Question Connection drops frequently, but only one device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
I have a wireless network set up in my home, provided by a Comcast Technicolor TC8305C router.

The connected devices which are all connected wirelessly are:
1 desktop computer (the one dropping the connection)
2 laptops
1 iPad
2 iPhones
All other devices hold the connection whilst my desktop drops it frequently, and the other devices are even sometimes further from the router than the desktop is.

I understand there must be some type of communication problem between the router and my desktop, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what it is.
When it does drop, it will always say I'm still connected to the network, but will say No Internet Access.
The desktop is approx. 10-15 feet away from the router.
The connection type is WPA 2 Personal with AES encrypting.
The connection has not dropped a single time for several months. This problem started occurring Oct. 24th.
Please note, I had already checked for possible interference and had already tried resetting the router, as well as power-cycling the router and the desktop.

Thank you for your time in advance.

HyNrgy

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014
have you installed any new programs/drivers/updates since then (meaning since the 23rd or 24th)? you may want to see if there have been any windows updates or driver updates? Have you tried booting into safemode with networking and see if problem persist?

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014

There were a couple Windows Updates that I had downloaded the same week, as well as an update to Avast! Antivirus.
Those were the only updates I initiated. The issue does persist within safemode with networking. I called Comcast about it and they told me to exchange my router for a new one (same model). I will close this thread in two days if this had fixed the problem, if not, I will let you know.

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014

The problem still persists after the replacement router has been installed.

HyNrgy

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014
i assume you do not have phone service with them then? Personally see if they have an Arris modem/router, i like them better from my experiences. If you can get an Arris that may help narrow down some things because sometimes they update the routers remotely with bootfiles and all. May the technicolor got an update. Not sure at this point but I do hope swaping solves issue.

If you would please post even if that fixes it so that if another user has same issue they might see your solution

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014

Alright, I'll call them as soon as I can and ask about it.
They've always been strict with what they hand out for some reason.
I'll reply with the results within 4 days.

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014

So, it turns out this router is in fact an Arris router. But getting a replacement did not stop the issue.
So I went into the WiFi settings and checked "Connect even if network isn't displaying an SSID."
This could change, but as of now I haven't had any drops since then, except the fact that the computer never automatically connects after waking up from sleep mode, even if the power options and "connect when network is within range" has been checked.

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
Update: All problems have ceased. The only two things that had changed for me was checking "Connect even if network isn't displaying an SSID" and my father finally turning the heat on. I once heard that WiFi weakens when the air is colder, so it is possible that a cold house can reduce the signal strength. I will keep this thread open just in case the drops start again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS