Oct 19, 2024
Hi everyone,

I’m working on a Dell G15 5515 (Ryzen 7 5800H, RTX 3050 Ti) and recently installed a compatible 4-zone RGB keyboard and controller (for Dell G15 5510/5511/5515 models). While the keyboard functions for typing, the RGB lighting is not detected by Alienware Command Center (AWCC), which displays “No AlienFX devices found.”

What I’ve Tried So Far:
  • Reseated the cables.
  • Reinstalled AWCC and AlienFX services.
  • Attempted BIOS downgrade but no improvement.
  • Inspected ribbon cables for damage.
  • Explored the possibility of BIOS or EC firmware issues with various versions, without success.
  • Have realized that similar models like the Alienware M15 R5 have specific keyboard controller drivers available on Dell’s support site, hinting at potential cross-model compatibility solutions.
  • Have tried a few other things, if required I can detail in replies.
Progress and Insights:
  • I’ve identified that the AWCC fails to recognize the keyboard post-installation, despite being a compatible model.
  • Found out that BIOS downgrades were unsuccessful and blocked by system security features meant to prevent firmware regressions.
  • Investigated similar issues found on platforms like WinRaid, where BIOS or EC modding was suggested as a possible solution.
  • Have contacted Dell Support and they were absolutely 0 help.
What I Suspect:
  • There could be a BIOS or EC firmware issue preventing the RGB controller from being recognized. Since the hardware is compatible, I’m looking for help with modding BIOS or EC firmware to get the RGB controller working properly.
  • Could also have to do with a driver that’s not readily available or installing due to service tag mismatch. Possibly someone can send me their driver files info that has a working rgb g15 setup.
Seeking Help On:
  • Modding tools, methods, or existing solutions to enable RGB functionality on Dell G15 5515.
  • Any guidance on firmware modifications that might have worked on similar models, or advice from those who’ve faced and fixed similar issues.
Any guidance on modding tools, methods, or existing solutions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I’ve identified that the AWCC fails to recognize the keyboard post-installation, despite being a compatible model.
Out of curiosity, can you pass on a picture of what your keyboard looks like? I'm seeing that the laptop you own has two variants for the keyboard. The red variant is backlit only, the RGB variant is the one with clear keycaps and the variant you can manipulate the lighting on it.