vlatko_1

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2016
Hi guys i have a one question, I have Lenovo y520-15ikbn with i5 7300hq, 1050ti 4gb aaand one stick of 8gb memory: model sk Hynix hma81gs6cjr8n-vk, ok now I want to update one more 8gb ram stick buuut i cant find same brand but I found this one mta8atf1g64hz-2g6e1, like, I compere in every specs its same with my ram: 2666mhz cl19 with 19 19 19 time latency 1.2v and etc.. i dont understand much..
My question is: does will have a dual channel experience or not with this two types of memory: hma81gs6cjr8n-vk AND mta8atf1g64hz-2g6e1 ?
p.s. my 8 modul ram in the pc work on 2400mhz with 17 17 17 timing show on cpuz because y520 board is max 16gb 2400mhz...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
It is best to purchase matching memory sticks. Trying to mix timings and speeds especially may result in non-boot or reduced speed. (ie defaulting to the slowest default)

I would go for something as near to identical as you can get, which I think is what you have there.

Reactions: vlatko_1

vlatko_1

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2016
It is best to purchase matching memory sticks. Trying to mix timings and speeds especially may result in non-boot or reduced speed. (ie defaulting to the slowest default)

I would go for something as near to identical as you can get, which I think is what you have there.

Bro i know what is best, but in this my case i ask what to except for this same specs ram modules, some who already do this or who have some experience... thanks but dont help me much hehe :)

Mixed brands/sets or even mhz speeds should not pose any problems

Dual channel only requires you to have at least two ram sticks - they don't necessarily have to match

It is true that the ram will only works as fast as the "slowest" ramstick you have
But you don't notice it outside of benchmarks
besides, having more ram is ALWAYS better then having "fast" but less ram

Try and match the speed and if possible the timings - but i wouldn't worry too much

tl;dr matched is best but it makes a tiny difference in performance

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
What to expect? You're going to get a mixed bag on that one.
In theory, sticks with the same speeds and timings SHOULD work, and results will split off from there.
For reference:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ddr-dram-myths,4155.html#p2

vlatko_1

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2016
What to expect? You're going to get a mixed bag on that one.
In theory, sticks with the same speeds and timings SHOULD work, and results will split off from there.
For reference:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ddr-dram-myths,4155.html#p2

Like I say only the brand is different, all other is the same, latency cl19 with 19 19 19 on 2666mhz 8gb ram ddr4 1.2mv etc. and i open for those rams specs and everything is same, only different is the brand... in that case you want to say that i will have mixed bugs? do you have like this experience or you say what other say? I need someone who have experience to tell me, it is good or not... thanks

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not much more to explain. There is no guarantee. Most memory products are not marketed with the complete timings so even if they look identical, they might not be. With memory manufactured at different times using different process nodes you never really know.

They are sold in sets for a reason, and getting memory to run together is a process of testing and binning.

If you buy sets with identical numbers, it should work. You seem to want someone to respond that they mixed memory in the same model? Or that they have mixed memory in other laptops with no issues? I'm sure you could find such references if you searched, particularly on Lenovo's forums.

vlatko_1

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2016
Not much more to explain. There is no guarantee. Most memory products are not marketed with the complete timings so even if they look identical, they might not be. With memory manufactured at different times using different process nodes you never really know.

They are sold in sets for a reason, and getting memory to run together is a process of testing and binning.

If you buy sets with identical numbers, it should work. You seem to want someone to respond that they mixed memory in the same model? Or that they have mixed memory in other laptops with no issues? I'm sure you could find such references if you searched, particularly on Lenovo's forums.

I search so many forums, videos and etc... nobody knows exactly... but I will buy it tomorrow because its so cheep like 20$ and i will test it and i will share the experience for somebody in future like me... XD

Memory manufacturers don't guarantee such combinations to work. Using identical modules adds additional stress on the memory controller which may cause the memory to no longer be able to operate at rated specifications.

You can make any combinations you want and do your own compatibility testing without any guarantees.

vlatko_1

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2016
Memory manufacturers don't guarantee such combinations to work. Using identical modules adds additional stress on the memory controller which may cause the memory to no longer be able to operate at rated specifications.

You can make any combinations you want and do your own compatibility testing without any guarantees.

in this moment i just speak with some friend they use two different ram modules, different brand different MHz and work super fast without any bugs and etc... yeah the MHz is from the lower ram but its work, and they use not just for gaming they do also professional video editing, etc...

I also will try on my own laptop tomorrow and share also my experience.
p.s. thanks to all for your time to explain to me and others x)

vlatko_1

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2016
very nice!

yes you can test your ram;

OK I PLAYED BF5 ABOUT ONE HOUR AND FPS NOW IS F.. STABLE, AFTER THAT I PLAYED ABOUT ONE HOUR FORTNITE ALSO I GAIN 30-40 FPS MORE AND DOESNT HAVE NOW FPS DROPS, NOW IT ON PRIME95 ONE HOUR AND BY FAR EVERYTHING IS OK AND NO FREEZES OR ERRORS I WILL LEAVE ONE MORE HOUR AND THEN I WILL RUN THIS MEMTEST86 :) STAY TUNED HAHAHAHAH

vlatko_1

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2016
OK THIS IS IN THE END LONG STORY SHORT: TWO STICKS SAME SPECS (MHZ, TIMING, PINS, CAPACITY AND SO ON AND SO ON) BUT DIFFERENT BRANDS, YES WORKS FOR ME LIKE A BEAST FROM THE MIDDLE EAST! HAHAHAH
EVERY STRESS TEST PASS! ALSO PLAYING GAMES LIKE 5-6 HOURS MORE THEN I EXPECTED SO SATISFY!
AND DEFINITELY DUAL CHANEL IS WORTH!

CHEER TO ME FOR SOLVE MY PROBLEM HAHAHAHHA