticks of DDR5 and you are mixing sticks so it's even harder. You need 2 kits of 2 sticks with the exact same brand and model of RAM to have a small chance of stable operation.

And is Gex 1050 too weak to power up my components including Kingston 32G DDR5?
With a system powerdraw of max 400w, a 1050w is massively overkill. On the otherway it doesn't hurt anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: mujmuj