[SOLVED] Connect 4 (3-pin) fans to mobo with only one fan header ?

Aug 3, 2021
Hey so I bought the Corsair SPEC-DELTA RGB case which comes with 4 fans, 3 of which are RGB. All 4 fans use 3 pin connections. The problem is, my mobo is the B450M PRO-M2 MAX which only has one SYS_FAN fan header. So using splitter isn't really an option as the power usage would likely be too high for one header and hubs don't seem to be able to control speed for 3 pin connection as they only support PWM speed control. I saw that the Phanteks PH-PWHUB_01 might be a good option but it's unavailable atm.
What should I do to power all fans while still having the option to control their speed?

Also, buying new fans or a new mobo is not an option for me.

Solution
Four fans on one header often is OK. To start, the normal mobo fan header can supply up to 1.0 A max load current. So what you need is the max current spec of each fan you have, and then add them up. That MAY be on the label on each fan, or maybe you can only get a fan model number and check the Corsair website for the info. Often you will find that the MOTORS use at max 0.10 to 0.25 A, so four of them is likely OK, but do check to be sure! The current requirements fo the LIGHTS in three of the fans are NOT part of this calculation.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Four fans on one header often is OK. To start, the normal mobo fan header can supply up to 1.0 A max load current. So what you need is the max current spec of each fan you have, and then add them up. That MAY be on the label on each fan, or maybe you can only get a fan model number and check the Corsair website for the info. Often you will find that the MOTORS use at max 0.10 to 0.25 A, so four of them is likely OK, but do check to be sure! The current requirements fo the LIGHTS in three of the fans are NOT part of this calculation.

Solution

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yeah, although the fan itself says 0.38 A, it does not split that up between fan motor and lights. I would guess the motor uses less, but that is a GUESS, and we can't rely on that!

You are on the right track with Phanteks. Your problem is that the item you linked to is old and may be discontinued, because Phanteks has a new much better unit out now.

https://www.phanteks.com/PH-PWHUB_02.html

This unit has BOTH 3-pin and 4-pin output ports. There are three for 3-pin only, and the Port #1 that you really SHOULD use anyway will handle both fan motor types, so you can run four 3-pin fans from this Hub. It has a valuable feature that, no matter which type of mobo header you connect to it with its supplied cable, it can detect the incoming signal type and accept either. I'd suggest setting your SYS_FAN header to PWM Mode. The Hub "translates" between modes, so it CAN control your 3-pin fans properly. It comes with a manual control box in case you cannot connect to a mobo fan header, but do NOT use that option.

Aug 3, 2021
Well I had seen that option but had seen the price on Amazon and thought that would probably be too much, just found it on Newegg at 17$ though. I think that might be best. Thanks for the help. Have a nice day.