Question Do these missing CPU socket pins are essential?

Lutfij

Titan
You could try and straighten the pins using a needle, a magnifying glass and perhaps a credit card as a support though people with shaky hands can and will only make things worse. Considering you damaged the pins, you won't be able to avail an RMA instead your seller or your board maker(Asus) will ask for a socket repair fee.

Perhaps try and contact your seller/Asus and assess the cost of the repair and a new board. Also factor in the lead time.

USAFRet

Titan
Some are bent and 2 broken at first sight.
Broken?
Replace the motherboard.

Unbending pins can maybe be done, but it is a VERY tricky procedure.
I did it once:

Bent motherboard pins
Before - No boot
1a9v061.jpg
After - boot success
oenFyWk.jpg
to fix:
JYUnC45.png

Oct 9, 2022
You could try and straighten the pins using a needle, a magnifying glass and perhaps a credit card as a support though people with shaky hands can and will only make things worse. Considering you damaged the pins, you won't be able to avail an RMA instead your seller or your board maker(Asus) will ask for a socket repair fee.

Perhaps try and contact your seller/Asus and assess the cost of the repair and a new board. Also factor in the lead time.
OK. I will try to contact Asus then to assess the cost of a repair. Do you know if they do this and approximately what the rate would be? Otherwise, I'm ordering a low-end Z690, but I'm afraid it sucks.

Lutfij

Titan
Do you know if they do this and approximately what the rate would be?
Nope, the cost of repair is relative to your region, not joking.

As my colleague above has stated, it's tricky...you can take your pick with which route to go(new board or repair or self repair). Though the latter won't bring back your missing pins. Personally I've unbent pins on an Asus H97M-E board...after taking a lot of high quality images of the CPU socket to identify the bent pins(the pins were bent in a way that you needed to angle the board to see them though it didn't affect functionality, I straightened them due to my OCD).

Reactions: Exploding PSU
Oct 9, 2022
Do you know if they do this and approximately what the rate would be?
Nope, the cost of repair is relative to your region, not joking.

As my colleague above has stated, it's tricky...you can take your pick with which route to go(new board or repair or self repair). Though the latter won't bring back your missing pins. Personally I've unbent pins on an Asus H97M-E board...after taking a lot of high quality images of the CPU socket to identify the bent pins(the pins were bent in a way that you needed to angle the board to see them though it didn't affect functionality, I straightened them due to my OCD).
Alright thanks for getting back.

I will check with Asus then.
If I go on a new motherboard, knowing that I have a 12700K, what would you advise me? I'm not specifically planning to overclock it, but I want something quality.

Not all pins are needed for proper operation.
For example, those supporting two ram slots that are not used will not impact you.
Or, a damaged pin might not enable dual channel operation.

Your best bet is to try to fix the pins.
They do not usually break, but bent out of position.
A needle is a good tool to try to straighten them out.
If you are shaky, get a jeweler to try.
It can't hurt to try. If you fail, the motherboard is toast anyway, and not eligible for a RMA due to pin damage.
You will not damage the cpu.
Be careful to drop the cpu in cleanly.
If you wiggle it around to seat it, you will damage pins.

Last time I had to return a motherboard to gigabyte for repair, it cost me $50.

With a 12700K, you would run perfectly well with a B660 based motherboard. You can find a decent one for perhaps $100-$150.
Gamers do not try to overclock a K.
Instead, the normal turbo mechanism boosts a core or two past what an all core overclock could do.

Oct 9, 2022
Not all pins are needed for proper operation.
For example, those supporting two ram slots that are not used will not impact you.
Or, a damaged pin might not enable dual channel operation.

Your best bet is to try to fix the pins.
They do not usually break, but bent out of position.
A needle is a good tool to try to straighten them out.
If you are shaky, get a jeweler to try.
It can't hurt to try. If you fail, the motherboard is toast anyway, and not eligible for a RMA due to pin damage.
You will not damage the cpu.
Be careful to drop the cpu in cleanly.
If you wiggle it around to seat it, you will damage pins.

Last time I had to return a motherboard to gigabyte for repair, it cost me $50.

With a 12700K, you would run perfectly well with a B660 based motherboard. You can find a decent one for perhaps $100-$150.
Gamers do not try to overclock a K.
Instead, the normal turbo mechanism boosts a core or two past what an all core overclock could do.
It works thanks for the answer. If I have time, I'll try the home repair.
For the new B660 motherboard then. The H670 and Z690 are useless for me?
What models do you recommend? I have 3 nvme (2 gen 4 and a sata) and quite a few external devices (simulation).

It works thanks for the answer. If I have time, I'll try the home repair.
For the new B660 motherboard then. The H670 and Z690 are useless for me?
What models do you recommend? I have 3 nvme (2 gen 4 and a sata) and quite a few external devices (simulation).
All 3 chipsets will work.
But, since you have a need for many m.2 and sata ports, a full ATX Z690 motherboard is likely best. Check how many and what kinds of m.2 connectors are available.
I think you will find more on a Z690 based motherboard.
Extenrnal drives may be connected via usb ports, and how many such back panel ports a motherboard has will differ.
Of course, you may be able to supplement those with an add in expansion card.

Oct 9, 2022
All 3 chipsets will work.
But, since you have a need for many m.2 and sata ports, a full ATX Z690 motherboard is likely best. Check how many and what kinds of m.2 connectors are available.
I think you will find more on a Z690 based motherboard.
Extenrnal drives may be connected via usb ports, and how many such back panel ports a motherboard has will differ.
Of course, you may be able to supplement those with an add in expansion card.

Ok thank you very much for this information.
What brand or model do you recommend for me to have a quality card?

TRENDING THREADS