[SOLVED] Confusing Power Issues, and Simple Question

DivneBloodline

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2014
I have two issues, I'll start with the more confusing of the two. Second hand Origin PC, almost new when I original got it. Issues are new and recent. I'll list the specs below. I don't know where to start really. When I start certain games I'll lose power to all my peripherals, on the case IO or the motherboard IO. In some cases the game will continue to run and others it will freeze as well. However, in general I don't believe the computer itself is freezing. The weird part afterwards is the computer can have to power issue without me being launched into a game. I could be idling on my desktop and I will have the issue again. At first I thought it was the PSU so I switched it out for my only spare. However, it fixed the issue for a small time until I encounter the problem again. Now I just kill the power from the wall after powering down my PC. After a min of two of not having any power to the system it fixes the issues until a game will trigger the power issue again. I'm really confused about the whole thing. The games that seem to trigger the issue are Black Ops 3, and Bulletstrom. BO3 almost immediately on start up. However, might be a consequences but I can play Hitman 2, and EU4 for hours on end with no issues. I don't know if it is a short of some kind. Nothing seems out of place to my eye physical. IDK if it is a software issue somehow, or PSU, GPU, or motherboard. I did replace all the cables that run power to the major components of my PC. No overclocking, and GPU driver is updated. Please feel free to ask for any info you need, I'm sure I have left out something important.

My other question is a simple CL RAM question. My laptop needs more ram, mostly just light gaming and web browsing. Upgrading to 16GB at 2400MHz. Cheaper RAM is CL17 and the other is CL16 should I just get the cheaper in my case or what?

Specs:
Desktop (Power Issues)
ASUS Deluxe X99 II
Intel Core i7-5960X
32 GB @ 2133MHz
GTX 980
RM 750x

Laptop (RAM Question)
Ryzen 5 3500u
Vega 8 APU
8 GB of RAM

Solution
well, if symptoms seemed similar thru another PSU, we cannot rule out the GPU or even a RAM stick causing a partial brownout/lockup...

Do you have 2 ram sticks or 4?

Remove half your RAM, and retest for stability....if no change, test the other half...

Disconnect or change any unneeded wired peripherals like USB front panel headers, USB hub/splitters, unneeded internal hard drives, and even replace a wired keyboard or mouse, and/or try differetn USB ports on mainboard, as any partial short can cause weird things...

Are CPU temps under control/normal?

Ralston18

Titan
Desktop (Power Issues) question:

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

RAM question:

Make and model laptop?

The laptop's User Guide/Manual should provide some listing of support RAM and associated configurations.

Details matter. Try going to RAM manufacturer's websites: Kingston, PNY, Samsung. Search using your laptop make, model, version etc. to find what RAM is compatible. Pay attention to version numbers.

well, if symptoms seemed similar thru another PSU, we cannot rule out the GPU or even a RAM stick causing a partial brownout/lockup...

Do you have 2 ram sticks or 4?

Remove half your RAM, and retest for stability....if no change, test the other half...

Disconnect or change any unneeded wired peripherals like USB front panel headers, USB hub/splitters, unneeded internal hard drives, and even replace a wired keyboard or mouse, and/or try differetn USB ports on mainboard, as any partial short can cause weird things...

Are CPU temps under control/normal?

Solution

DivneBloodline

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2014
PSU: Corsair, RM 750x, 750 Watts, Not sure about the age, as far as condition it is almost brand new, never used before I put in my system two weeks ago.

Laptop is a Dell Inspirion 5485. Dell says the motherboard is tested for 16GB @ 2400MHz, SO-DIMM 260 pin. The two options I was look at for RAM was the Corsair Vengeance, and Timetec Hynix IC. Both should be compatible.