emr

Nov 23, 2018
I have an i5 7400 and gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H motherboard which is showing my cpu temp at 100c in the bios and around 54c in HWmonitor? Using a stock intel cooler and it's properly mounted as I've checked twice plus nothing feels very hot when touching the cooler

Yeah, there's something wrong. If the supposed temperature is 100 degrees, you can't touch the heatsink without burning your hand. Are you sure you're checking the right temperature in HWMonitor? I'm guessing you're looking at the CPU Package, not the highest core temperature.

Then again, your BIOS temps should be (much) lower than in Windows. It seems your BIOS isn't working correctly. If you don't see anything weird in Windows itself and it doesn't shut down when putting the CPU under load, it pretty much has to be a "faulty" BIOS. Maybe updating your BIOS version could help.

emr

Nov 23, 2018
Yeah, there's something wrong. If the supposed temperature is 100 degrees, you can't touch the heatsink without burning your hand. Are you sure you're checking the right temperature in HWMonitor? I'm guessing you're looking at the CPU Package, not the highest core temperature.

Then again, your BIOS temps should be (much) lower than in Windows. It seems your BIOS isn't working correctly. If you don't see anything weird in Windows itself and it doesn't shut down when putting the CPU under load, it pretty much has to be a "faulty" BIOS. Maybe updating your BIOS version could help.

I can easily run games like The Division 2 and Rainbow six siege without any issues or shut downs which I'd expect if it were overheating. I'm a bit iffy on updating the Bios with the potential of bricking the board

Great, I left out the warning for updating your BIOS, you already know the hazards. :)

If you don't notice anything wrong with the computer when using it, I'd say screw it and let it be. I don't know what board you have, but some have dual BIOS setups and BIOS resets. If that's the case, there's not much that can go wrong.

Reactions: emr

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I would definitely check and see what BIOS version you are using and if there is a newer version flash it via QFlash (from BIOS setup) or from a DOS bootable USB using the DOS flash utility for your exact MB/BIOS.
If there is no newer version try re-flashing the current version and reset all settings to default optimized and see if the sensor correctly reads the CPU temp.
Your MB has Dual BIOS so it is Really safe when it comes to updating the BIOS, the chance of bricking the board when flashing your MB are almost zero.
Just google instruction for using Q-flash or Flashing your exact MB from DOS and also look up recovering from a failed flash using the Dual BIOS recovery feature.

Last edited:
Reactions: emr