Nov 16, 2019
Hi,
I have a box in my closet that connects my modem to the internet with quite a few cables that are in the box that can be used to connect the internet throughout the house. This is my 3rd house I’ve lived in with it and I’ve never successfully been able to get internet in the different rooms so I’m trying this. I’ve confirmed the intent and modem is working. There’s a cable labeled “living room” and I have that plugged into “LAN1” into the modem. In my living room, I connected the Ethernet cord into the wall and “internet” connection on the router but it is not working. I can connect to the router wirelessly but I cannot access the internet. I do also have a grey connector that allows one Ethernet cable to be plugged in one end and another on the other end and I’ve tried using that too and still not working. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Solution
Before considering the concept of putting the router somewhere else you MUST find out how the cabling is done. Typically there is a point outside where the cable(source) comes in. From there it usually branches out like a star. Each leg separate from the central point. Phone lines are done the same. I have never seen a home that has ethernet cabling so I can not speak to that.
Nov 16, 2019
The internet works. I ended up putting the router in my closet and connected the modem and router directly together but I’d still like to put the router somewhere else in the house so it’s more centrally located in the home

Nov 15, 2019
Before considering the concept of putting the router somewhere else you MUST find out how the cabling is done. Typically there is a point outside where the cable(source) comes in. From there it usually branches out like a star. Each leg separate from the central point. Phone lines are done the same. I have never seen a home that has ethernet cabling so I can not speak to that.

Solution
Nov 16, 2019
It’s more likely a cat5 or cat5e connection. It seems pretty common and it’s the 3rd house I’ve lived in with the setup. Perhaps I just need to hire someone to just show me what needs to be connected and where