Aug 26, 2020
Hello all! Bought my main rig back at Sept 2017:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
GPU: Gigabyte 1060 G1 Gaming 6GB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2666Mhz
MoBo: Asus Prime B350 Plus

I have recently upgraded my ram to a set of 2x8 Corsair RGB Pro 3200 Mhz same timings as my last kit (16-18-18-36 ), so far seems to run at 3200 stable without issues, yet the jump from 2666 to 3200 did not improve the gaming performance at all, after that I decided to OC my GPU since the warranty expired... +150Mhz GPU Clock, +500Mhz memory speed + 20% voltage and +11% power supply....same story here..no performance gains.

Million dollar question: Does my CPU bottleneck the performance gains from my upgrades? if so should I overclock it and any ideas about the ideal OC settings for my particular CPU model?

Solution
No. And you can drop the voltage added to the gpu, it's excessive and unnecessary, at most you'd add 10mv, IF needed to match power limits.

What's the quantifyer of performance raised? What you can see on the monitor? What a benchmark tells you?

Most people wouldn't /couldn't see the @ 15% increase in performance from the ram. It might add a few fps under a stress test, but mostly it'd add more fps to the minimums, not the maximum. The minimums being where the intensity of the program creates such a huge amount of info that the cpu cannot render as many frames as prior. The added infinity fabric performance bumping cpu strength, so the low fps isn't as low. Makes for smoother game play, but ppl aren't looking for that, they...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No. And you can drop the voltage added to the gpu, it's excessive and unnecessary, at most you'd add 10mv, IF needed to match power limits.

What's the quantifyer of performance raised? What you can see on the monitor? What a benchmark tells you?

Most people wouldn't /couldn't see the @ 15% increase in performance from the ram. It might add a few fps under a stress test, but mostly it'd add more fps to the minimums, not the maximum. The minimums being where the intensity of the program creates such a huge amount of info that the cpu cannot render as many frames as prior. The added infinity fabric performance bumping cpu strength, so the low fps isn't as low. Makes for smoother game play, but ppl aren't looking for that, they are watching the fps counter. Cpu is fps limits.

Gpu is the fps put on screen. If you are pushing a 60Hz or even a 144Hz monitor and have 200fps capable from gpu, wouldn't make a difference if OC made that 500fps capable, you get 60fps or 144fps viewable, so the screen doesn't change.

What can change is the ability to add detailing and maintain the same fps on screen. Playing at ultra 100fps instead of very high 100fps.

Solution
Hello all! Bought my main rig back at Sept 2017:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
GPU: Gigabyte 1060 G1 Gaming 6GB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2666Mhz
MoBo: Asus Prime B350 Plus

I have recently upgraded my ram to a set of 2x8 Corsair RGB Pro 3200 Mhz same timings as my last kit (16-18-18-36 ), so far seems to run at 3200 stable without issues, yet the jump from 2666 to 3200 did not improve the gaming performance at all, after that I decided to OC my GPU since the warranty expired... +150Mhz GPU Clock, +500Mhz memory speed + 20% voltage and +11% power supply....same story here..no performance gains.

Million dollar question: Does my CPU bottleneck the performance gains from my upgrades? if so should I overclock it and any ideas about the ideal OC settings for my particular CPU model?
What games are you playing and what resolution? As a general rule gaming gets bottlenecked by cpu at lower resolution with an extremely powerful GPU when looking for super high FPS. 1060's aren't really that powerful, although neither is a first gen Zen CPU.

But it is important to consider that only certain types of games really benefit from super high FPS. Those that don't often put unrealistic demands on even more powerful GPU's (not CPU) when trying to get high FPS at the higher resolutions where their richly detailed graphics are meant to be appreciated.

Last edited: