Zapthos

Reputable
Dec 31, 2016
So I've got some issues with my Asus K53SC. I've tried reinstalling Windows, updating all drivers, and updating the BIOS.
These are my issues:
  • Laptop won't reboot, I have to do it manually (even when installing Windows)
  • Bootloops as soon as I plug in any USB device
  • Some keyboard keys don't work (even after replacing keyboard)
  • Resets BIOS every time I unplug battery & charger (even after replacing CMOS)
  • Power button has to be pressed multiple times to power the laptop on and the light doesn't go on
  • Charging is slow sometimes

Solution
UPDATE: I fixed most issues.
A piece of the CMOS battery holder was broken off. Put it back together with superglue and now I can shutdown without having to reinstall Windows and losing BIOS settings. For the power button, there was a screw loose. Put it back in and it clicks way better. LED still doesn't work, but idc about that (probably because of the lost pins on the burnt spot). The new keyboard apparantly has a cable going right, but the original one had it going left. It is probably upside down then, so I'll return this keyboard and order the correct one. Reboot issue is kinda fixed, in the OS it works again, but on the Windows installer it's still broken. So the remaining issues aren't worth bothering to me.
Look usb and other ports for shorted pins with flashlight. Remove main battery and connect only power cable, incase of bad battery acting up.

Have you tried another charger? If not you can test voltage with multimeter if you have one

Any liquid ever spilled on it?

Zapthos

Reputable
Dec 31, 2016
Look usb and other ports for shorted pins with flashlight. Remove main battery and connect only power cable, incase of bad battery acting up.

Have you tried another charger? If not you can test voltage with multimeter if you have one

Any liquid ever spilled on it?
The ports look fine to me. I've removed the battery and only using charger, same issues. I'll try using my sister's charger soon (from a toshiba laptop, power output is the same and I've used it before when the original charger broke). Wouldn't suprise me if the charger is the problem here, I've replaced it many times and every time I plug it into an outlet it gives some crazy shock. Never spilled anything on it, but I bought it used in 2016 so the previous owner may have spilled something over it, but I don't see that causing issues cause it's long ago.

When I replaced the keyboard I noticed that the power cable slot was burnt and 1 pin was missing and the other was broken off. This is probably why the led doesn't work and the power button needs to be pressed multiple times.
4cZefLn.jpg

Dear lord, i guess we found the issue, shorted power button connector pins Or the button itself.

Remove main battery, remove power cable. Disassembly until you power button connector and carefully remove it. Inspect the area and take another pic

Zapthos

Reputable
Dec 31, 2016
Dear lord, i guess we found the issue, shorted power button connector pins Or the button itself.

Remove main battery, remove power cable. Disassembly until you power button connector and carefully remove it. Inspect the area and take another pic
This is what the connector on the board looks like:
WTxg4Bl
HpxwkM5.jpg

This is what the connector on the button looks like:
KqHwjWJ.jpg

From what I can see the button part is fine, it's just on the motherboard. There was some smoke coming from that area a fea years ago, so I'm assuming it's been burnt for some time.

Zapthos

Reputable
Dec 31, 2016
UPDATE: I fixed most issues.
A piece of the CMOS battery holder was broken off. Put it back together with superglue and now I can shutdown without having to reinstall Windows and losing BIOS settings. For the power button, there was a screw loose. Put it back in and it clicks way better. LED still doesn't work, but idc about that (probably because of the lost pins on the burnt spot). The new keyboard apparantly has a cable going right, but the original one had it going left. It is probably upside down then, so I'll return this keyboard and order the correct one. Reboot issue is kinda fixed, in the OS it works again, but on the Windows installer it's still broken. So the remaining issues aren't worth bothering to me.

Solution
Good stuff! Make sure that the cmos battery "socket" has good connections or you might get same issue later on if it breaks again, if its the plastic part only then superglue will work but if some of the metal pins holding it together from each site are broken you might need some soldering work there.

"There was some smoke coming from that area a fea years ago, " :ROFLMAO: You just lucked out big time

The power button connector (motherboard side) is seriously messed up, 3rd pin is "power on" from the white arrow, that always points which is pin1, pin 4-5 seems to be completely destroyed. There might be something on the power button board itself which caused this or not. Just look closely its fine, if it is then you can use it without the power led function. Just makes sure nothing on the motherboard power button connector is shorted out (touching any other pin)

And for the keyboard you need to have same pin layout on the connector or you might end up damaging the mainboard.

What do you mean "windows installer" is broken, are you trying to do clean install right now and it gets stuck or you mean windows updates?
How on earth was the cmos battery holder broken in the first place?

Zapthos

Reputable
Dec 31, 2016
Good stuff! Make sure that the cmos battery "socket" has good connections or you might get same issue later on if it breaks again, if its the plastic part only then superglue will work but if some of the metal pins holding it together from each site are broken you might need some soldering work there.

"There was some smoke coming from that area a fea years ago, " :ROFLMAO: You just lucked out big time

The power button connector (motherboard side) is seriously messed up, 3rd pin is "power on" from the white arrow, that always points which is pin1, pin 4-5 seems to be completely destroyed. There might be something on the power button board itself which caused this or not. Just look closely its fine, if it is then you can use it without the power led function. Just makes sure nothing on the motherboard power button connector is shorted out (touching any other pin)

And for the keyboard you need to have same pin layout on the connector or you might end up damaging the mainboard.

What do you mean "windows installer" is broken, are you trying to do clean install right now and it gets stuck or you mean windows updates?
How on earth was the cmos battery holder broken in the first place?
The CMOS connection seems good. The crack was on the other side.

The power button seems fine other than that led part. I've used it like this for like 3 years probably and never had any issues other than this.

Will look into a proper keyboard, will try from Asus themselves, but they probably don't sell these anymore so I'll have to buy a 3rd party.

With the restart not working while installing Windows I mean when I clean install from a USB and it needs to reboot itself (which usually happens like 3 times) it stays on a blue screen and only closes the installation window.