dogester366

Reputable
Jan 2, 2018
I have an i5-9600k that I overclocked to 5 GHz with 1.35v. Originally, I applied 1.25v and that crashed, so I bumped it up to 1.3v, another crash, and I finally got it stable at 1.35v. I did some benchmarks and played some games, and it was fine and never reached over 80 Celsius. After I shut it down and rebooted it the next day, I noticed it stayed at 5 GHz and 1.35v for about 10 seconds after startup, then dropped to 4.6Ghz and 1.135v. I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but the max turbo boost for my processor is 4.6Ghz. I don't know if the clocks and voltage are reporting wrong since in the BIOS, it stays at a constant 5 GHz and says 1.35v. Plus, in games, I get the same temperatures as I did when the overclock reported as 5 Ghz. Every program I tried said it went down to 4.6 GHz and around 1.135v (HWMonitor, CPU-z, Core Temp, Task Manager)

I have an MSI Z390 Tomohawk board with the latest bios (I had the same bios revision when it worked right), and I also have both the 8 pin cpu connector, and the 4 pin cpu connector plugged in. I'm using the exact settings that MSI's overclocking guide used, except for my voltage being lower. I already tried their recommended voltage too. My settings are as followed: CPU ratio = 50, Ring Ratio = 47, Core Voltage = 1.350v, Intel C-State = Disabled, EIST = Disabled, Intel Turbo Boost = Disabled, CPU Loadline Calibration Control = Mode 3

EDIT: Forgot to mention my voltage mode is set to override, and my core clock mode is set to fixed.

Last edited: